Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #1
bowlerman

Carbon 338 Roof Bubbles

I want to buy a 338 Carbon Toy Hauler and the roof has a lot of Bubbles where it goes over the top down the sides. Every Carbon and Raptor on the lot had Bubbles. Should I be concerned?
bowlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I would be concerned. Bubbles may go away after time, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen them appear and then go away.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I’ve seen bubbles appear and go away all on the same day. Depending on temps. Had one rv at my house that I was doing some work on, in the morning when it was cooler, the roof looked great. In the afternoon when it was hot, all kinds of bubbles. I checked it over a couple days and it was consistent. The material does expand and contract with changes in temperature.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve heard it’s the solvents in the glue “outgassing”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:42 AM   #5
ChuckS

It’s absolutely normal with the TPO membranes.. my.2014 has had bubbles in various places since day one.l

Depending on the outside temp and direct sunlight the bubbles will come and go and also will show up in one areas and then disappear as temps change..

The important areas .. IMO are the keening edge if the TPO membrane where it meets at the metal transition strip, same at the rear and all vents, skylights, etc

Use self leveling sealant on the flat areas and non sag on the vertical edges to maintain good seal

And this means getting up on the roof at least 4 times a year and taking the time to inspect and reseal as required

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:37 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlerman View Post
I want to buy a 338 Carbon Toy Hauler and the roof has a lot of Bubbles where it goes over the top down the sides. Every Carbon and Raptor on the lot had Bubbles. Should I be concerned?
Without knowing what YOUR definition of "a lot of Bubbles" is, and without knowing the size of those bubbles, it's impossible to make any assessment.

A "lot of Bubbles" to one person may be "not enough to worry about" to someone else. And, at least for me, a "few" (less than 3 or 4) that are 2 or 3 inches in diameter on the curve at the roof/sidewall transition is significantly less of a "worry or concern" than 10 or 12 bubbles that are 3 feet long in that same area.....

It seems that most manufacturers have stopped using the "rolled roof/sidewall transition strips" in favor of the cheaper "square roof/sidewall build". With EPDM and TPO roofing, both types of transition will work and the square corners is significantly cheaper to build. If the corners don't match "perfectly with the sidewall" then there will be gaps that will produce "bubbles". It's a part of the limitations for today's "cheaper build practices" and so far in about 10 or so years, hasn't caused a lot of issues. But.....

So, maybe some photos of what you're talking about.... Depending on what you're actually seeing, it may be "normal and you'll find it on almost every trailer built using the same construction standards" or it may be a "run (don't walk) away from that trailer" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
bowlerman

The bubbles are where it comes down the sides. Some are 4in wide and 12in long or more. Thank you for the responses.
bowlerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof