Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
dljs1941

Keystone Propane Recall - My Experience

Like many of you, I received a notice from Keystone advising that the Winn-Tec 6020 propane regulator provided on my 2020 Bullet 273BHS is subject to a recall. I'm sharing this experience to advise others who decide to replace the regulator themselves, what they might expect from Keystone. Since my dealer is 100+ miles away, I decided not to wait for them to obtain replacement regulators, decide to call me, and schedule a maintenance visit. I found an authorized replacement from a list of Keystone approved regulators and ordered one from Amazon. Turns out I needed to also order replacement pigtails since the connection to the regulator used a 1/4" female inverted flare compared to the 1/4 female NPT connection on the Winn-Tec. Tip - be sure to understand what pigtail connections your replacement regulator requires if doing it yourself. Now comes the tricky part - getting reimbursed from Keystone. Here's my timeline of contacts:

11/30/21 - contacted Keystone customer service. After waiting 15+ minutes agent requested that I send a picture of the old and new regulator along with the invoice for the replacement. I also included a copy of the recall notice. Requested receipt confirmation that info was received...never happened.

12/1/21 - Received email response requesting that I provide last 8 digits of VIN.
Responded with VIN information and advised that full VIN of RV was on the recall notice provided 11/30/21. Requested receipt confirmation...none received.

Attempted a few calls into Keystone customer service but decided not to wait in queue.

12/31/21 - Emailed Keystone asking for an update...crickets

1/4/22 - Received email apologizing for response delay. Asked that I resend regulator pictures (old and new) along with purchase receipt. Claimed they never received original from 11/30/21.
Responded with requested information and asked for confirmation of receipt...crickets.

1/18/22 - Call Keystone customer service. Waited about 5-10 minutes in queue and reached an agent. When I explained my saga, the agent looked up my claim only to find that the pictures and receipt had not been posted. Asked that I forward them again and that she would personally deal with this. She explained that since I was replacing the regulator myself, this claim for reimbursement goes thru customer service whereas the dealers use a different chain within Keystone. The customer service agents are in a call center and are only given 1-2 minutes between calls to review emails. She claims they might get 50+ emails per day and can easily fall behind. However, I felt that by making this replacement myself I was certainly saving Keystone $$ since the dealer would also be adding shop labor to the claim and with the size of this recall, Keystone should be planning a little better assuming that many RV owner DIY. I suggested she share the recorded conversation of this call with her superiors, so they can hear first hand what my experience has been.
However I must add that - true to her word, the agent handled my re-submission and by the end of the day had confirmed that Keystone would be reimbursing me for the cost of the regulator.

I share this not in frustration, but to advise others of what they might expect.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljs1941 View Post
Like many of you, I received a notice from Keystone advising that the Winn-Tec 6020 propane regulator provided on my 2020 Bullet 273BHS is subject to a recall. I'm sharing this experience to advise others who decide to replace the regulator themselves, what they might expect from Keystone. Since my dealer is 100+ miles away, I decided not to wait for them to obtain replacement regulators, decide to call me, and schedule a maintenance visit. I found an authorized replacement from a list of Keystone approved regulators and ordered one from Amazon. Turns out I needed to also order replacement pigtails since the connection to the regulator used a 1/4" female inverted flare compared to the 1/4 female NPT connection on the Winn-Tec. Tip - be sure to understand what pigtail connections your replacement regulator requires if doing it yourself. Now comes the tricky part - getting reimbursed from Keystone. Here's my timeline of contacts:

11/30/21 - contacted Keystone customer service. After waiting 15+ minutes agent requested that I send a picture of the old and new regulator along with the invoice for the replacement. I also included a copy of the recall notice. Requested receipt confirmation that info was received...never happened.

12/1/21 - Received email response requesting that I provide last 8 digits of VIN.
Responded with VIN information and advised that full VIN of RV was on the recall notice provided 11/30/21. Requested receipt confirmation...none received.

Attempted a few calls into Keystone customer service but decided not to wait in queue.

12/31/21 - Emailed Keystone asking for an update...crickets

1/4/22 - Received email apologizing for response delay. Asked that I resend regulator pictures (old and new) along with purchase receipt. Claimed they never received original from 11/30/21.
Responded with requested information and asked for confirmation of receipt...crickets.

1/18/22 - Call Keystone customer service. Waited about 5-10 minutes in queue and reached an agent. When I explained my saga, the agent looked up my claim only to find that the pictures and receipt had not been posted. Asked that I forward them again and that she would personally deal with this. She explained that since I was replacing the regulator myself, this claim for reimbursement goes thru customer service whereas the dealers use a different chain within Keystone. The customer service agents are in a call center and are only given 1-2 minutes between calls to review emails. She claims they might get 50+ emails per day and can easily fall behind. However, I felt that by making this replacement myself I was certainly saving Keystone $$ since the dealer would also be adding shop labor to the claim and with the size of this recall, Keystone should be planning a little better assuming that many RV owner DIY. I suggested she share the recorded conversation of this call with her superiors, so they can hear first hand what my experience has been.
However I must add that - true to her word, the agent handled my re-submission and by the end of the day had confirmed that Keystone would be reimbursing me for the cost of the regulator.

I share this not in frustration, but to advise others of what they might expect.
Sorry to hear of the difficulties. We had a very different experience. Also received the recall notice. As posted previously, PA has mandatory safety inspections on TT's, RV's, as well as cars, trucks, etc. I asked the dealer if while the TT was in for inspection could they do the recall, reply was yes and it was done. A very pleasant surprise.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Sorry to hear of your experience! Certainly frustrating, but ours was pretty easy.. I read about the recall, and bought a replacement regulator off Ebay complete with new pigtails for $74.99 before actually getting my notice in the mail.

I changed it over myself. Sent a bill to Keystone with photos of the old regulator, paid invoice for the new regulator, picture of the new regulator installed, a bill for my labor and a copy of my W9. They approved my reimbursement at $199.99 and I received my check 10 days or so later.

All together a very simple and easy process and the reps at Keystone were a pleasure to work with. I initially contacted them 11/18/21, was all approved by 11/29 and had my check before 12/10.

Maybe they are flooded with requests now, but my experience was a good one.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
markcee

Same somewhat painless process for me....guess it depends on the CS rep you deal with.

I was also told I needed to provide a pic of the old and new regulators....I explained that I replaced the regulator/pigtail assembly myself while on a trip, a couple of months before the recall notice was even sent and simply trashed the failed regulator at that time. Although I did have to point this out on two separate conversations, the claim was ultimately processed and I received my check this week after about 5 weeks start to finish. I only provided a copy of my new assembly receipt and a pic of the new assembly installed.

NH Bulldog...really shrewd of you to charge them for your labor...great thinking! Never crossed my mind that they would reimburse for that.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
Balvar24

I chatted online with them this morning and they're going to send me a replacement regulator. I have to email a picture of my current regulator.

I haven't received the best of service from my local guy, so I'm going to do this myself.

This is only the second issue I've dealt with the factory on. The first was a replacement jack switch (mine broke while out) and so far, they've been excellent to deal with.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
Balvar24

New regulator showing up today on UPS. Fingers crossed that it's correct and in good order.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
somekindaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I chatted online with them this morning and they're going to send me a replacement regulator. I have to email a picture of my current regulator.

I haven't received the best of service from my local guy, so I'm going to do this myself.

This is only the second issue I've dealt with the factory on. The first was a replacement jack switch (mine broke while out) and so far, they've been excellent to deal with.
Hi....I was very interested in this as well, because I would like to complete the work rather than have to arrange a service visit to my RV dealership.
I am sure this is a very straight forward replacement (and I am ok with tools etc), but would you mind advising of anything unusual that you may find regarding he actual replacement work? That would be very helpful!
Also, did you simply contact them on their website & request the replacement valve? Did you need to provide them with any additional details? Thanks!
somekindaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #8
Balvar24

They sent me a Fairveiw branded regulator with new pigtails installed.

Regulator looks to be adjustable, so I'll check the outlet pressure when I'm done with a manometer.

Even included some teflon tape.

Installation should be similar to any natural gas / LP regulator.

I'm satisfied Keystone has done everything they should have to make the situation right in my case.

I contacted them thru the website. On my past dealing with them, I called. Both times, I either divulged my professional credentials or made a statement of record that I felt confident I could do the repair myself to relieve them of any liabilities related to improper installation. Each time, they needed a VIN for their records.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #9
somekindaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
They sent me a Fairveiw branded regulator with new pigtails installed.

Regulator looks to be adjustable, so I'll check the outlet pressure when I'm done with a manometer.

Even included some teflon tape.

Installation should be similar to any natural gas / LP regulator.

I'm satisfied Keystone has done everything they should have to make the situation right in my case.

I contacted them thru the website. On my past dealing with them, I called. Both times, I either divulged my professional credentials or made a statement of record that I felt confident I could do the repair myself to relieve them of any liabilities related to improper installation. Each time, they needed a VIN for their records.
Thanks so much for the reply. I will be contacting them regarding the regulator in a month or so, as the trailer is currently in storage until the spring. Please let me know if you run into any difficulties while doing the installation. Thanks again!
somekindaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, propane, recall