Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #41
LI Guy

Same here..no probs with Andersen hitch in my short bed Ram
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #42
James R Moneypenny

This might help

I have had 2016 and 2022 F-250's and a 2017 35' Keystone Avalanche. Use the Anderson hitch. Never had a problem backing up. Just keep an eye on the camper when you are backing up. Making sure your camper is high enough above the sides of the truck is probably a more likely concern. This issue can be aggravated if the road bed is very uneven.
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #43
Rwake901

I had the exact same concerns as you. So Before I purchased a hitch for my truck I emailed Keystone about if I needed a slider hitch with a 6 1/2 ft bed. I was told by Keystone that “no” I would not need a slider hitch because of their “max turn technology “ so I didn’t buy one and have had no problems with the standard hitch. Some trucks come with an even shorter bed than 6 1/2 ft (I know my brothers is) which you will need a slider hitch.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #44
glendar10

Swr and anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauliWalnuts View Post
I think I have 3 options

1. Reese Goosebox
Pros
I can install a BW turnover ball and use a 4" extender and from what i can
tell from other posters will give me 80+ degree turning which is more than
I would prob feel comfortable with. Also provides some cushion for
Chucking as well as empty bed with no adaptor/hitch, easy to get clean bed
Easier install as I don't need to take the bed off
Cons
More difficult to connect. I would need to add a bed camera or have a
spotter. You would also need to have an air compresser to pump it up

2. BW Companion hitch with factory puck system
Pros
BW is the standard in hitches. I can get it out easily as it breaks down
to 2 pieces ~75 lbs each. Easier connection.
Cons
Have to remove bed to install puck system. Might not get full 80+ degree
maneuverability, but I could add a swivel hitch, but those are expensive.
3. Slider Hitch
Pros
Will provide full 90 degree turn maneuverability. Can instaall turnover
ball which won't require bed removal
Cons
Very heavy requiring a hoist to remove from the truck to get clean bed

I am leaning toward option 2. Seems like the most secure and is tried and true. The only issue is if I can't get the maneuverability I will need to add a rotating hitch, but I think I will be good. I will do the measurements once we decide which 5er to get. I just want to make sure what I want before i sign, I don't want some RV salesman telling me what I want.
I have a f250 short with a anderson hitch pulling a 30 rts fifth wheel with no problem. And the hitch is no problem getting out . Only thing you need safety chains not a big thing. And it work great lots of turning range and it clears the bed rails. I have had it for several years and we’ll I love it. Take a real look at it you might like it
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #45
zachbon

I purchased a slider not just based on turning radius but also to access my spare tire compartment. Without a slider hitch, I could not access my spare tire compartment. The slider hitch provided me another 12 inches... enough to open my compartment and retrieve my spare tire. Happened on my last trip. Valve stem leaking, had to put spare tire on. A little off topic but may be something to consider.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #46
falcondan95705

Had A 2017 ram megacab. Anderson hitch. Trailer met truck. No support from Anderson. GET A slider and forget it..Dont need a crane to remove. Leave hitch connected to king pin. Remove pins and raise trailer. Now you have the bed..
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #47
PauliWalnuts

Yea not really interested in the Anderson or any lightweight hitch that only connects at the gooseball. I want something that connects to the factory pucks. I realize many do it all the time without issues, I just think having 4 connection points is better than 1.

As far as getting a slider and using the camper to pull it out I have a couple issues with that. Not meant to disparage others who may be doing it as I have heard that suggested from multiple sources. First the pin box is not designed to have 200+ lbs hanging off of it, and if you take it off you still have to get it detatched. Secondly people complain about backing up to get the goose ball connected that would probably be even more difficult.

Personally what is best for me is to get the factory pucks installed and get a BW Companion that connects to those and mount the adapter in the most rearward holes. I can then take it out in two pieces. IF I have a problem then I will get a rotating pin box, but I doubt I will based on the max turn technology. Just my .02 and YMMV
PauliWalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s beginning to look like you’ve about made up your mind.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #49
LERD

Quote:
Yea not really interested in the Anderson or any lightweight hitch that only connects at the gooseball. I want something that connects to the factory pucks. I realize many do it all the time without issues, I just think having 4 connection points is better than 1.

As far as getting a slider and using the camper to pull it out I have a couple issues with that. Not meant to disparage others who may be doing it as I have heard that suggested from multiple sources. First the pin box is not designed to have 200+ lbs hanging off of it, and if you take it off you still have to get it detatched. Secondly people complain about backing up to get the goose ball connected that would probably be even more difficult.

Personally what is best for me is to get the factory pucks installed and get a BW Companion that connects to those and mount the adapter in the most rearward holes. I can then take it out in two pieces. IF I have a problem then I will get a rotating pin box, but I doubt I will based on the max turn technology. Just my .02 and YMMV
I know you've made up your mind about forgoing a slider. But you might give Pullrite standard hitches a look. I currently have a Pullrite slider #3100 which is a nut-busting 350lbs. I love it, and I hate it. But what I really love about this hitch, is the locking pin mechanism. When you're backing in to hitch up, you get a very loud answer. A solid banging noise letting you KNOW you're locked in. When I upgrade my TV, I'm going to sell off that slider in a heartbeat. But I will get another Pullrite, just for that locking feature.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #50
falcondan95705

Quote:

If that PIN BOX wont support 200lbs, it sure wont tow a 12000 lb trailer...I had a sb MEGA CAB... bed is 6' 4 ".. Not even 6.5 feet... With the Anderson at a 88 90 degree they did meet.. I have no Idea where Anderson gets off showing a 90 with a 5 foot bed...
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #51
Camping family

Quote:

I have the pull rite hitch and have the puck system in my truck. I purchased a engine hoist from harbor freight. With that I can pull the pins on the hitch and hook a strap to the hitch and lift it out the truck with the hoist and move it to wherever I want since the hoist is on wheels.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed