Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old Today, 08:38 AM   #41
HDroadglide

I replaced my tires and just got back from a 5500 mile trip. NO Problems.
they are Heartland 14 PLY bought at Discount tires. Now I am taking them in to be rotated at now cost every 5000 miles.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #42
Tireman9

Who made the tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You know you can track your tires back to the OEM provider who can track them back to the tire building plant.

https://www.tredittire.com/tires/

It's easier and faster to look at the DOT serial. The first two characters in the serial identify the specific plant where the tires were made.
Here is a link
https://www.wfirm.com/complete-list-...t-plant-codes/
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #43
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
IMO.
Hispec tires do not belong on any Alpine..or Montana.. images of Hispec tire failures… All Alpines.All OEM tires..

Mileages ranges from 500 miles to 8000 miles.. no specifics on each tire image as to cold inflation but each OP stated they were properly inflated for the load, tow speeds were under 70 mph.

This is just a small sampling over the last four months from various Alpine owners with blowouts from Oracle Hispe 14 ply tires installed from the factory

Pictures are too low quality but are the cord ends outlined in this tire, hard or frayed?
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #44
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
We recently returned from a 62 day 6730 mile summer trip. I will detail a trip report in a differing forum, but we had an amazing time.

The one downside was I blew 3 of my 5(including spare) Hi-Spec tires during that trip. And when I say blew I mean they went off like a bomb. The first one, driver side front, went about midway into the trip up in Maine. It, of course ruined the underside belly tape and skirting around it. It also blew the snap pad off of my leveling jack which flew into a passing truck damaging his headlight and grille.

The 2nd tire (driver side rear) went just outside of Nashville and completely destroyed the remainder of the skirting and underbelly tape along with blowing off the other snap pad, which I was able to recover from the middle of the road. The fender trim also blew off and is ruined.

The 3rd tire happened after our trip when I was bringing the camper to the dealer for warranty/repair/recall work. This one was passenger side and damaged the underbelly tape, lost the snap pad in 6 lanes of traffic in Orlando, and damaged the skirting.

So in 2 months I have significant damage that I will bear the cost of for some really poor tires. I absolutely have 0 confidence left in the remaining 2 hi-spec tires and it won’t leave the dealer without a new set.

The dealer (General RV) says Keystone won’t help out with the tires. They are willing to give me RoadX tires at their cost. Their “cost”, however, is higher than what I can get online but maybe I can get them to mount and balance them for me. I am going to reach out to Keystone personally as this shouldn’t happen with a 5th wheel that is less than a year old.

I have(had, these were blown apart as well)TPMS in all the tires, pressure always checked prior to leaving and temp monitored along the way. No warning or indications prior to explosions.

Long story short I recommend taking a hard look at getting differing tires than the factory Hi-Spec’s if you have the STw235/80R16G size and rating.

On another note finding quality tires when you are in desperate need is challenging and I ended up with 2 differing tire replacements from local tire shops where I had the issues. One being a Trailer King tire and one being a Navitrac. These are both low end tires at the $200 mark. I will say that visually both of these tires look much more “commercial” and robust than the Hi-Spec tire which looks like a normal road tire.

I am looking for inputs for a quality G rated tire. The RoadX tires are made in Canada and General RV puts them in their “best” category. I have never heard of them. These forums suggest Sailun tires, which are made in China, are great tires and people have had a lot of luck with them. I had Goodyear Endurance on my previous trailer and I liked them but they don’t make them in a G load rating. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Rob

Sorry to hear of your problems. A couple of questions:
What was the scale reading for each axle on the trailer?
What is the low pressure warning level for your TPMS?
What is your normal "cold" inflation pressure
What is the GAWR shown on the RV Certification label?
Have any good pictures (close up in full sunlight?)
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #45
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The 4th possibly is cheap a## Chinese tires, aka China Bombs!
Regardless of what the RVIA specs may be for the recommended load carrying capability there are just some brands of tires, HiSpec, TKs & couple others, that aren't adequate to be put on a covered wagon. I can't believe every blow out on those few brands are all due to those 3 cases of abuse by the rv owner you've quoted, too much of coincidence that those brands blow up.

Measurement of well over 10,000 RVs by RVSEF confirms that most rvs have one or more tires in overload.

Neither RVIA or RVSEF specify the load capacity of tires. That info comes from tire industry standards and are published in the Tire & Rim Yearbook

RVIA is recommending that tires applied to RVs be rated to support 110% of the GAWR. The only way to know if you meet this is to get on a truck scale when the RV is fully loaded to the expected heaviest loading.

Tags
tires