Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2022, 11:07 PM   #41
sierraman68

When we switched from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel a couple of years ago we had to change from a hard sided kayak to an inflatable. After a lot of research we went with the Sea Eagle 385ft FastTrack and have been very happy with it. It is easy to paddle and with it's inflatable keel and removable, swept back skeg it tracks better than my old hard sided kayak. The 385ft FastTrack can be paddled tandem or solo.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:41 AM   #42
RickV

We bought a Tobin two seater from Costco last year. We were staying at Lake Vermilion State Park in SD when we decided to finally try it out. We inflate it put it in the water on the east side of the lake and off we go. after about 15 minutes we returned to the dock, the wind was blowing so hard from the west we only went out about 50 yards before we gave up. We haven't tried it again since then. One thing we noticed was that we sat too low in it it was hard to paddle, so we need to get some kinda inflatable cushions or maybe even a couple of life jackets to boost us up a more few inches.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:59 AM   #43
jasin1

As I said earlier I have the west marine (advanced elements ) two seater.
The AE kayaks are built really nice they have quick filling air seat cushions with backs that clip in..and the material that they are made of has a a fabric/ vinyl covering…it feels more puncture resistant then just vinyl…and I love how it stores flat in its own bag/suitcase

I bought an old blue hole canoe for my daughter last year and the guy sold me a bunch of extra stuff, a Sevylor inflatable kayak…it’s heavy duty but just all vinyl …haven’t used it yet. I just got it to keep around the house..but it seems like it would puncture much easier..and just looks cheaper…like a kids toy
Old 02-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #44
Shedboy

Kayak vs Inflatable boat - extreme fishing

OK - just for FUN..... for the animal provokers - I don't know much about reptiles but as for Ursidaes (Bears) a ridged floor boat is preferable to a Kayak because you can hide under it when they come prowling around camp. It can also be used as a shelter after a hard days paddling or an unexpected storm hits or the wind comes up suddenly. If you pack enough rope (in addition to that needed to string your backpack from an overhanging tree) you can suspend the boat upside down from trees as a shelter or if you're really tired just put your sleeping bag under it.

Bears can be a real problem in late fall when the rain starts and the salmon run, the same event that attracts fishermen. The only redemption is that there are so many fish to eat the bears aren't particularly hungry and only take prey of opportunity. Putting the boat up on end to make yourself look bigger than you are and yelling and banging on the boat usually discourages them. Last resort, make a beeline for the water and jump in (the opposite of alligators), they're too lazy to follow you into deep water.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #45
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
OK - just for FUN..... for the animal provokers - I don't know much about reptiles but as for Ursidaes (Bears) a ridged floor boat is preferable to a Kayak because you can hide under it when they come prowling around camp. It can also be used as a shelter after a hard days paddling or an unexpected storm hits or the wind comes up suddenly. If you pack enough rope (in addition to that needed to string your backpack from an overhanging tree) you can suspend the boat upside down from trees as a shelter or if you're really tired just put your sleeping bag under it.

Bears can be a real problem in late fall when the rain starts and the salmon run, the same event that attracts fishermen. The only redemption is that there are so many fish to eat the bears aren't particularly hungry and only take prey of opportunity. Putting the boat up on end to make yourself look bigger than you are and yelling and banging on the boat usually discourages them. Last resort, make a beeline for the water and jump in (the opposite of alligators), they're too lazy to follow you into deep water.

Reminds me of this ..oldie but funny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3309B34-561F-48FC-BC87-B132F3D48B13.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	38502  
Old 02-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #46
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
As I said earlier I have the west marine (advanced elements ) two seater.
The AE kayaks are built really nice they have quick filling air seat cushions with backs that clip in..and the material that they are made of has a a fabric/ vinyl covering…it feels more puncture resistant then just vinyl…and I love how it stores flat in its own bag/suitcase
Ever fished from it?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #47
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Ever fished from it?
No we just paddle around with it..you could fish from it but would be juggling things around I guess
Old 02-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #48
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I have (and would recommend) this kayak. https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370

My advice? Don't buy a single-seater even if it's just for you.

My dog, Hemi, likes to play coxswain.
Does he fish from the Kayak?
Old 02-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #49
slow

If you want a rigid inflatable kayak, buy one using drop stitch construction. It is much stiffer as a result of the higher air pressure you apply to it. Benefit is less effort to move. Trade off is higher cost.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #50
Qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I've considered the 370. Worried about it flexing under my big and tall frame, since it doesn't have the rigid floor.
If inflated to the correct pressure, there's no noticeable sag.

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #51
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post

I figure as long as I’m faster than the person I’m with, it’s all good. (Said totally tongue in cheek).

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:56 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I figure as long as I’m faster than the person I’m with, it’s all good. (Said totally tongue in cheek).
I used to be faster but that edge has sort of left me...BUT that's what that nice big hickory axe handle is for - so I can be faster than the other guy.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #53
flybouy
Site Team

I'm a "ounce of prevention kind of guy" so I avoid areas with predators. Iif I'm forced into traveling into bear country then I'll have around 230 g of "prevention".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #54
Balvar24

I received my Sea Eagle 370 this week. Hopefully I'll have some weather next week to test it.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #55
Qwerty

Congrats, Balzar. Here are some things I've learned:

Don't underinflate. She'll take a lot of pressure, no problem.

The supplied foot pump is far quicker than an electric one, good exercise too.

Keep the pump out of the sun where possible. The plastic tubing will crack from UV damage.

If you can squeeze it back in the bag after use, you're a better man than me.

Store your oars assembled. The aluminium tubing is very soft & trying to reassemble can be a bugger if you dent the joining points.

Lastly: Look out for those knob-for-brains on jet skis & have fun!

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #56
Balvar24

The kids and I have been able.to take the Sea Eagle out. Seems sturdy. For the price, I'm not disappointed at all.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:41 AM   #57
Shedboy

Go with the Flow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
We bought a Tobin two seater from Costco last year. We were staying at Lake Vermilion State Park in SD when we decided to finally try it out. We inflate it put it in the water on the east side of the lake and off we go. after about 15 minutes we returned to the dock, the wind was blowing so hard from the west we only went out about 50 yards before we gave up. We haven't tried it again since then. One thing we noticed was that we sat too low in it it was hard to paddle, so we need to get some kinda inflatable cushions or maybe even a couple of life jackets to boost us up a more few inches.

Solution: (assuming there are two people).

1. Get a big kite and 100 yards woven parachute cord. Some marine lifeboat gear used to carry nylon fabric pop-up umbrella style box kites w aluminum tubing frame, used for radio antennas . Watch out for lightning storms!
2. Drive to the windward side of the lake.
3. Setup kayak, be sure to have a secure anchor point in bow of kayak for kite cord.
4. Go fly a kite! Hang on, the lower you are, the better!
5. Have partner pick U up other side of lake.
6. Getting out is more difficult than getting in, have to deal with kite, kayak in the wind, fishing gear and partner (where is he,she?).
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #58
flyingjack

We've had a SeaEagle 473RL for two years: double stitched etc=10 PSI, high pressure. Had it on rivers in Idaho and CO. Compared to hard shell kayak and performance is pretty close; definitely close enough for us amateurs. It is a kayak and handles like a "kayak"; therefore not a seriously stable boat but fast when you get serious about paddling. This IS a flat water kayak; not white water. Looking forward to getting into the ocean next winter.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:41 PM   #59
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
We've had a SeaEagle 473RL for two years: double stitched etc=10 PSI, high pressure. Had it on rivers in Idaho and CO. Compared to hard shell kayak and performance is pretty close; definitely close enough for us amateurs. It is a kayak and handles like a "kayak"; therefore not a seriously stable boat but fast when you get serious about paddling. This IS a flat water kayak; not white water. Looking forward to getting into the ocean next winter.
Those look neat. I want to be able to fish out of mine. Took it camping with us last week. Not the fastest boat on the water, but it worked well considering.