Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
JackinDixie

In-Command DC no zone temp displayed

2021 Cougar 29RKS, In-Command System, heater/furnance worked last night. This AM I can adjust the SET TEMP but the ZONE TEMP reads -F (i.e. no temperature digits displayed in both the front and rear zones... only see -F displayed).

Anyone seen this problem before? Web searches revealed nothing...

Thanks in advance!
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I don't have the In-Command system so this is just a guess, could it be you inadvertently entered the set up mode to change between Fahrenheit (F) or Celsius (C) temperature readout?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
JackinDixie

I'm frustrated enough I will anything at this point. The RV is parked here at home, so after installing a few add-ons I pressed the ON/OFF button and held it until the DC displayed "Powering Off" to be sure all the systems would all be 'OFF'. That powering down the DC completely could have caused the two thermostat sensors in front BR and Living Room to malfunction.

Tried RESETTING the BC in the pass-through storage area, and disconnecting the shore-power and battery OFF. No go...
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I'm sure someone more familiar with the system will chime in.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
JackinDixie

Marshall (and others....). We have HEAT!!!

I dug down a bit further online, rephrased my search query and found a post on the redwoodowners.com/forum that had experienced the same problem with their In-Command system not displaying a temperature thus the heat (or air...) would not come on.

The FIX: Disconnect shore power, and turn the BATTERY DISCONNECT switch to OFF. Wait 10 seconds (I waited 30 seconds this time....), and turn the BATTERY DISCONNECT switch back to ON. Reconnect shore power cable.

This will cause the DC to 'reboot' and WALLAH, we have Zone Temperature Displayed and the furnace powered up right away! (I had tried the battery disconnect switch on/off earlier... guess I didn't wait long enough for the DC to reboot before switching the battery back to ON.)

All is good. Guess the moral of my story is to dig a little deeper online next time. Hope this post will save another Keystone Forum member a lot of aggravation. Also, it never fails that these issues happen to me on the weekend when there is no Tech Support available.

The jury is still out on whether I like the In-Command System or HATE IT! Right now I am leaning toward the later....
Old 12-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Glad you got it going! Now go enjoy.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
ChuckS

OP... what really fixed your problem with your HVAC was removing the 12 volts DC to both air conditioner control boxes located on the roof

No amount of rebooting the DC or BCM will clear an issue with the relays in the control modules on the roof..

By turning battery disconnect off and removing shore power you removed the 12 volts DC that is present AT ALL TIMES on those control modules on the roof..

The DC and BCM communicate your HVAC commands across the CANBUS that runs from BCM up to control boxes on the roof

The furnace is controlled via Zone 1 roof AC control box module

You WILL see this issue again so don’t forget what to do...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to ChuckS's post, there are three sources of 12VDC power in every trailer:

1. Battery
2. Converter (when plugged into shore power)
3. Vehicle (via the 7 pin connector)

Some will also add a "solar panel/solar controller" that could be powered on while all the other three are powered off/disconnected....

If there is 12VDC being provided by any of the above, your "system" will not be "unpowered" and will maintain any "memory circuit conditions". So, to "completley reboot the system" you need to completely remove power from ALL sources.

Since the sources all "come from different directions" there is no "one switch/breaker" that removes everything.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
OP... what really fixed your problem with your HVAC was removing the 12 volts DC to both air conditioner control boxes located on the roof

No amount of rebooting the DC or BCM will clear an issue with the relays in the control modules on the roof..

By turning battery disconnect off and removing shore power you removed the 12 volts DC that is present AT ALL TIMES on those control modules on the roof..

The DC and BCM communicate your HVAC commands across the CANBUS that runs from BCM up to control boxes on the roof

The furnace is controlled via Zone 1 roof AC control box module

You WILL see this issue again so don’t forget what to do...
What Chuck said. I learned this lesson the second day of owning my system.

If you reboot the In-Command without resetting the power to the gateway's that are installed at your air conditioner systems, they most likely will not communicate to the system any longer without cycling power to them.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
JackinDixie

Thanks Fellas! Appreciate the clarification and information.

Just goes to show you CAN teach an old dog (i.e. me) new tricks!

Thanks again to all who responded....

__________________________________________________ ___
Jack in Dixie
2011 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, LB, 4x4 Cummins TD
2021 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS
Old 12-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To add to ChuckS's post, there are three sources of 12VDC power in every trailer:

1. Battery
2. Converter (when plugged into shore power)
3. Vehicle (via the 7 pin connector)

Some will also add a "solar panel/solar controller" that could be powered on while all the other three are powered off/disconnected....

If there is 12VDC being provided by any of the above, your "system" will not be "unpowered" and will maintain any "memory circuit conditions". So, to "completley reboot the system" you need to completely remove power from ALL sources.

Since the sources all "come from different directions" there is no "one switch/breaker" that removes everything.....
Excellent.. I completely spaced vehicle 12 volt power if connected ...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #12
Nuggy

I am in the same boat, but the solution in this thread did not work for me
I disconnected from Shore power, disconnected battery
Waited 30 seconds (or more) then reconnected in reverse order
But I still have no temp reading on the front zone
Rear Zone is working as expected with AC running as we speak
Any help would be appreciated
Nuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #13
JackinDixie

7-PIN connector?

One of the respondents mentioned the 7-Pin connector must also be removed if the RV is still attached to the Tow Vehicle. Did you get that one disconnected (if it was attached)?
Branford, FL
Old 04-20-2021, 03:09 AM   #14
Nuggy

Yes, I made sure all power was disconnected
I'm unsure what to try next
Nuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #15
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggy View Post
Yes, I made sure all power was disconnected
I'm unsure what to try next
Try calling ASA Electronics support. I hear they are great to work with.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #16
JackinDixie

In-Command TECH Support

Brantel beat me to the punch, but I have a number for the 'In-Command System' (ASA Electronics???) folks: 1-800-688-3135.

I also had great customer support from their TECH Support Department!
Branford, FL
Old 05-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #17
Big camper

In command power issue

Hey guys I got to my camper keystone 32dbh went to turn on my ac and realized zone temp was not reading so I shut off the generator and batt shut off restarted everything after a few minutes my zone 2 started reading but not zone 1. So I turned on ac it came on for 40 seconds then shuts off then if you turn it down a degree it comes back on for 40 seconds and shuts off so I left it on for a while and every so often it turns on for 40 sends then shuts off I’m puzzled what would be causing this can I just re wire my furnace and ac to its own thermostat and not go through the in command I’ve heard lots of bad things about the system
Big camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:27 AM   #18
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big camper View Post
Hey guys I got to my camper keystone 32dbh went to turn on my ac and realized zone temp was not reading so I shut off the generator and batt shut off restarted everything after a few minutes my zone 2 started reading but not zone 1. So I turned on ac it came on for 40 seconds then shuts off then if you turn it down a degree it comes back on for 40 seconds and shuts off so I left it on for a while and every so often it turns on for 40 sends then shuts off I’m puzzled what would be causing this can I just re wire my furnace and ac to its own thermostat and not go through the in command I’ve heard lots of bad things about the system
In the beginning In-Command had some serious growing pains but now with the latest firmware it is pretty stable. You might get the occasional glitch but mine has been working flawlessly. The app is a bit cranky sometimes.

I suggest you call ASA Electronics. I hear they have amazing customer support. They can help walk you thru the troubleshooting and if you need it help you get your firmware updated.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #19
DominickP53

I have an 22MLS and it did the same thing last week while camping. It was working then it stopped. My dealer said they are looking into a Control Panel issue. Did you find the source of problem for the “ no zone temp display “ ? Thanks
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #20
DominickP53

Any solution yet? I agree. There should be a backup/work around to the In-Command for HVAC. There is a back for slide out and awning when in command fails, right? So why not HVAC . It is a critical function. Please let me know what you find. I’ll call ASA on Tuesday.
Thanks
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote