Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #21
Mikendebbie

Jsb5717 came up with some gems! I could not find the year model on the Chevy 3500 but I think it was a 2012 or 2013. Both trucks look like good choices. The only thing missing is that new truck smell that you get for $80k.

Go to the diesel resource page provided by bsmith0404 and read up on the problem areas for the engines in those trucks! These guys should be charging for shopping assistance! Good on you for coming here and asking the question before you bought!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #22
bsmith0404

I think the Duramax is between 2009 and 2011. Looks just like the 2011 I had. One thing I noticed is it doesn’t have the corner steps on the rear bumper. I think those started in 2012. I always wished I had them and almost changed the rear bumper to get them. Now I have them on my 2019…..live them. Much better than that stupid step and handle combo in the Ford tailgate. Not trying to upset Ford guys, but that thing is more of a pain than it’s worth. I can just grab the corner stake pocket and step up, don’t have to deal with flipping anything out and getting the handle up and then reversing it all to put it away just to grab something out of the bed of the truck real quick.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #23
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I think the Duramax is between 2009 and 2011.
The GM is actually listed as a 2008. A little older but low miles for the year.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The GM is actually listed as a 2008. A little older but low miles for the year.
I see it now. LMM as well. I’d add a FASS system to it, other than that it’s pretty much good to go. I always add Mag Hytec trans pan and diff covers as well along with Amsoil or Transynd tranny fluid. Definitely low miles and on a pre DEF truck. I wouldn’t mind having that one.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #25
Fish-a-Palooza

I know the OP is doing his research and has already decided to pass, but just to chime in. I didn't do any research and just assumed the best selling truck wouldn't have any major issues. I bought a used 2003 F250 with the 6.0L which was it's 1st year. It was also the last year for the 7.3L. The only issue with my 6.0L was the variable vane turbo which I believe was in it's 1st year as well. There was a fix on you tube where you remove and split the turbo, clean the friction plate and coat it anti-seize. I did the fix and drove it for 10 years without it ever giving me another problem. Most anything can be fixed after you get it right!

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:22 PM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-a-Palooza View Post
I know the OP is doing his research and has already decided to pass, but just to chime in. I didn't do any research and just assumed the best selling truck wouldn't have any major issues. I bought a used 2003 F250 with the 6.0L which was it's 1st year. It was also the last year for the 7.3L. The only issue with my 6.0L was the variable vane turbo which I believe was in it's 1st year as well. There was a fix on you tube where you remove and split the turbo, clean the friction plate and coat it anti-seize. I did the fix and drove it for 10 years without it ever giving me another problem. Most anything can be fixed after you get it right!
You didn’t just go with the best selling truck thing as justification for Ford being a quality vehicle did you? It’s all Ford marketing and taking advantage of the fact that GM sales are split between Chevy and GMC. Most years, GM outsells Ford, there’s been a couple where Ford sold more, but it’s typically very close between the two.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #27
Fish-a-Palooza

Yes, I did. I always thought during those years that GM had crap fit and finish. I also didn't like the fact that GM never fixed the intake plenum coolant leak on the 5.7L. Had I not gone with Ford I would have went with Dodge. In fact Dodge was my 1st choice but the salesman decided to play games.

2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:57 PM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-a-Palooza View Post
Yes, I did. I always thought during those years that GM had crap fit and finish. I also didn't like the fact that GM never fixed the intake plenum coolant leak on the 5.7L. Had I not gone with Ford I would have went with Dodge. In fact Dodge was my 1st choice but the salesman decided to play games.
Guess you got lucky and avoided the death wobble.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:44 PM   #29
Fish-a-Palooza

And like I said; Most anything can be fixed. LOL

Old 07-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

I get a laugh at the brand bashing. Also get a chuckle over the "revisionist history" that some folks proffer in supporting thier choices. I don't know of a single auto mfg that didn't go thru trials and tribulations before getting to today's version. I don't think there's a whole heck of a lot of difference in "the big threes" trucks. Anyone remember GM's first diesel offering? The gas engine they converted? Not exactly a sucess. Or back when Dodge transmissions were the weakest link, or (pick a brand) rust buckets after a few years?

As for advertising, yeah folks are regularly talking about this commercial or that commercial. It's up the buyer how much credence they put in that. Most popular or best selling? I think of the old saying "eat crap ( you know the word), 10,000 flys can't be wrong". But please, carry on, I just refilled my mug of coffee.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #31
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I get a laugh at the brand bashing. Also get a chuckle over the "revisionist history" that some folks proffer in supporting thier choices. I don't know of a single auto mfg that didn't go thru trials and tribulations before getting to today's version. I don't think there's a whole heck of a lot of difference in "the big threes" trucks. Anyone remember GM's first diesel offering? The gas engine they converted? Not exactly a sucess. Or back when Dodge transmissions were the weakest link, or (pick a brand) rust buckets after a few years?

As for advertising, yeah folks are regularly talking about this commercial or that commercial. It's up the buyer how much credence they put in that. Most popular or best selling? I think of the old saying "eat crap ( you know the word), 10,000 flys can't be wrong". But please, carry on, I just refilled my mug of coffee.
Note the same people always knock Fords. The "death wobble"? Every heavy duty truck, especially with a heavy diesel engine can have front suspension components wear and need to be replaced.

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:11 AM   #32
jsb5717

I agree that all of the top 3 have come through the trial and error stage and all now seem to produce powerful, reasonably reliable options. If I were in the market today I would seriously consider any one of them.

Seems like Ford gets picked on because their screw-ups are more recent than the others. Rather than further build on/develop a sound 7.3 platform they went off the rails for a few years. Too bad, too, since the 7.3 was so successful, giving Ford a real following.

GM went through their screw-up years in the 90's but have come through it with a good platform.

RAM (Dodge) started the diesel pickup craze. Their biggest problems were more around cosmetic fit and finish, which they vastly improved in 2010. Their trannys have given them some heartache as well. But their engines have been fairly consistent.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #33
jfk69

I too laugh at the brand bashing. The Ford “death wobble”? LMAO. 1/10000 of 1% have had it, but it’s systemic with the brand. Lol. The Ram “rust buckets”? LMAO. Maybe in 2005. The lousy fit and finish on GM/Chevy? LMAO. Maybe in 2005ish. They all make good trucks, issues are vetted and corrected. Pick what you like and go, they’ll all serve you very well and all will have a dud rolled in there. It’s a fact of tolerances on supplier provided parts.

Ultimately, just like rv’s, those that have had an issue will bitch the longest and loudest, and it gets magnified via the internet and social media. Rarely do happy owners post much, they just use them and enjoy them.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #34
MikeGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

I had the Ford 7.3 diesel. It ran like a top even when I sold it with 220K miles on it. If I were looking to buy a truck today under $30k I'd feel better with a higher mile RAM or GM over a Ford 6.0 or 6.4, even though they will often need a tranny before 200K. Still cheaper than a new engine.
Get a Ram with the AISIN transmission, keep up with your maintenance, don't treat it like a race truck and it'll last damn near forever. Its a true medium duty transmission.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #35
MikeGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So I was a Ford MOCO Zealot for 42 years until time for a diesel came about. Late 2010 was looking to replace our 89 F250 460 auto as we were getting back into RVing and it wasn’t doing the job of towing our 9,000# 5er.
Well long story short, bought a used 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with 5 sped manual. It only had 234,000 miles on it. Did the job Gerry well, only non maintenance cost was a new clutch when I added a small chip and slipped the clutch.
That's literally the only downside to the G56, add even a little bit extra power and you'll slip the clutch. Good thing is a solid single or twin disk is inexpensive and the trans will be bulletproof.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:28 AM   #36
bsmith0404

Actually the death wobble was with Ram. That’s why i stated the person didn’t have to deal with the Ram death wobble, he almost bought a 2003 Ram, but got a Ford 6.0 instead. Ram has had numerous recalls over the years due to front end and steering problems. It was so bad that Dodge was forced by the NHTSA to do a buy back program in 2013. It supposedly affected 2003-2008 2500 trucks, but there have been reports and recalls that affected other years as well.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

The infamous " death wobble". It was all the YouTube rage several years ago. Was Ford more prone to it or was it because there were more Ford HD trucks on the road? I don't know but I do know that it happened to my truck. The mechanic I used said it was worn steering component. IIRC it was the drag link. Anyway it was replaced and no more issues.

I'm not defending nor chastising any HD truck and can only truthfully relate my experiences. But on the subject of experiences just consider this, if you're talking to a 30 something year old mechanic about a 15 yr old truck then they likely will not have much first hand experience with it. By the time they work on it it's likely been used and abused to he'll and back.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #38
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
I too laugh at the brand bashing. The Ford “death wobble”? LMAO. 1/10000 of 1% have had it, but it’s systemic with the brand. Lol. The Ram “rust buckets”? LMAO. Maybe in 2005. The lousy fit and finish on GM/Chevy? LMAO. Maybe in 2005ish. They all make good trucks, issues are vetted and corrected. Pick what you like and go, they’ll all serve you very well and all will have a dud rolled in there. It’s a fact of tolerances on supplier provided parts.

Ultimately, just like rv’s, those that have had an issue will bitch the longest and loudest, and it gets magnified via the internet and social media. Rarely do happy owners post much, they just use them and enjoy them.
Well both Ford and Ram have had issues with Death Wobble.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #39
bsmith0404

They all have issues, yes. A unique issue that only effects a very small percentage of owners isn’t a big deal unless you are one of those owners. Anytime you have something that becomes a trend that starts to become common among many owners, that’s something to avoid. Obviously as the number of people with the same problem increases, your odds of having that same problem also increases. That’s why so many people avoid the 6.0 Ford, or 1st Gen Duramax (injector problems that are a bear to change), or a Ram with a transmission, jk. I personally would not want to take a chance that the used truck I’m buying is being sold because the previous owner had one of those well known typical problems. Yes any used (or new) vehicle can have problems, but why compound your chances of getting a model/year that is known for certain EXPENSIVE or difficult to correct problems?
Old 07-25-2022, 02:50 AM   #40
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Go with a 6.7 if you can. You'll be happier in the long run. They're proving to be as reliable as the old 7.3 was, and the 6.7's have loads of power. The Ford diesel techs that I know (I worked at a Ford dealer after I retired from law enforcement) used to own 7.3's but they skipped over the 6.0's and 6.4's and went with the 6.7's after they had been out a couple of years and showed they were up to the task.

You'll hear many comments from people who own any of these three diesels but when you see what the guys who work on them drive, to me, that speaks volumes.
I spent most of my adult life working for Ford ( lead frame tech / shop foreman ) when I worked on other people's nice new stuff I drove an 84 ranger rotted from the ground to my waist I took a union steel worker job in 2010 now I own a home drive a nice truck and pull a 10 yr old camper with the 10 yr old truck

Point is mechanics drive what we can afford

I still let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy them 10 yrs old under 100k miles
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote