Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
jxnbbl

Changing an inverter/charger to be just an inverter

Would like some input/thoughts on this. I bought a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 instead of a Freedom 2000 (this is an inverter/charger). At the time, there was a lead-time problem for just the inverter and it was basically the same price...what could be so bad about it?

Well there is one major problem, you can't 'turn off' the charger part of this. For most trailer installs this is not necessary since you have a converter to charge the batteries. In my case, I have plenty of solar wattage that does the job. At first I was worried about 3 sources of "recharging"...which does not seem to be a problem.

The problem is that even when it is on float charge/no charge mode every 30 minutes or so (depending on temps) the cooling fan goes on. This is not a problem if it was located in another part of the trailer...but it is under the bed!

I can turn this off, by flipping the 'inverter circuit breaker' - but that is a problem since it shuts down the outlets.

Some were telling me to just change out the converter to the inverter/charger...that won't work due to the battery cable requirements for the inverter portion of the device and the distance to the power cabinet.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1. remove the AC to the inverter/converter bypassing the transfer switch.
2. installing a standalone transfer switch that has two inputs - the AC line from the trailer power and the output of the inverter.
3. in this configuration, to the inverter it is the same as "no AC" and it will only invert if the battery cable disconnect is ON, the power switch is ON and the internal transfer switch senses no AC.

Best part is that it will never go into 'charge mode'.

Any input, thoughts, concerns?

thanks
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter