Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
jerseyphil

RVing IN THE COLD WEATHER

I don't have my 1st RV yet, and I'm curious about camping in the cold weather.

I like the 318SAB, and would like to camp well into cooler weather. How cold can it be and still be comfortable in this fifth wheel, or any similar model?

Thanks,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
jerseyphil

Sorry...... that is a Keystone Cougar 318SAB Fifth Wheel.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I noted your other post about the insulation (or lack of) that is standard with this model. Your comfort level in cooler or cold weather will, of course, depend upon a number of factors: the outside temperature and weather, if you are dry camping or plugged in, and how well the RV is insulated, to name a few. If you are plugged in, you can always bring along space heaters to keep you warm and comfortable. If not, then you might consider something like the "Mr. Buddy" line of of catalytic propane heaters. We use one of their products in conjunction with the RV furnace. You will need something to keep your batteries charged up if you are running your furnace for any length of time. Some use generators while others use solar panels.
Not sure about the temperatures you are considering camping in but "cool" is okay but "cold" or long periods of below freezing temperatures is another thing.
Not sure if that particular model has the 'Polar Package" designation but I wouldn't rely too much on that marketing gimmick.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
jerseyphil

Festus2,

Thanks so much for your reply. I see you have the 27RKS. That is the Xlite I was considering. I'm guessing it DOES have insulation and the Polar Package. I've read that the Polar Package is more hype than anything else, and that the RV furnace must be running to heat the underbelly even a little bit.

Thanks for the info on camping in COOL weather and not in COLD weather.

Regards,
Phil
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
campingcpl

We have a 2009 Sprinter and have been able to camp well into late October. We stayed in South Dakota in late October with temps into the mid to lower 30's and stayed pretty comfortable using just the furnace. We didn't have much of a problem with stuff freezing up. One thing I would recomend if you are staying in temps that are going to drop below freezing is to wrap the termination valves with a little heat tape. It will make life a whole lot easier when it comes to dumping your tanks.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
KanTC

Another suggestion for 'cold' weather camping/traveling -- assuming the temps will drop below freezing at night -- disconnect (& store) your fresh water hose. We always carry a broom... which also comes in handy to sweep several inches of unexpected snow off the slide-out.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
jerseyphil

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I got your message. So, Space Heater, heat tape, a broom, and disconnect the fresh water hose.

I DO plan on camping into mid 30's temps, but that is my limit.

Hope I get to see some of you real soon!!

Phil
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
kingji

RV'ing in cold weather

I just camped for a week in SE N.M. during January. The night temps dropped down to 20 for a few nights. This was the maiden voyage in our new Springdale 279. I had done it before in a 27' Dutchman several times. What we've always done is used one of the single burner catalytic heaters on a 20 lb propane bottle set on low. I then set the thermostat in the camper for about 65-70 degrees. if the temp drops low enough the camper heater will kick on and warm things up with minimal cycles. Seem like the Spingdale is insulated a little better than my previous camper so we stayed real comfortable. As a safety precaution I always crack a couple of overhead vents about a half inch. Only had one occasion that the water in the kitchen faucet froze. Hope this helped.
Jimmy King
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
antiqfreq

I do know from cold weather - it is 20 degrees right now.
Expecting teens for next two days.
Last two days had ice storms.......bbrrrrrr.
Going thru lots of propane, but gotta stay warm!

Blankets are the key and we are bundling up when going outside.

And this is only central Georgia - what's up with that??

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
traveler

We are in Panama City Beach Florida, currently 26 with a wind chill to 17. This is the second day of a 3 day weather pattern.
To be 65 on Sunday.
Our analog thermostate is working properly, supplemented by a very good electric heater.
Outside water is frozen, our fresh water holding tank is full and working because we are using the propane furnace.
Everyone here, from $300,000 dollar motorhomes, fifthe wheels to us are using a lot of propane, but it is comfortable inside the trailer.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
mikell

Here in South West Michigan we have lots of snow and lows in the teens every night. Our Alpine seems to be doing well, about 100lbs of propane every 2 plus weeks. We have a radiator type electric heater in the living room on all the time and the fireplace when were home and the furnace doesn't run too much. The furnace seems a lot more efficient than the old Terry but 11 years newer you would expect that. We need a rug for in front of the sink but other than that were good to go all winter
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Ruffus

Thumbs up cold weather

Mike
We have been fulltiming in Central California for the last couple months. Our lows have been as low as 19 degrees but averaging between 28 and 32 degrees. I bought a Broan heater which only measures 6 inches square but it keeps the temps in our 38 foot 5ver high enough the we only use about 25 pounds of propane every three weeks and 30 pounds last about a month.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
mikell

Single digits the next few nights but not worried at all, highs are going to be in the mid teens. No problems with water or sewer so far but a warm spell took some ice and a clearance light but didn't break it. Got good power the voltage doesn't move around too much. Only thing is a funny smell I think it's the fireplace use it on low and after a few hours ??? Don't know what to think.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
rjsurfer

The key to keep from freezing up our Keystones that have the heated underbelly is not to rely on electric heaters to keep the inside of the trailer warm. You have to keep the factory gas heater running as the primary source of heat.

They only use the a 2" outlet from the bottom of the heater manifold to pump heat into the underbelly..not much if you ask me and if you keep the heater running sporadically it will never heat the basement enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

Also another trick is to keep the cabinet doors open a bit under the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and any location that has exposed pipes running near an outside wall. That will allow heat to enter those spots and keep things cozy for the pipes.

Don't be tempted to insulate the bare heater flex hose that runs through the storage area (at least it does in my Cougar) to heat the bedroom, heat from that pipe is what Keystone uses to warm all those exposed water hoses that run under the bedroom pass through storage area. I once froze some plumbing under there and had to drop a small electric space heater in there to un-freeze them.

But I'm not complaining, I knew when I bought the Cougar it was at best a marginal three season camper.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
mikell

Yup your right we froze last night. It froze rifht behind the waterworks. We use an electric heater and the fireplace. We had a heater in the basement but the furnace was running enough to keep it off so I turned it up. Got some holes to plug today and more insulation to put in. It was 4 with a -10 windchill. Tonights going to be 8.

More to follow after breakfast
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
mikell

Ok I found several air leaks and around the sewer valves there was a major air leak and the whole area it needed help. I have a bunch of insulation from work 1" thick and 30" square and started cutting and fitting it's like fiberglass but plastic and fireproof. Really made a big difference in just minutes. I have a plan to glue some between layers of bubble wrap and use velcro to hang it from the top so it hangs down in front of the basement doors but is easy to remove.

I already insulated the back of the propane tank area.

The water works heat duct had fallen off so I tightened the clamp and used more wire ties to secure it up out odf the way.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
Wolfwalker

I found lots of air leaks in mine, around the fridge and pantry next to fridge, where the service is connected to the trailer with a 2-1/2" hole flowing cold air in the end table built into the trailer, air coming from the tube feeding the hydraulic hoses to the bedroom slide, the floor exposed by the propane compartments, leaks on the slide arm openings in the frame...hitch exposed to the under floor....