Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 05:38 AM   #1
Balvar24

Anyone Have an Inflatable Kayak?

I'd like to try one out, and keep one with the camper gear, but not sure what brand would be decent.

Like anything else, you can spend $100 or $2000. I figure it will spend most of the time rolled up in the truck, so I don't want to break the bank. I'm not planning to shoot the rapids. Mostly fishing.

Looking at the Intek Excursion Pro (on the cheaper end of the spectrum). I'm 6'6", so I need a big boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-68309EP...ps%2C83&sr=8-3

Anyone keep an inflatable with them when camping?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
Midwesterner

We don’t have an inflatable but I’ll throw out another option to consider, foldable plastic kayaks. We recently purchased 2 Tuktec foldable kayaks after considering multiple other options. I chose them because they seemed to offer good durability at a price point that was reasonable. The other consideration was they fold down to a fairly compact package and should be pretty pest proof. They have an adjustable footrest so they can be used by people of different heights.

https://foldupkayaks.com/

For full disclosure, we haven’t had a chance to try them out yet since our waterways are still frozen over. I’ve spent a lot of time in a molded kayak so I’m anxious to see how they compare. I just wanted to offer another option, not saying it’s the best one for your situation. Best of luck with your search.
2022 Ram 2500 6.7 3:73
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:28 AM   #3
curtiscapk

I have a Sevylor it's ok but not sure on serious fishing. We actually use ours in the gulf on vacation. We've had 2 in it over 250# total and it was fine. Haven't had it camping but we normally have the pontoon.

Your posted model looks much sturdier!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_123655 (Medium).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	38412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_123659 (Medium).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	38413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_123703 (Medium).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	38414  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #4
jasin1

I have a west marine branded version of a advanced elements two person kayak…it’s really nice ..folds up into a flat bag that I store in my front pass thru

But I really like these inflatable paddle boards…and you can sit on them if you don’t feel like standing..they come with everything you need and are really super sturdy..feels like a solid board..I bought two of these
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8A15A608-AC2E-4CD2-9A5C-18DCB69870A7.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	38415  
Old 02-18-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
jsb5717

I have an inflatable 2 man zodiac-style boat. It's a bit of a pain to set up and take down but it does give me the opportunity to get out on the water and go fishing. I don't always carry it but I do when I will be by the water for several days so it's worth setting up. I also have a 15 hp motor to go with it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I have an inflatable 2 man zodiac-style boat. It's a bit of a pain to set up and take down but it does give me the opportunity to get out on the water and go fishing. I don't always carry it but I do when I will be by the water for several days so it's worth setting up. I also have a 15 hp motor to go with it.
Well thank you!!! That is a GREAT idea…I have a west marine dinghy for my boat with a 4hp Yamaha outboard…it’s not a speed demon but when we go to the keys that will be perfect to scoot around on..will roll up in my truck..don’t know why I never thought of it before…at least get us over to one of the sandbars
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E3CE43B-A4CF-4C69-A0F1-C5D17542685A.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	38416  
Old 02-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
RVGator

I have a BOTE Zeppelin which is on the pricier side but very durable. Made out of same material as stand up paddle boards. The Zeppelin comes in 2 sizes and you sit higher out of the water which makes fishing easier. It’s modular and we have really enjoyed it.

https://www.boteboard.com/collections/inflatable-kayaks
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
I have a BOTE Zeppelin which is on the pricier side but very durable. Made out of same material as stand up paddle boards. The Zeppelin comes in 2 sizes and you sit higher out of the water which makes fishing easier. It’s modular and we have really enjoyed it.

https://www.boteboard.com/collections/inflatable-kayaks
Bote is a nice company..we have a couple of fiberglass SUP’s one is a Bote traveler..that thing is like a speedboat cutting thru the water…we leave them at the house because they are so big.

I was originally going to get bote inflatable sups but because of traveling with them and worrying about theft or securing them I opted for the Amazon ones..a few of my neighbors with summer homes have them and they are cheap enough that you don’t have to worry about them too much…I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good they are
Old 02-18-2022, 08:15 AM   #9
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
We don’t have an inflatable but I’ll throw out another option to consider, foldable plastic kayaks. We recently purchased 2 Tuktec foldable kayaks after considering multiple other options. I chose them because they seemed to offer good durability at a price point that was reasonable. The other consideration was they fold down to a fairly compact package and should be pretty pest proof. They have an adjustable footrest so they can be used by people of different heights.

https://foldupkayaks.com/

For full disclosure, we haven’t had a chance to try them out yet since our waterways are still frozen over. I’ve spent a lot of time in a molded kayak so I’m anxious to see how they compare. I just wanted to offer another option, not saying it’s the best one for your situation. Best of luck with your search.

Just showed these to the wife and she is all in lol. We have been wanting kayaks, but also wanting an easy way to stow them.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #10
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Bote is a nice company..we have a couple of fiberglass SUP’s one is a Bote traveler..that thing is like a speedboat cutting thru the water…we leave them at the house because they are so big.

