Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
larryflew

Alpine nose separation

Anyone have a clue what would cause this nose separation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sep1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	40981   Click image for larger version

Name:	sep2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	40982   Click image for larger version

Name:	sep3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	40983  
Old 08-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Larry, the pic you have label "body", is that a bedroom slide? If so, suspect you might want to look at your frame forward of the slide. they have been known to crack.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
travelin texans

All 5th wheels will have some movement in that area, some have a piece trim there covering the crack, some have a crack & need trim. That area that says "body" & "nose" is a typical area that a stress crack in the filon will occur which is the reason for that piece of trim.
As for the trim coming loose it has shrunk &/or just pulled loose from that area flexing a bit.
Is the frame cracked? There are ways they can test if it's cracked or whether it's just due to stress.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
bsmith0404

What year is the rv?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
ChuckS

Sure looks like a classic case of frame flex to my eyes…there is a specific procedure to check it out..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert frame flex measurement.pdf (97.1 KB, 144 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
larryflew

2011 3200re
Old 08-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I don’t know, this kind of stuff can be caused by a few things. Heat/shrinkage over the years, water intrusion, frame flex. Imo, I would say the first two are probably a combination that are the cause. Things tend to shrink up over the years, that can cause it to pull away and the sealant to be compromised. Then water can get in and cause more problems. Keeping all of the seems sealed is just as important as checking the roof.

Not saying it isn’t frame flex, go through the test procedure to verify. Alpines are built pretty rigid, I haven’t heard of or seen many problems with them and the 3200 is one of the lightest in the line (all are pretty close in size and weight from those years).
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #8
ChuckS

[QUOTE=bsmith0404;512200]I don’t know, this kind of stuff can be caused by a few things. Heat/shrinkage over the years, water intrusion, frame flex. Imo, I would say the first two are probably a combination that are the cause. Things tend to shrink up over the years, that can cause it to pull away and the sealant to be compromised. Then water can get in and cause more problems. Keeping all of the seems sealed is just as important as checking the roof.

Not saying it isn’t frame flex, go through the test procedure to verify. Alpines are built pretty rigid, I haven’t heard of or seen many problems with them and the 3200 is one of the lightest in the line (all are pretty close in size and weight from those years).[/QUOTE]

In the last Six weeks I have seen the images of 10 Alpines with frame flex, broken welds on the Aluminum studs, etc..

While the frame itself is a pretty solid frame the structure mounted into the frame could have used a lot more forethought with regards to welds and lack of additional bracing.

According to one of the Keystone Alpine Division folks some of us have been conversing with they are taking steps to add beef up plates under neath at the foredeck to frame structure as well as additional gussets.. Only time will tell if they have resolved this decades old issue

From what I have seen images of NO year or Model Alpine has escaped the issue .. some have frame flex and broken welds and others don’t..of the same model and year groups..

So far after nine years of use and 40K miles it towing we have been lucky. I watch how much crap I pack forward of the wheels..especially in the front forward compartment

Some have reported that 1/4 inch of movement is ok.. I don’t agree with that at all..

FOR THE OP…

Watch this video of a Grand Design with Lippert frame to give you a but more breadth of understanding what “might be” occurring with your Alpine

https://youtu.be/OQ0kbkyKzt4

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Can’t say I’ve seen a crack where it showed in that video, but I’ve seen broken welds.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine