Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
witekjm

Sealant on RV roof cracking

Our Passport is a year old. I noticed the sealant around all the openings the manufacturer cut in the roof (A/C, vents, and TV antenna) has multiple cracks (or fissures) through out the sealant. I noticed the sealant looks like it was poured on to form thick coating.

Has any other Keystone owner come across this? What was your solution? Thanks, JW
Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
cpaulsen

sealant

Just grab some Dicor and apply new sealant.It is self-leveling. Every year I go up and check my roof and the sealant and re-caulk if I need to.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Just grab some Dicor and apply new sealant.It is self-leveling. Every year I go up and check my roof and the sealant and re-caulk if I need to.
Good advice, but one more thing you need to do. You need to clean the sealant first before you re-caulk over the old sealant. I use Acetone to clean the sealant first then re-caulk with new caulk over the old.
When you are done let the rags air dry and then throw them away do not re-use them.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
geo

Exclamation EPDM rubber roofing

Just a word of warning. If you have an EPDM rubber roof, do not under any circumstances use anything that has any petroleum distillates in it. Just about anything with a petroleum distillate in it will contain a warning - a warning that it contains petroleum distillate. No silicon caulk, no naptha to clean the roof, etc. If you look at some products, even from Dicor, you will see that it contains petroleum distillates - just pass those by!

What happens is that even if there is just a little petroleum distillate in the product, it will seep into the rubber and cause it to separate from the roof material - you get permanent bubbles!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
therink

FYI, I read about a recall from keystone regarding defective roof caulk on some late models. May want to look into that.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
witekjm

Smile

All, Thanks for your replies. I'll look into the recall notice. JW
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
witekjm

Smile Sealant on roof

I applied new sealant during Columbus Day Weekend. Used Black Streak Remover mixed with water to clean the old sealant and remove cracking pieces. Worked fine. Applied Proflex sealant to cocwer cracked areas. Made a nice seal. I'll appy this process yearly. JW
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

As GEO rightly pointed out in his previous post, products which contain Petroleum Distillates should not be used on an EPDM roof membrane. If you look at Pro Flex RV Sealant, it does contain petroleum distillates. If you are using it over the existing Dicor self-leveling sealant, that may be alright. However, if you are removing the Dicor sealant or if you are filling cracks in it with ProFlex, you might want to rethink this. It may, as you said, "look nice" but may not be the best product to use because it is not compatible with EPDM roofing.
To be on the safe side, why not fill your cracks with Dicor self-leveling sealant? That way, you should not run into any problems with the ProFlex gradually "eating away" at your EPDM roof - should the two come in contact.
This may all be moot anyway since you have already done your caulking and resealing with ProFlex.