Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
SharkJen

Towing issues with new Sprinter

We pulled our new 38’ Sprinter travel trailer on a weekend trip with a GMC 2500 diesel Duramax Sierra. First trip for this trailer and this truck pulling. There was a lot more sway than pulling a 5th wheel with the old 3/4 ton truck. I expected additional movement, but the trailer felt kind of squirrely. We were so uncomfortable with trucks passing on the interstate we got off and went back roads. We need to investigate the tow settings for the truck, there was a subtle but constant push-pull motion that made me think maybe the trailer braking was off, also made me motion sick, or some kind of traction control issue. (I’m not the truck owner/driver, just the one more nervous about pulling the trailer. Sorry if I don’t know all the details of the truck.) That aside, people have suggested that a sway control hitch would help the trailer ride more stably. Any thoughts on this, or suggestions for a specific hitch?
SharkJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your pulling a 38’ bumper pull trailer without any weight distribution AND sway control, your asking for a scary ride.

Lots of choices, but I always recommend the Equalizer E4 hitch. It has WD and sway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Travel trailers are definitely move around more and yes a sway control WDH makes a big difference. I have a 2500 Duramax as well and have pulled similar sized trailers using the blue ox sway pro. It always feels a little different compared to a 5th wheel, but you get used to it quickly. Without a WDH and sway control, you’ll never get used to it, because it’s not consistent or predictable.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If you're pulling a 38' bumper pull on the back of a 3/4 ton truck without weight distribution and sway control you just introduced yourself to sway (and the motion sickness that comes with it) along with the loss of control caused by that type of hook up. It's dangerous. I too recommend the Equalizer weight distribution hitch with 4 point sway control (4 point is mandatory IMO on that large of a trailer). Until then prepare for motion sickness and hope like heck the trailer doesn't take the truck for a ride across the median.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
rhagfo

Well not sure why one would go from 5th wheel to a TT, other than price or bad knees. Towing a 38’ TT without a WDH with sway control is asking for a white knuckle driving experience.
The other items is the TT should tow level or slightly nose down and have a minimum of 12% tongue weight.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
meaz93*

I tow a 38' Outback TT with a 2021 F250 ( total length of the trailer with the rear cargo carrier down[emoji6] )...and a "cost effective" Curt WDH w/ sway control; actually setup for 2.
I wouldn't tow the trailer long distances without the WDH and at least 1 sway control.
That being said it sounds like you don't have enough weight distributed on the hitch/ ball.
You shouldn't get pushed around at all when serup correctly-IMO
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
Gegrad

Yep, just here to confirm what everyone else has said. You gotta have a WDH with a 4-pt sway control to tow a trailer that long, HD truck or not. That tail is definitely wagging the dog. Get a proper hitch, read the manual/watch some videos on adjusting it and I can almost guarantee your problems will disappear (short of there being an axle problem on the trailer).
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
SharkJen

Thank you all, very much appreciated!

Looking into these options now!
SharkJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, tow, towing