Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post

Wow Craig. That's a timely reminder. I believe there was a post recently about a member (or members) planning on taking that ride.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #22
curtiscapk

Danny,

it's this post....
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #23
xrated

We live 18 miles from the start of the Dragon and people getting killed up there happens way too frequently....many times there are at least a couple a year. I have surmised from reading about and witnessing some of the carnage, that one of the biggest reasons for the accidents is the inability for the motorcyclist to be able to keep control of their bike on the correct side of the double yellow line. How I wish I had a dollar for every time that I've seen bikes/cars/trucks/you name it....coming around a totally blind corner (and there are lots and lots of them up there) and being on or over the double yellow. And to be honest, it's a lot more the cruiser style bikes doing this, than sport bikes and motards. I remember about 10 years ago my wife and I were riding our bikes up there and following a groups of 7 cruisers/baggers up the hill. At mile marker 10.2 there is a fairly sharp left-hander and the first guy in the group of 7 rode straight up the hill and totally missed the turn....zero attempt to try and turn the bike, and straight off the side of the mountain.....WTH? I pretty much make it a point to not ride that road on weekends anymore...it's just too crazy and crowded. Fortunately, I have the luxury of riding it when I want to, as I'm now retired and can pick and choose my days and times. One final warning if you go up there....STAY IN YOUR LANE AND OFF THE DOUBLE YELLOW!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #24
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wow Craig. That's a timely reminder. I believe there was a post recently about a member (or members) planning on taking that ride.
thanks Danny the OP could have said watch for wild animals. I hit a wild pig maybe 200 lbs at rock port Texas in a wild life refuge. I was down to 5 mph when this hog plowed in front of me, I turned but the pig got Squirrley . When I hit it was like slow motion bounced off the hog .Texas is a helmet state. We each got skinned Elbows . The ranger couldn’t believe we where not hurt more . The front fender was bent and I pushed it together .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #25
bsmith0404

I think there’s a road like that in every corner of every state, most just not as famous, probably because of the length. We used to take group rides on one in my area, never failed, no matter how much we talked about it before the ride, someone would lay a bike down on it.

We really like the Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) bike run in Nov. it’s a fishing/resort town on the north coast of the Sea of Cortez. There’s a ton of Condos and vacation rental homes down there so most people stay in those. We take the RV down and camp on the beach. It’s relaxing when we want to be and fun when we want that as well. It helps that my wife speaks Spanish, but not necessary since most of the Condos and rental houses are owned by US citizens. There’s plenty of people who speak English.

They get some really good bands out of the Phoenix area for concerts. We also typically take a day to go fishing as well. Have seen a lot of dolphins, seals, and even a couple Orcas on our trips down there.

Enjoy your trip, have fun, and ride safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACBCD332-05CF-4723-AD1B-1045112526B2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	40298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCADC4EC-1C4D-4578-B652-7AC853549056.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	40299   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BDACA60-3B85-4BD8-9334-AC01A4A0DF6C.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	40300   Click image for larger version

Name:	1BA4309B-373B-40B6-ADB3-01EF387CECA5.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	40301  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #26
hawghauler

Sounds like a great run Mr Smith

To the guys saying be careful thanks and I will

Ive been riding and building these things my entire life forst taste was 76 I've been behind bars ever since excepting when I was raising my kids I sold off all the road bikes and danced with the trees and rocks ( they won't pull out in front of you ever. ) we have some pretty hardcore roads here in pa as well but the pavement sucks
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #27
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Sounds like a great run Mr Smith

To the guys saying be careful thanks and I will

Ive been riding and building these things my entire life forst taste was 76 I've been behind bars ever since excepting when I was raising my kids I sold off all the road bikes and danced with the trees and rocks ( they won't pull out in front of you ever. ) we have some pretty hardcore roads here in pa as well but the pavement sucks
Like I wrote above.....it's very easy to get in a crash up there and NOT be your fault.....lots and lots of people that either don't know how to drive mountain roads....or just don't care enough to stay on their side of the double yellow....and it's double yellow from start to finish, all 11 miles.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #28
hawghauler

Thanks the plan is to arrive on a Monday evening and do our riding during the work week before the idiots wake up then relax at a nice campground in the afternoon / evening.

I'll do my best to watch out for the inbreeders
Old 06-18-2022, 04:44 AM   #29
notanlines

For those planning on going: https://tailofthedragon.com/
And pay attention to xrated: Even his WIFE gave road racing lessons if I remember correctly.
And Hawg, since this area is more or less right on your way, check out https://www.cyclefish.com/forums/top...-mighty-python
and ride 'The Mighty Python' on the Virginia/Tennessee border. WAY more appropriate for a Harley-Davidson than is the 'Tail.'
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:57 AM   #30
xrated

Quote:
Thanks the plan is to arrive on a Monday evening and do our riding during the work week before the idiots wake up then relax at a nice campground in the afternoon / evening.

I'll do my best to watch out for the inbreeders
Riding during the week, instead of weekends certainly helps improve your chances of a successful ride...BUT....remember, it is tourist season there and I would venture a guess that well over 2/3 of the riders up there are tourists. It ain't the "inbreeders" you need to worry about, it's the tourists, you know, folks from out of state that come there to "conquer" the Dragon.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:20 AM   #31
hawghauler

My bike isn't you're average as I said ive been in these since i was a child this particular bike has a 130 inch Evo ( 4.250 bore ×4.625 stroke ) baker OD6 up front I'm running racetech emulators correct for my weight springs from sonic stock anti-dive wilwood 4 piston calipers and rotors I eliminated the rear rubber mount setup with solid aluminum isolators eurathane front I run spherical bearings in the arm

Now then my buels turn a bit better but they're also engineered much differently

I realize and accept the risk I incur every time I put on my helmet
Old 06-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #32
roadglide

I except the risk . I’m riding 107 M8 with pro race pipes , open headers ,468 red shaft cams and registered power max tuner . I used a torque cam because all the twisting routes I seek . The only part of American I have not ridden is in your neighborhood Northern east coast . I’m missing something up that way .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #33
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I except the risk . I’m riding 107 M8 with pro race pipes , open headers ,468 red shaft cams and registered power max tuner . I used a torque cam because all the twisting routes I seek . The only part of American I have not ridden is in your neighborhood Northern east coast . I’m missing something up that way .
I agree, not going to live my life in fear of what’s around the next corner, stupid people exist around each one. Minimizing the risk by riding mid week, early morning before too many of them are out there is always smart. A good risk assessment is always a good thing.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

I appreciate bikers that accept the risk. As fellow motorist I don't accept your risk. I have nothing against bikers and have several freinds (both male and female) that are bikers. I'm freinds with one MC club and attend many of their events. The cub is mostly current or retired LEOs and they are very conscience and do not tolerate foolishness on rides.

I have a freind that I worked with years ago that has a sport bike and travels from Texas to states all over the country to ride areas like this. She rides with a club and new members have to train and demonstrated their control before riding with the club. Of course accidents can happen but unfortunately the few irresponsible bikers can create a negative image for the vast majority of who are responsible.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #35
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Sounds like a solid combo my motor has absolutely zero harley parts I run aftermarket cases 3 pace. Crank ( balanced by darkhorse ) H beam rods ( Carrillo ) JE pistons Ultima jugs and heads kibblewhite valves him a roller rockers Andrews pushrods Jim's big axle lifters the redshift 656 cam from Pete zipper the list goes on but I'm fairly sure if you know HD you have a real good idea what this one is even though it's naturally aspirated its a stought motor making around 160 ft pounds

As I said previously the chassis is HD the suspension isn't I know bikes how to ride them well what works and alot of what doesn't

I'm.also known to play with some euro trash that ducky turns pretty nice but needs a terbski 🤠
Old 06-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #36
bsmith0404

Quote:
Sounds like a solid combo my motor has absolutely zero harley parts I run aftermarket cases 3 pace. Crank ( balanced by darkhorse ) H beam rods ( Carrillo ) JE pistons Ultima jugs and heads kibblewhite valves him a roller rockers Andrews pushrods Jim's big axle lifters the redshift 656 cam from Pete zipper the list goes on but I'm fairly sure if you know HD you have a real good idea what this one is even though it's naturally aspirated its a stought motor making around 160 ft pounds

As I said previously the chassis is HD the suspension isn't I know bikes how to ride them well what works and alot of what doesn't

I'm.also known to play with some euro trash that ducky turns pretty nice but needs a terbski 🤠
That sounds like me when I start running down the list of parts in the corvette. The Harleys are both pretty much stock except a stage 1. Have to prioritize which money pit gets fed.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #37
xrated

I've had a bit of "turning experience" myself. I spent 7 years as an Instructor/Coach for the largest Motorcycle Track Day organization in the U.S. Actually, my wife and I both were instructors and coaches for them....

She's been around a few corners too. This is a pic of her at age 62 coming out of the last turn and onto the front straight at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL

Old 06-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #38
hawghauler

X rated that is absolutely awesome I'm actually quite jealous of you both .0my main street bike pre children was an 87 fzr 750 ( that little sucker would eat !
I was racing open class 2 strokes as a teenager Maicos KTMs etc, had a CR500 but it wouldn't turn for me... Most of what I was doing was here scramble enduro here and there . I quit road riding when my son was born ,.after the kids were grown I decided I was too old for that anymore and started on the harley adventure . I've had a few they are what they are that is big heavy and tourqe for days
Old 06-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #39
hawghauler

Mr Smith I understand completely I have many bikes tools trucks and this old trailer seems to be my latest investment hole
Old 06-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #40
xrated

Quote:
X rated that is absolutely awesome I'm actually quite jealous of you both .0my main street bike pre children was an 87 fzr 750 ( that little sucker would eat !
I was racing open class 2 strokes as a teenager Maicos KTMs etc, had a CR500 but it wouldn't turn for me... Most of what I was doing was here scramble enduro here and there . I quit road riding when my son was born ,.after the kids were grown I decided I was too old for that anymore and started on the harley adventure . I've had a few they are what they are that is big heavy and tourqe for days
Thank you sir.....it was a hoot being able to Instruct folks how to ride on a track and teach them the fundamentals of riding fast and safely by using good body position on the bike, looking through the corners, and working on throttle control and braking, and then watching them improve as the day progressed.

When my wife and I first met, I asked her if she wanted to go to a track day with me to watch and see what it was all about (she had been riding motorcycles for about 15 years at that time). She instantly fell in love with that type of riding and bought a motorcycle the very next day and started riding on the street and the track. In 2011, the organization that we rode with asked both of us if we would consider joining the staff and being Instructors/Coaches for them.....and the rest was history. It was pretty funny watching the looks on some of the mostly male riders when they found out that they had just paid $200 for a track day, and they ended up with "some old woman" as an Instructor. One guy even went behind her back to the director and asked to be moved into a group that had a "male" Instructor. The director asked him why he wanted to be moved and he stated that he did want an old lady for a coach. The director started laughing and told him, come back after the morning sessions and let me know if you feel the same way. He went back to the director at lunch break and apologized and told the director....damn....she can ride that thing....I'll just stay where I'm at.