Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
cpaulsen

water heater switch

Has anybody put another or changed the electric switch on the Surburban water heater? Instead of the little switch on the heater outside.....moving it to the inside??
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Jim W

Hi,
With our camper and I bet yours too, you will have a circuit breaker switch on your electrical panel in side the camper. I use this to turn on and off the water heater instead of the out side switch. During the camping season I leave the small switch turned on and then use the circuit breaker switch to turn the water heater on and off. When the season is over and the camper is winterized then I turn off this switch until next camping season.
I have added this to our check off list to insure that the heater is turned off before powering down the camper and unplugging the unit when we move to another site.
The circuit breaker is ease to get to and I do not need to add another switch in the camper.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
cpaulsen

I thought about that.I was thinking of a lighted switch under the kitchen counter next to the entry door. Its recessed there so a switch could not be hit accidently and being lighted...it is easy to see. We have a Cougar 24RLS.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
cpaulsen

Well....an update. Don't have to wear the circuit breaker switch out. Put a lighted switch between the junction box for the water heater and the circuit breaker. Put the switch right by the front door in a recessed panel. A Cougar 24RLS. No bending down to the floor and turning the breaker off....and being lighted..easy to see if its on.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
kenn209

So the switch on the wall/panel is gas only? My old Jayco had 2 switches on the wall one was for Gas and the other Electric. Sorry for the dumb question
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
So the switch on the wall/panel is gas only? My old Jayco had 2 switches on the wall one was for Gas and the other Electric. Sorry for the dumb question
Yes.....my one switch on the wall was for gas only....I installed another switch just for the electric portion.