Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
xrated

Norcold 2118.....Alive and Well, Finally...

So we made the trip to Shipshewana, IN for our appt. with JC Refrigeration. This morning, at 10:30AM I pulled the big Momentum into their facilities for the install of a twin 12VDC compressor setup. By 12:30, it was installed and running, and starting to cool down. In 2 1/2 hours the fresh food section was down to 34 degrees, and the freezer was at 5 degrees. It's now 4 hours later, and the fresh food section is at 33 degrees (on setting number 4), and the freezer is -2 degrees (set to "0" degrees). The twin compressor setup/mod has two separate thermostats. The normal one on the front of the fridge controls the fresh food section, then there is a digital thermostat on the rear of the unit that controls the freezer section.

Such an improvement that I can't hardly believe my eyes as I'm sitting here in the camper typing this. Fingers crossed that it will give me many years of great service....I'm already pretty impressed. Friendly folks, they did a nice looking install, and it comes with a 3 year warranty, plus the option to extend it another three years if you feel so inclined.

The LiFePO battery that I built will be the source of power while traveling and they claim that the unit will run about 50% of the time it's on. Of course that will depend on how hot the temperatures are, in direct sun, how many times the doors are opened, etc, etc. I'm figuring the battery by itself would keep it going just under 40 hours if I run it down to about 25% SOC.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #2
xrated

No comments on this subject??? I would have thought that there were some folks on here that have had issues with a Norcold, both the 12 cu. ft. and the 18 cu. ft. models not working well......comments anyone?

Old 08-11-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
Moneyslinger

I'm about to install a 12v Cannon in my 2012 Outback to replace my OEM Dometic...going from 6 cuft to 10.4 cuft in the same amount of space. Testing it in my garage now. Why is there not more discussion on these 12v fridges???
Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyslinger View Post
I'm about to install a 12v Cannon in my 2012 Outback to replace my OEM Dometic...going from 6 cuft to 10.4 cuft in the same amount of space. Testing it in my garage now. Why is there not more discussion on these 12v fridges???
I have no idea on the why of your question. I know a lot of folks like the fact that the traditional absorption fridge can be used while travelling, but so can the 12V fridge and so can the residential fridge (as long as you have an inverter for it and enough battery power).

The fact that my absorption fridge never really worked good from day one, kept pushing me to try improvements.....adding fans in the rear compartment area, fixing the door flap issue, trying different things with the thermistor location on the inside fins....pretty much to no avail. I finally accepted defeat and had the 12V compressor mod done and I'm very happy with it. I didn't gain any cu. ft. of space, since the same fridge went back in, but 18 cu. ft. was plenty big for us.....and now it actually works as a fridge should work.

The 12V fridges are relatively new to the RV world, so probably just not a lot of acceptance for them yet. You did good, hopefully, going from 6 cu. ft. to about 10 1/2 cu ft. I've never heard of the Cannon brand fridge before, so hopefully it's something you researched and it turns out to be a great product for you.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyslinger View Post
Purely speculation on my part, but likely the reason there's not more discussion on these 12v refrigerators is the same reason there's not more "sales discussion" (advertisments) on buying electric cars or battery powered ATV's or why there's not more discussion on the battery powered inverter systems (replacements for propane/gas generators)....

They are "new to the market", don't meet the RV requirements for people who are looking to dry camp, aren't "serious competition for the established products" and they have no "tried and true following" that would create a significant demand for their inclusion on the options list for most RV brands....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
Moneyslinger

The potential upside on these things are impressive if the low energy usage in this video is true (link below)...not to mention the almost double capacity because you gain all the space behind the standard fridge that's normally wasted because of the evaporator coil.

I just installed lots of solar so powering while driving should not be an issue. But these new 12v fridges are taller so I will have to modify my shelf above the fridge.

Cannon Model: MRF-314W-BS

The Cannon looks and operates suspiciously like the Everchill. While these 12v go new for about $1500 I picked up mine at a liquidator near Elkart for $350. Time will tell...but so far temps are holding in my garage test in 90º weather. I'll post energy draw next time I get to the garage.

Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote