Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
trueweb

Onan 5500 Marquis Gold - Error Code 3 - 47

This code is an ignition code, take it to a dealer. Ugh. Here are the symptoms

Sometimes runs smooth, sometimes runs a bit rough

When I arrive to camp (we pretty much always dry camp) I can run the generator for 3 - 6 hours no problem, usually stops because I turn it off. 2nd day, during the day it might run for an hour or 2 then it gives up. Usually hard to restart and once it does it could run from 5 minutes to 1 hour, but it will eventually quit. When the day cools down and evening rolls around it will run longer again, sometimes it doesn't quit and we turn it off and go to bed.

Could temp or fuel cause that error? Could the error be a result of it stalling, but being in a "running" state? It seems to be an ignition error specifically, but maybe an inconsistent idle or fuel stall could cause it. I'm going to try cleaning the carb, but it has oil and I've replaced plugs & fuel/air/oil filter. I've owned it about a year and have always added ethanol treatment when filling.

Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Drew Waller

Onan

ive had similar problems. Some of my other Raptor owners told me a few things to do. Loosen your fill cap. Make sure your getting air up from underneath. Don't park in such a way that your front end is close to the ground, if yours is in the front of the camper. I do think that fill cap is a problem. If you get a vacuum started in the tank that little pump will burn out. If the unit gets too hot it will shut down and won't run right till it gets cooled down. Good luck.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
trueweb

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
rnkburg

Make sure your generator battery is getting charged via something else besides generator. Try putting a battery charger on and let it run while running. Generator alone can't charge battery enough to keep running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 AM   #5
trueweb

Tried the fuel tank trick, no luck there.

I replaced the fuel pump yesterday, ran smooth as silk after that which made me happy, but it still died after 1 hour.

I'm going to go through the carb next then consider replacing the control board. After that it's off to a repair center.

Error codes that say see a technician just tick me off. At least tell me what it is!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #6
Drew Waller

Oman 5500

one more problem I encountered. I let my front end down too low and restricted air flow which heated things up and it shut down and wouldn't restart till it cooled off. One day we parked a four wheeler close to the front between the truck and generator door and it shut down because of heat. So now I get my front end up and open the front and side doors if this happens. Just some things to be aware of, before tearing everything apart. On that gas cap I actually took that close air valve out of it!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
TrailAir Tri-Glide
Old 09-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
dcg9381

When it does shut down and won't restart, pull the fuel line to the carb and "prime" it. See if you get fuel out. I suspect that you're not.. (even with the new pump).
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
Drew Waller

Oman 5500

I pulled the gas line and found no fuel coming through. So that means , no fuel ( tank was full). Or electric fuel pump not pumping. I had that changed like you did. It ran OK a couple of weekends. Then it guit again. I went through the same checks again, but this time I had fuel coming through. Looked up the code flashing at me and found it was HOT. I raised the front end up after cooling off and reset the control. Everything ran great! After three days of running we came back from a ride in the mountains and parked in front of the 5th wheel. In about 30 minutes it shut down😡 The code again said over heating, but it was only 72 degrees out! So we parked the ATVs in back and had no problems the rest of the week😍

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
TrailAir Tri-Glide
Old 09-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
dcg9381

I dunno what it is about the 5500 Marquis (or related) series, but I've found that they're prone to vapor lock. This was a major problem for Thor in one of their Class-As (recently) and they were doing all sorts of things to fix it.

You may have found the key, but what I did to fix mine - or at least improve it was insulate the fuel lines and the fuel pump as much as possible. It gets hot and the fuel vaporizes.. Which is why you're seeing what you're seeing (no fuel @ prime).
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
trueweb

More testing yesterday and today. I'm down to an ignition issue.

I cleaned the carb thoroughly including draining the bowl. I then fired it up and let it run. Died in 30 minutes. I checked the bowl by draining it. Plenty of fuel came out. The fact that it dies suddenly, no sputtering or revving like an engine out of gas also indicates that. I was hoping it wasn't.

Now it can be down to the control board or maybe something worse. I've read the magnetos can be a problem with heat, but I have not been able to find replacements online and they require the generator to be pulled.

Anyone know any good Onan service techs around central Virginia?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
rnkburg

Onan repair here is the cummins big truck service center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote