Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
seattleslug

Thoughts on winterizing

I live at the mouth of Snowbird canyon here in Utah (12-18in of snow in winter) While my Springdale will be in "hibernation" on the protected side of my house, Other than totally blowing out and antifreezing my water system etc, is there any reason why/whynot I should keep my 120v power to the unit? I have 2 new 12v deep charge batteries that are fully charged. I was thinking I would disconnect the batteries and keep them in the garage, but with the 120v plugged in, they will be kept in a constant charging state, or is that a bad thing? Are the covered propane tanks okay? do they need to be "topped off"? Do I really need to invest in a $300+ 28ft RV Cover? There are MUCH colder parts in the US, I would be interested in any advice from those of you who are experienced with storing your "baby" in the cold.
seattleslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you can easily remove your batteries, I would take them out and store them in a warmer area, put a trickle charger on them and make sure you top them up with water from time to time. As you indicated, you can leave them in the RV and use the converter to charge them up but with the freezing temps there, you might want to take them inside.
Your propane tanks are fine - if you want to top them off that would work too.
The breathable covers you see wont keep your RV any warmer and there are a wide variety of opinions about the pros and cons of covering. I think the majority of people avoid using covers for a variety of reasons --- chaffing, billowing, marking up sides and top, etc. I think the jury is still out regarding the issue of to cover or not to cover and most people on here will most likely tell you to forget it and save your money.