Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #21
LHaven

I almost never stay at KOAs because we typically travel to a town to enjoy the town and not so much hang around the campground. That having been said, when we took an 8yo on his first trailering trip we chose a KOA on Route 66 in Williams simply because it was a glorified playground. Go karts, mini-golf, jungle gyms, riding train, and recumbent bike rentals, with ziplining and two zoo-parks nearby. They also held daily kid activities, or would have except for COVID. So in that case, it was specifically because we needed a special experience for a birthday boy.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #22
Mikelff

I have stayed at lots of KOA parks and they are all different. The KOA resort by Glacier National Park was absolutely beautiful, with two pools, one for families and one adult only. Lots of kids but not any issues as all the kids activities were mostly away from the camping area. I mostly stay at the KOA’ that I know, and that have good sites with room. Much of my camping revolves around the grandkids so I do look for those amenities. You just have to do your research. I have stayed at other parks with similar results. Some I would go back to, some were just terrible. When going on a trip with just an overnight stay, most of the KOA off the highway were fine for that, and convenient to getting on and off the highway. I do read the reviews and check them out on Google Earth. If it’s an area where I will want to stay for a few days, I do my homework on the parks in the area. The choice may or may not be a KOA. I start by checking out the KOA first, then check the other parks in the area, and go from there. Their frequent stay points have come in handy with some free stays but always try for the best park in the area for our needs, which are different depending on if the grandkids are with us, or not. Going to be at the KOA In Galveston, TX in two weeks. Great park! Concrete sites with patio’s with lots of room, on the beach, away from the city but only 20 minute drive to the city. I would camp there with or without the kids. South Padre Island KOA is another nice park. The KOA’s are all over the board, some are horrible, some are great. Have to do your homework.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #23
David49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyk View Post
wow looked like a elementary school yard . Lots of kids running around. Not a quiet camping experience for sure. I got two kids and two grandkids but we were over whelmed. We are thinking on going in October when school is back in session. Are they pretty much all like that? Summer may not be the time. I will check out national forest I have Veterans preference pass.
We recently stayed at at the KOA campground in Coleman, Texas on our way to and from New Mexico and will definitely go back. Friendly management, clean facilities and only noise was the traffic on the adjacent highway. Sounds like you got a bummer but don't use it to judge KOA.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #24
wegone

We like KOA and have stayed in more than 12 different locations.

The thing I like best is that I pretty much know I am going to get a pretty good maintained and ran campground.

You could live in a million-dollar neighborhood, and still have a lousy neighbor, it just happens, but what I find is that "most" of the folks who would cause such issues, go to cheaper campgrounds.

I'll gladly pay extra to stay out of their neighborhood
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #25
mco65

KOAs are kind of pot luck. Some good, some great, some so so.

We stayed at a KOA this past Thanksgiving week in mid Tenn. It was quiet as all get out. probably due to the time of year!
Old 12-13-2022, 04:43 AM   #26
spicercars

I'm not sure how people afford to stay at KOA.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Even with their membership they're still typically the highest priced parks. But that said most find that they are usually nice parks with activities, some privately owned parks can be a crap shoot & state/national are just a parking spot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:11 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
We used them in ‘09 for our cross country trip. Prices weren’t bad, and I was able to make reservations on-line the day before so I was assured a space to spend the night.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #29
CedarCreekWoody

Count me among those that finds the quality varies considerably but the price is almost always on the high end. I rarely consider KOA to be my best option.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

KOA are a roll of the dice. Many are old, small sites, poor maintenance and some are really nice. Price can be high but not nearly as high as Jellystone Campgrounds or a lot of other camping "resorts" out there. Out here in the NE EVERY cg is crazy expensive if you compare it to campgrounds west of the Appalachian mountians.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #31
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyk View Post
wow looked like a elementary school yard . Lots of kids running around. Not a quiet camping experience for sure. I got two kids and two grandkids but we were over whelmed. We are thinking on going in October when school is back in session. Are they pretty much all like that? Summer may not be the time. I will check out national forest I have Veterans preference pass.
Why don't you check-out some of the military RV parks in CA. As a retiree you qualify to stay at any of them.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=us+mil...292c1f90015951
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground