Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #1
hlh1

Bathroom cold water faucet valves reversed

Normally interior faucets are "righty tighty" and "lefty loosy", but my bath sink hot water valve is correct but the cold water is reversed from normal, as is the shower. Why did they do this? How do I fix it?
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That faucet is very common in another brand, and the only fix is to replace it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That faucet is very common in another brand, and the only fix is to replace it.

I need to stop being amazed at how poorly these RV/TTs are built...
Old 05-11-2022, 06:39 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
Forest River RVs have had that style of faucet for the last 10+ years that I know of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On "SOME" faucets with removeable stem valves, you can remove the handle, loosen the valve stem, pull it out, reverse it 180 degrees and reassemble. It's just a matter of "turning it around"....

Now, that said, note the "SOME" ..... On some cheap plastic Phoenix faucets, that won't work and with the supply chain problems, there may even be other "off brand cheap faucets" being used.... Many of them do not have removeable valve stems, so don't go "muscling your way to disassembly" on a faucet that doesn't disassemble......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #6
jxnbbl

I don't think it has to do with quality. I have expensive bathroom faucets that work the same way. - clockwise on cold and counter clockwise on hot.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #7
bobbecky

Our shower faucet has lever handles and off for both of them is straight out to the sides, and open is down, so off for the hot is clockwise and off for the cold is counter clockwise, so maybe someone put a different type of knob on the faucet.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #8
hlh1

My comment toward quality is my thinking that they just used the parts they had on hand and not the right parts. But in this case, as I think about it, they used different valves to do this and it was intentional. All the rest of the faucets in my life all work the same except these causing me confusion when trying to adjust the temperature.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
My comment toward quality is my thinking that they just used the parts they had on hand and not the right parts. But in this case, as I think about it, they used different valves to do this and it was intentional. All the rest of the faucets in my life all work the same except these causing me confusion when trying to adjust the temperature.
No, that's very unlikely that any of your "problems" were intentional...

Keystone doesn't assemble the faucets, they buy them in bulk from a supplier who ships them in conex boxes to Goshen. All the workers on the line do is pull a faucet out of the conex for each type faucet called for on the build sheet (one for the bath vanity, one for the shower and one for the galley sink) and as it goes down the line, other workers "put it in the holes and tighten up the fittings...

Nobody at Keystone assembles the faucet valves to the faucet body. That's all done "somewhere in china" by someone who probably doesn't know if the end product is going to THOR (for Keystone or Dutchman or Airstream) or to Forest River (for Wildcat or Salem or Rockwood) or if it's going to Jayco, to Camping World for retail sales or if it's going to some Amazon supplier to be sold via an internet site....

I "feel your frustration" but there's no way some worker at Keystone is "intentionally installing valve stems backwards"... All they do is put the assembled faucet in the holes and move on to the next step.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #10
hlh1

I just surmised that the way these valves were made, or installed, was intentional and not by accident, or by what parts they had laying around, as was my original thinking. I think you're saying that Keystone uses what they're supplied with and in that scenario it's "pot luck" as to what actually gets installed. I'd like to think Keystone has a specification to meet for each part, but I'm probably wrong.

No biggie with these faucets. With you all's advice I'll get it setup like I want.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I just surmised that the way these valves were made, or installed, was intentional and not by accident, or by what parts they had laying around, as was my original thinking. I think you're saying that Keystone uses what they're supplied with and in that scenario it's "pot luck" as to what actually gets installed. I'd like to think Keystone has a specification to meet for each part, but I'm probably wrong.

No biggie with these faucets. With you all's advice I'll get it setup like I want.
Keystone's "design team and engineering team" specify what faucet features they want for each trailer model. They send that information to the procurement section which advertises for "lowest bid offers" from suppliers of RV products. After negotitions, the parts are ordered and the suppliers begin acquiring them from their sources. Some may be "left overs from last year's Jayco parts" but most are "new parts requests submitted to AlliBaba or some other "conglomerate global manufacturing consortium".... Then, as the parts are built, they're put in "sealand containers" and wind up sitting off the coast of SanDiego for weeks or months as the "supply chain catches up".... As that's happening, and there's no bathroom vanity faucets in stock in Goshen, Keystone starts looking for some emergency supply to keep the line going. They may not be the same color or the same style as what was requrested by the design team, but what they can find, they install and ship.

Trust me when I say that there's likely an issue with the correct faucet sets not being produced for Keystone, so AlliBaba pulled some from a later shipment to "fill in the need" and the china worker in whatever plant in mainland china has no beef with you, the guys on the line at Keystone don't have enough time to "check faucet handle direction and the dealer probably is happy to at least have water flow out of the faucet rather than onto the floor....

There is no "sinister conspiracy to piss you off" or to try to make the lives of other Keystone buyers more "painful".... There's enough work for all of them to do and precious little time for anyone on the line to "start taking faucets apart to rebuild them before installation"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #12
hlh1

John, I greatly appreciate your input. I've never thought any of this was a plot to frustrate me, but thought it was just overall poor quality of RV/TT construction in general. And the supply chain issues you mention are probably a BIG part of the issue.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #13
hlh1

After spending the past two weeks in the TT with the wife we're now pretty much used to the "backwards" cold water valves and will probably just leave it as is.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Just think of it like a lever handled faucets. They all turn on towards the outlet (cold cw and hot cc) and off is away from the outlet.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:05 AM   #15
Ellen

Faucets…

Before we even took delivery we replaced the kitchen and bathroom faucets with single handled ones. I have done the same at home. This is to save water. I find the spot for the temperature I want and can easily turn off the flow and restart as needed. We dry camp with family at least once a year and water is always an issue. Living in drought-ridden California is getting to be a bit like dry camping!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
It is not uncommon that vanity faucets and shower faucets have valves the turn opposite directions. Has nothing to do with build quality.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Before we even took delivery we replaced the kitchen and bathroom faucets with single handled ones. I have done the same at home. This is to save water. I find the spot for the temperature I want and can easily turn off the flow and restart as needed. We dry camp with family at least once a year and water is always an issue. Living in drought-ridden California is getting to be a bit like dry camping!
I wish everyone would think about conserving water and energy not only while camping but in hotels, at work, etc. So many people think that because they are camping or in a hotel that water and electricity are "free" or that they are "entitled " to use all they want because they paid for it. In truth nothing is free and you paid for a "normal" use of the utilities.

Wasting the utilities drives up costs and that is directly passed on to the consumer. My DW has family that think this way. At the beach the sliding door stays open and the air-conditioning set on 60°.
Ironically they are also the first people to kick and scream when the rates increase. I could never understand that illogical thinking.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:59 AM   #18
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It is not in common that vanity faucets and shower faucets have valves the turn opposite directions. Has nothing to do with build quality.

You're correct. I've just been amazed at too many other things like how these shower faucets were just screwed into the thin shower wall plastic and all were stripped. I have to up size the screws slightly for the shower faucets to hang on to the wall. The only thing holding the faucets to the wall was the caulking.

I'm very new to RVs and TTs and I'm having to understand that they're not built like a house that's meant to stand for 50+ years.

EDIT: My initial assumption that the valves were installed because it was all they had in stock, and not what was correct, was wrong. I now see that the valves installed were intentional and correct, by design.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #19
Gkri

Quote:
After spending the past two weeks in the TT with the wife we're now pretty much used to the "backwards" cold water valves and will probably just leave it as is.
Backwards is just a point of view. I'm left handed, so backwards is forwards for me.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water