I was originally going to get bote inflatable sups but because of traveling with them and worrying about theft or securing them I opted for the Amazon ones..a few of my neighbors with summer homes have them and they are cheap enough that you don’t have to worry about them too much…I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good they are
We also have a SUP from Amazon. I believe it is the ROC SUP. Have had it for years and works well. I think its ~$350 for the whole package. I wish they made kayaks.
20k Reese Goosebox
Old 02-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #11
jim1

Hi Balvar24, you might want to check out Sea Eagle Kayaks. the have a great assortment of inflatables. We have a Fast track 485 and can use it with 1-3 people. It's very stable and great for lakes, it's not white water rated. They also make some really cool fishing kayaks. Our is easy and fast to inflate or pack up when done. We really enjoy ours. Good luck! SeaEagle.com is the website
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
vampress_me

Hubby has a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak that he has had for about 10 years or so, I think. It has been used down in the rivers and the Gulf (near shore!) south of Tallahassee, FL when he was working down there and wanted to go fishing, and been used in the lakes up here in MN when we would want to go out, or if the kids wanted a ride. His is a 2 person, but many times he used it alone with no problems. To me, it works as good as any other kayak, but I love that it can be deflated and put away in a bag without taking up 12’-14’ of room somewhere.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #13
jasin1

I will say I love the water and feel most comfortable there…any depth ..middle of the ocean ….doesn’t matter..BUT I don’t know if I’d take a inflatable kayak around the little streams and rivers in Florida or Georgia…I’d imagine a alligator could make small work of the kayak..then what? You be packaged up like a giant seafood wrap…I prefer fiberglass for predators
Old 02-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #14
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I will say I love the water and feel most comfortable there…any depth ..middle of the ocean ….doesn’t matter..BUT I don’t know if I’d take a inflatable kayak around the little streams and rivers in Florida or Georgia…I’d imagine a alligator could make small work of the kayak..then what? You be packaged up like a giant seafood wrap…I prefer fiberglass for predators
To go along with that I know of at least 1 natural spring state park here in Florida, Juniper Springs State Park, that does not allow inflatable kayaks or other inflatables to be used in the park. Not sure if that is due to gators or risk of puncture.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #15
jim1

Jeez jasin1 now I can't go in the warm water down there! Oh boy more nightmares. Things I can do without grizzly bears, sharks and now gators, oh and politicians they might be the worst!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Jeez jasin1 now I can't go in the warm water down there! Oh boy more nightmares. Things I can do without grizzly bears, sharks and now gators, oh and politicians they might be the worst!
…yeah sorry about that
Old 02-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You forgot snakes! Water moccasins are freightning. Oops my bad. I see you covered snakes under "politicians".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Come on down Jim the gators are harmless...or so I've been told.

I was out at a local spring a few years back. Has a little beach, tall diving platform etc. where locals and visitors come and hang out. I was out there one day walking out on a boat dock just looking around. Lots of water plants/vegetation along the edges and did a double take - a very large gator was lying there in the water among the plants next to the edge of the dock. People (including kids) were on the beach maybe 25' away playing and having fun - I was about to have an attack of some kind. A ranger/boat driver was standing over by a building so I decided to warn him vs telling the folks on the beach. I told him, we walked over and looked at it and he told me not to worry; they're very friendly and like to interact with people! I looked at him, looked at that 12 footer and figured he was crazy. Started to walk off and he said "oh, there's a wire mesh fence underwater to keep them out". Sheesh. For me, fence or not, I'm keeping my toes in my boots on dry ground.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Come on down Jim the gators are harmless...or so I've been told.

I was out at a local spring a few years back. Has a little beach, tall diving platform etc. where locals and visitors come and hang out. I was out there one day walking out on a boat dock just looking around. Lots of water plants/vegetation along the edges and did a double take - a very large gator was lying there in the water among the plants next to the edge of the dock. People (including kids) were on the beach maybe 25' away playing and having fun - I was about to have an attack of some kind. A ranger/boat driver was standing over by a building so I decided to warn him vs telling the folks on the beach. I told him, we walked over and looked at it and he told me not to worry; they're very friendly and like to interact with people! I looked at him, looked at that 12 footer and figured he was crazy. Started to walk off and he said "oh, there's a wire mesh fence underwater to keep them out". Sheesh. For me, fence or not, I'm keeping my toes in my boots on dry ground.

Lol rainbow springs state park the worker there told us that a couple of people were on the small swimming dock at the head of the spring..it’s kinda roped off with floats but no fence..one person jumped in and swam away ..the other lady looked down and didn’t want to jump on this “log”….the log moved …the other people got out on the other side …the ranger said they check usually to make sure there are no gators up that far but occasionally they get there.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #20
Balvar24

Not looking to use this in gator infested waters.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote