Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #1
HouseMouse

Awning Help.

out working on the Laredo... Wife noticed that the left side of the Awning is coming out of the slot that holds the awning to the trailer. It's not sliding out rather than it's pulling straight out foreward iike.

is the fix just to wedge the awning back into the slot and Crimp the slot tight to the awning to hold it?

Testing the Refrigerator at the moment. Gas came right on and fired right up. Electric side... guess there is no compressor in these things. Put a thermometer in the box to see if it's cooling or not. Way to quiet for me.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Mine did that. The gimp just pulled out of one end about 15" or so. Upon inspection the slit had become enlarged enough for the gimp to pull out and it was very visible up close. I had to open the slot a bit so I could force the gimp back in properly then re-crimp the awning rail slot so it would keep it in. That was last year and so far it's done fine. I think the wind in our part of the country, and the flopping of the awning that brings, caused it to work out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mine did that. The gimp just pulled out of one end about 15" or so. Upon inspection the slit had become enlarged enough for the gimp to pull out and it was very visible up close. I had to open the slot a bit so I could force the gimp back in properly then re-crimp the awning rail slot so it would keep it in. That was last year and so far it's done fine. I think the wind in our part of the country, and the flopping of the awning that brings, caused it to work out.
Awesome! Something simple for once.

Other Matters: Gas on refer works fine. Took some time and understanding on how the Electric side works.... And, it works fine. Love this Forum!

Fix Awning next few days.... To hot past 1100Hrs daily now.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
out working on the Laredo... Wife noticed that the left side of the Awning is coming out of the slot that holds the awning to the trailer. It's not sliding out rather than it's pulling straight out foreward iike.

is the fix just to wedge the awning back into the slot and Crimp the slot tight to the awning to hold it?

Testing the Refrigerator at the moment. Gas came right on and fired right up. Electric side... guess there is no compressor in these things. Put a thermometer in the box to see if it's cooling or not. Way to quiet for me.
Absorption fridges have no moving parts in the cooling section if there's no fan. The heat from a gas flame or electric heating element heat up ammonia turning it to gas which rises thru the tubing and condensing back into a liquid. It will take several hours depending on ambient temps to bring down the temps inside the fridge.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Absorption fridges have no moving parts in the cooling section if there's no fan. The heat from a gas flame or electric heating element heat up ammonia turning it to gas which rises thru the tubing and condensing back into a liquid. It will take several hours depending on ambient temps to bring down the temps inside the fridge.
We put a Thermometer in the Frig and waited One Hour. Got down to 72 from 90F. I would say it works. Yup, found the Hot Tube!
Old 08-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
We put a Thermometer in the Frig and waited One Hour. Got down to 72 from 90F. I would say it works. Yup, found the Hot Tube!
Sounds about right. I use a cordless fridge thermometer (acurite) that I bought about 10 years ago. It has 2 sensors and you can check min and max temps. It works real well and if I run the fridge for a day or two in the storage lot I can tell if it got to warm while unattended.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #7
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
update: Worked like a charm. Pinched the other end that "Seemed" to be ok. Just wanted some Reassurance. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Excellent! Hopefully that will take care of it and you won't have further issues.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning