Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
SouthTXRVer

Hard to reach dump valve handles

Hooking up the stinky slinky to my "new to me" 2011 Bullet Premier 27RBPR is manageable, but the handles for the blade valves are quite a ways up under my trailer(further back and either side of the end of the dump pipe). I pretty much have to get on my hands and knees to get low enough to reach the handles. So, you can imagine my dilemma. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO GET ON MY HANDS AND KNEES within a mile of the dump station. LOL. So, I'm trying to figure out some kind of solution to this problem. I'm worried that longer handles won't be "sturdy" enough and I'm going to wind up breaking off something while pushing or pulling handles. Has anyone run into this? Anyone else have a Bullet with the same problem? Just seems like a poor design to me and it really didn't occur to me until our maiden trip this weekend.

Sonny
SouthTXRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
Javi

Cable valves are probably going to be your best bet... Where to put the handles and how to run the cable is the next issue. I'll send you my phone # in a pm and you can call any evening before 9pm
Old 02-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Pull handle placement is an issue on a lot of trailers; one that is a no go on my list for buying a trailer anymore. Javi can give you ideas. I have used a "refashioned" plumbing T of some sort (can't recall what they are called) so I could reach under, use the hooks to get the handle on each side of the rod and pull. I'll try to see if I can either find or remember what it was called. Bought it in the plumbing (maybe the lawn irrigation) section at Home Depot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
rhagfo

They make extension rods for the dump valves. I add them to my valves when I enclosed the belly.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ra/TX9HPB.html
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
Canonman

I only have this problem if the slide is out but I fully understand not wanting to crawl around at the dump station.
I use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Richards-Home...KG923NHCWQF7VH
Works great to pull the handle and push it back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61oSW-BzzDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	31957  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
bobz89013

Same issue

Have been thinking about just extending it with a piece of threaded rod and coupler. then put the handle on the end just don't forget the loctite.
bobz89013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
Ibdagriz

There are electric replacements for the manual valves, but they are not cheap. About $160 or so each. No clue on quality though.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
There are electric replacements for the manual valves, but they are not cheap. About $160 or so each. No clue on quality though.

Griz
Now there's a "posh" upgrade. Yes a little pricey but would be nice to have.
The only review I found on a CW site mentioned that the valve does not close all the way with about a 1/8 seal gap showing in the product picture. I'm no expert but wouldn't you want to put that "gap" on the top of the valves operation position? Just an observation.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Now there's a "posh" upgrade. Yes a little pricey but would be nice to have.
The only review I found on a CW site mentioned that the valve does not close all the way with about a 1/8 seal gap showing in the product picture. I'm no expert but wouldn't you want to put that "gap" on the top of the valves operation position? Just an observation.
RMc
If it doesn't close all the way, I wouldn't call it a valve. Restriction plate maybe? LOL..

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Poppy

Hard to reach dump handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
They make extension rods for the dump valves. I add them to my valves when I enclosed the belly.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ra/TX9HPB.html
On my previous trailer, it was missing a handle. The dealer replaced the handle at no charge to me, but I had to put it on. That’s when I found out it was not an easy reach. Went to the local big box hardware store a bought a 6” piece of all-thread a long nut, and some lock-tire that would hold it all together. I had the trailer for almost 10 years without any problems.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #11
SouthTXRVer

I went ahead and ordered this. I'll just have to figure out some way to support it. Don't want one of these breaking off. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_extension.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	31960  
SouthTXRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

I am in the same situation. When I get to a campground, I open my dump valves which require reaching up under the camper (black and main gray tank) and the galley tank which I open before I put my slide out as it is up behind the rear wheel on driver's side of the camper. I then use my Valterra Twist on Waste valve to dump when needed; our tanks are pretty small so usually do this every couple days and all three tanks dump at once. Also keeps from having dribbles when I put on the sewer hose. The handle for this valve is easily accessible and just bend over and dump.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...BoC7-QQAvD_BwE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTXRVer View Post
I went ahead and ordered this. I'll just have to figure out some way to support it. Don't want one of these breaking off. LOL.
Mine are supported at the frame by the coreplast, maybe a couple eye straps.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
RangerFred

Hard to reach dump valve handles--Same issue

SouthTXRVer,
We have a 2011 Bullet Premiere (28RLPR) as well. We love the trailer and find the comfort, layout, quality and tow-ability to be to our liking, but do wish that opening the dump valves was easier.

Please post your solution once you have licked (figuratively speaking) the problem.

Thanks in advance.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #15
Greg58

My in-laws are in their eighties and had the same problem with their TT, theirs has two dump outlets. My father in-law had a local rv center repumb the system so the valves are out closer to the side and the handle pulls forward making it much easier to operate.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
Greg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTXRVer View Post
That's The extensions I have on ours, apply a small amount of removable loctite to the threads of the valve when you install the handle, I found one of mine loose after the first trip. Also my tee handle has a loop that I hook a small bungee cord to and then to the under carriage to make sure the valve doesn't vibrate open, I had that happen once already.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #17
Preyou

It sounds if all of the valves have a direct pull to open. To open mine, the grey water for the kitchen, you have to pull away from you. This is really tough when I am laying down to do it. I have resolved by leaving the valve open and adding a valve at the end of the dump piping, where I connect the hose. I just connect the hose then open the added valve. Would like to change but looking for ideas.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #18
gmorse7

I bought one of the cheap garden kneelers to try. Has handles to help get back up. Still have to reach under so maybe I'll add a shepherd's hook
gmorse7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

A 2 or 3 foot broom handle with a hole drilled near the end and a zip tie looped through the hole will "catch the Tee handle" to open and close the dump valve. I use an old "manual awning pull rod" to operate the gray tank valve for our galley tank which is located about 4' under the slide, just inboard from the frame rail. Without one of the above, I'd be crawling under the slide to even get close to the valve handle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #20
Javi

Personally I'd run a cable valve into the basement and install it along side the other two cable valves..