Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2022, 05:29 AM   #1
Weldon

Still Here

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted here. Due to COVID, things have been crazy. Me, the Mrs, and our now 10 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son are still loving our same camper and using the heck out of it. Came back to Desoto Caverns in AL because it's 20 mins from my family and easy to see my mom who has early onset Alzheimers. Hope all is well. I see the same questionsbeing asked, just by different folks. And thankfullythe same group of 10 or so are keeping everyone safe. You guys are awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	39191  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
jasin1

Sorry to hear about your Moms issues …welcome back and glad your doing well
Old 04-10-2022, 06:03 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Glad your family is doing well and you have our prayers for your family and your mother. My mother had Althiemers and I understand the challenges. I hope she was diagnosed early and is getting treatment. Early onset is particularly cruel, I had a cousin that suffered with it in his late 40's. My best advice to you is to read, read, read about the disease and what to expect.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome back. Glad the family is still using and enjoying the camper. Looks like the covid mania is hopefully slowing down so things will improve for you.

My dad had Alzheimers as well. As Marshall said study up on it so you can be as prepared as possible because it is a bear to deal with. I would also recommend spending as much time as you can with her now while her memory is still functioning and the family can make memories with her.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
Weldon

Thanks guys. We are in year 4 of her condition. It's sad. She worked 34 years to enjoy her retirement and spend time with grandkids. 3 months after retirement, she was diagnosed. She's in a great facility and dad spends all day with her. Yesterday was a great day. She remembered me and my wife and kids. Lots of pics were taken.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

At some point medical science has to figure out a way to cure this epidemic. Sad story. BTW: I believe the purple lights you have around your trailer are for warding off vampires? Right?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
At some point medical science has to figure out a way to cure this epidemic. Sad story. BTW: I believe the purple lights you have around your trailer are for warding off vampires? Right?
Actually they are blue. Since I'm colorblind, the way I know that is pure marketing verbiage on the boxes. Could be orange and I'd never know 😀. But yes, vampires and werewolves...or because my kids thought they were cool. It's one of those. 😀. At night they definitely help us find our TT if we are in a crowded campground. Normally I have the led flag but my outdoor outlet crapped out this trip so I couldn't use it. Just something else to fix.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
jasin1

I’d like to know how many thousands of those patio rugs have been made….I have the same one and see them often at campgrounds
Old 04-10-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
Weldon

We bought ours at Wally world many years ago when we had our PUP. I still see them today for sale, and at least 20% of campers have the same when we camp. I dropped burning coals on a corner and burned a small spot...it's still fine. It will probably last until there are only roaches and twinkies. No reason yet to replace it.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I drug one of those camping carpets around for years and never took the plastic off. Missus finally got sick of not using it and put it in our screen porch where we promptly got BBQ splatter all over it. I also have quite a few fancy chairs in those keeping-bags that we never use. Several are on our porch. If I am going to sit near my camper, I need to be in my recliner watching the TV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Also glad you are back. And yes, sorry to hear about your mother. My mother died of dementia, but lived to be 95 years old. So, I truly identify with what you are experiencing now. It does not get easier, and it will drain every inch of your fiber from you the farther it goes. So, patients is a must. All you can do is constantly remember who they "were", not what they are now. And keep reminding yourself, this cranky, crotchety, irritable person I do not like any more, is still my mother.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #12
Weldon

Again, much appreciated everyone. My great grandmother and my grandmother both had Alzheimers. You would think I wouldn't be surprised when mom was diagnosed but honestly, it rocked me. I thought we had 20 more years before that could happen. I appreciate the support on here. No doubt...it sucks seeing the person who raised you and stood by 24-7 reduced to this and knowing it will get much much worse before she's called home. Keeping faith has never been so hard. Mom was a church secretary. She never cursed in my presence. She helped everyone before thinking of herself. She was the epidemy of "southern christian lady." Really hard not to ask "why" or "how?"
Old 04-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
Kamp Nutz

Just looking at some of the posts on different issues when I read of your Moms condition. I lost my husband back in November. I can really relate I feel really bad for your Dad. Jesus and family was what kept me going. I pray for the peace of God to keep you all.
Kamp Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote