Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
jasin1

I95 shutdown

Seems crazy to me that in this day and age that a major interstate at or vey near to our nations capitol could be shutdown over fairly small snow event.

I guess with worker shortages and covid call outs that there isn’t the manpower to get things done?

What happens to the electric vehicles that get stuck? How long can you run a heater in a ev before the battery shuts down? Electric heaters are big power drains.

Crazy world. 19 hour shutdown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F4BA1D4-6299-4E4A-9844-2156B4D2ACE1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	37743  
Old 01-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't call up to a foot of icy, snow following a freezing rain "a little bit of snow". That storm was south of us and a lot more severe down south. I drove down to Franklin Square yesterday for an 8 a.m. appointment with a retina eye surgeon. The rroads were only wet when I drove there.

The eceptionist said the doctor was comming from the south and was "running late". At 9 am she said he called and said he didn’t know how long he'd be so I said I'd reschedule. I got in my truck around 9:15 and there was about 2" of very wet snow covering the road. I thought it would be better once I got to US 40 but by then it was worse. I could see 2 snow plows/salt trucks about a mile & half ahead of me with a line of vehichles behind and I was driving in fresh snow and slush about an inch deep. Yes they were ploughing and salting when I caught up to them. By about 10 am it was mostly finished here and we had between 4 and 5 inches.

That was my experience yesterday and when I saw the accumulations It was a narrow band around I 95 of high accumulation. Fredericksburg, VA got 14", Dale City, VA 12"+, etc. That all fell as very wet, freezing snow in about a 8 to10 hr period and they didn't " pre-treat" because it was raining just before the cold air hit. I'm not defending the snow removal folks but I think the storm was a more significany event than "the norm".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
jasin1

Well maybe I was downplaying it a bit..just seems a bit surreal that it could shut everything down so easily.. seems like they could drag half the vehicles over to the shoulder ( what can’t move on it’s own) and national guard and highway Dept run plows right up 95 to get one lane clear…then come back and deal with the stranded vehicles on the shoulder or median…feel like after hour 4 this would have been the plan

But what do I know
Old 01-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Well maybe I was downplaying it a bit..just seems a bit surreal that it could shut everything down so easily.. seems like they could drag half the vehicles over to the shoulder ( what can’t move on it’s own) and national guard and highway Dept run plows right up 95 to get one lane clear…then come back and deal with the stranded vehicles on the shoulder or median…feel like after hour 4 this would have been the plan

But what do I know
The National Guard is busy doing Covid testing and running hospitals. Check out WBAL they had a photographer stuck on 97 heading to Annapolis where a bus was stuck and the passengers were trying to push it out while 3 or 4 cars were all sideways to the left of it. I think the Inter County Connector above 495 was impassible as well. I think BWI - Thurougood airport report about 8".

Usually it only takes a "dusting" to cause panic and 4" to paralize the DC metro area. Check out the snow totals https://www.weather.gov/lwx/pnsmap?type=snow

Edit: Noon news just talked about perhaps a repeate performance this Thursday night/Friday morning. Yippee!
Old 01-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
rhagfo

Many people who don’t experience the warm sloppy snow that many areas experience, just don’t understand the traction issues it has. This is the snow that compacts to wet ice under a rolling tire it becomes a wet slippery mess in a hurry.
I would rather drive thru 12” of dry powder than 2” of wet sloppy stuff!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I lived in the Peoples Republic of Maryland for a few years and understand that they are not going to have the fleet of snow removal trucks and capabilities of some of the cities farther to the north since it seldom hits as often or as hard as the folks living in the frozen tundra. The DC area is under an unusual cold snap and roads will be dangerous as it thaws during the day and the roads are wet then freezes at night. All you folks living towards the eastern seaboard and along the I95 corridor up there, be safe.

Brew some coffee and sit down and complain about GLOBAL WARMING here on the forum!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

Brew some coffee and sit down and complain about GLOBAL WARMING here on the forum!
I'm glad we took last week and this week off! Hoping all this is gone by next Tuesday! By the way, anybody seen Al Gore lately?!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Many people who don’t experience the warm sloppy snow that many areas experience, just don’t understand the traction issues it has. This is the snow that compacts to wet ice under a rolling tire it becomes a wet slippery mess in a hurry.
I would rather drive thru 12” of dry powder than 2” of wet sloppy stuff!
I'm south of Richmond and it didnt stick to the roads here fortunately. But there were dropping temps all day so it just got worse as the day progressed. It looks like the slop turned to compacted ice .
https://wtop.com/traffic/2022/01/the...on-some-roads/

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I lived in the Peoples Republic of Maryland for a few years and understand that they are not going to have the fleet of snow removal trucks and capabilities of some of the cities farther to the north since it seldom hits as often or as hard as the folks living in the frozen tundra. The DC area is under an unusual cold snap and roads will be dangerous as it thaws during the day and the roads are wet then freezes at night. All you folks living towards the eastern seaboard and along the I95 corridor up there, be safe.

The highlighted above kind of explains the situations we are seeing "up there" IMO. There is a huge difference in preparedness between locations that see lots of snow/ice and those that seldom see it. Our house in the mountains sits at 9000ft. and it was not uncommon to get 150-180" of snow. It could snow 12-15" overnite and by the time I got shoveled out and got out of the valley to the highway (4 miles out from the tiny village on a US scenic route) the highway crew had already gone through with a plow. If they knew a storm was coming the roads were pretreated, plows and salt trucks lined up along with huge piles of salt on the roadside - always ready throughout the winter running night and/or day. Then there's home in TX -

We can get snow where we live in TX but get more "black ice" or the slush that then freezes and becomes treacherous. The drivers nor the highway dept. is prepared for those events - even if they know in advance. When it hits it's every man for himself....and the drivers have no clue. I've driven in lots of snow, ice and black ice and never had an issue (except on a trip when the snow kept getting funneled into the engine compartment of my company car, all the way to the hood, and froze my accelerator linkage...now THAT was a hoot). Lots of others just have no idea. After a snow/freeze event you can drive the 60 miles to Lubbock TX along U.S. 87 (or any other of the major highways) and see folks rolled, stuck, crashed and most any other thing; sometimes multiple situations in a mile. "The" salt truck might get out to take care of the several hundreds of miles of highways he's responsible for several hours after the snow/sleet has stopped. A matter of preparedness and being familiar with what those kinds of storms can bring.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Been trying to speed up global warming for decades. A 30lb jug of R12 and let'er rip! Then it got so expensive before it was banned. Just kidding.

You haven't experienced snow until you shovel a wet freezing slurpee that breaks your back and clogges up the best of snow blowers. Weather wise it's a weired area that's difficult to predict if you haven't lived here for many years. I've seen winters with no snow at all and years where we've had storm after storm blow up from the south ( Nor' Easters) that dump 18" to 24"+ each time. Typically, within a week it warms up and it all melts away. In my later years I've learned to be patient rather then did the ice out of my snow blower chute every 5 min.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #11
jasin1

I understand and agree with what everyone is saying but it just feels like we are going backwards sometimes..

I feel like we had real leaders in the past that weren’t afraid to make a decision…any decision…send in the guard …send in the helicopters …send in the clowns …anything but just watching and waiting

When there are power outages in another state the local utility would get a bunch of volunteers and fuel up the trucks and head south or north or wherever …within hours to help out another electric company.

It just seems like we just sit back and try and wait things out now…turn on the news the last couple of years and watch a bunch of “leaders” doing absolutely nothing while chaos and anarchy is going on…everyone seems to be worried more about reelection then getting things done.

I watch a lot of documentaries and the guys that built the Hoover dam, the railroads, Panama Canal…the space program…man those guys didn’t let anything get in their way

….anyhoo…back to rv’s
Old 01-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I'm glad we took last week and this week off! Hoping all this is gone by next Tuesday! By the way, anybody seen Al Gore lately?!
Dunno about the climate czar as he is likely flitting around the world in his personal jet or better a gubbermint jet burning oodles of jet fuel. Read where our beloved President Biden was grounded as AF1 can't take off from Dover AFB because of the weather/snow. Strange that they haven't come up with a contingency for getting our beloved leader out of town with AOC down in Miami where it is nice and warm.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I understand and agree with what everyone is saying but it just feels like we are going backwards sometimes..

I feel like we had real leaders in the past that weren’t afraid to make a decision…any decision…send in the guard …send in the helicopters …send in the clowns …anything but just watching and waiting

When there are power outages in another state the local utility would get a bunch of volunteers and fuel up the trucks and head south or north or wherever …within hours to help out another electric company.

It just seems like we just sit back and try and wait things out now…turn on the news the last couple of years and watch a bunch of “leaders” doing absolutely nothing while chaos and anarchy is going on…everyone seems to be worried more about reelection then getting things done.

I watch a lot of documentaries and the guys that built the Hoover dam, the railroads, Panama Canal…the space program…man those guys didn’t let anything get in their way

….anyhoo…back to rv’s
This not a political statement on my part as I think all the politicians suck. The recent snow event I think was mis-read by the weather folks. Remember back in the day when real weather forcasters looked at a very limited amount of data and relied on their power of deduction AND EXPERIENCE to forcast? Now we have them relying on a dozen or more computer models to tell them what to forcast. I think Aunt Edna's predictions based on how much her bunions are hurting is more accurate.

Then add to that dilema the desire for everyone expecting the feds to come to the rescue via Brink's trucks full of cash and we have a reactionary society vs a self reliant society. I learned so much from my father. He grew up on a farm during the great depression. He could make most anything with basic hand tools to fix most anything. In another time he could have been an engineer. He instilled a work ethic that I have never forgotten. I loved the snow until one day he introduced me to the snow shovel. When I said I could go make some money shoveling snow he said not until I shoveled out the 3 elderly neighbors houses and was forbidden to accept a dime from them.

I haven't seen a kid willing to shovel snow for any amount of money for 25 years. They don’t even come outside for the most point. So while inexperience over confident drivers go speeding thru the snow and crashing you can bet their first call was to their attorney then going on social media and blast the local government for the road conitions. I 95 in the area carries an ungodly amount of traffic dailiy. So it ends up a disaster. Last I heard there were over 1,000 accidents yesterday on the Virgina side. Can't help but wonder how many of those could have been avoided with a little common sense. It's tragic that common sense isn't a school curriculum.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's tragic that common sense isn't a school curriculum.

Not only is common sense not in a school curriculum it is frowned upon by school leaders (along with motivation, logic and a host of other "good" traits) but actually discouraged as it would then make the students question what they were being "taught" (indoctrinated) and the rails would come off.

Add to the above our situations where bad guys "aren't really bad" and no one should ever have to go to jail. Now we have people with multiple felonies released out with no bond (read of one today with 67 priors including murder who just murdered again) because we can't hurt someone's feelings I guess. This has nothing to do with politics, it is societal. We as a society have to "pull our heads out" and see what the heck is going on - including driving in the snow.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #15
Lindyn

I lived in Alexander Va, part of the 70's, 80's until 1993, I worked at the White House. It was the same them, when it snowed people would just pull over and leave their vehicle's, in a short time, everything comes to a stand still. Emergency vehicles can't respond, wreckers can't get there. It never changes, its always like it is today. Sadly.

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #16
Skillet173

Here in CNY the roads are aggressively taken care of and people know how to drive in snow, or stay home. It’s definitely not the time of year one wants to operate a pristine rust free vehicle though! But even so, NY politically sucks so there’s that….

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #17
notanlines

If you think about how we cuss and discuss our younger generations, how do you think your fathers/grandfathers talked about generation? That 14 year old won't shovel the walk for $10.00 because his FATHER/MOTHER can't gather enough gumption to MAKE that child shovel the walk.
When my son was ten we were at my offices and I told him I'd give him a dollar to vacuum the offices while I finished up my work. He said "I'll do it for two dollars or no deal." Guess who vacuumed for the experience only, and NO money. Yes, he is a fine young man whose oldest daughter is on an academic scholarship at Mississippi State University.
I believe we are going to reap what we sow.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #18
maineman

I see nobody mentioned the big trucks that are in (caused) all or most multiple vehicle crashes
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #19
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineman View Post
I see nobody mentioned the big trucks that are in (caused) all or most multiple vehicle crashes
Okay, I'll bite. What's your point about the "the big trucks that are in (caused) all or most multiple vehicle crashes."

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineman View Post
I drove for many years and my son is a driver now and believe me most of the accidents are caused by four wheelers filling the space in front of a semi or cutting them off.This is one reason most of the new tractors today have cameras inside and out along with accident avoidance, lane departure and any sudden braking recorded and sent back to companies. Keeps track of drivers and gives proof in court of liability. We all should show some respect for the men and women that keep us supplied with ALL of our needs.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote