Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
LHaven

Increase faucet friction

I have a pretty common valve in my shower (image). The valve handles are so free wheeling that it's impossible to keep a constant temperature in the shower. You brush them, the hose brushes them, they'll happily spin one way or the other and burn or freeze you.

What's a good way to add some friction to these faucet handles? I was considering putting a compression spring in back of them, but it seems to be a meat-axe approach that would almost certainly cause further problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D52B97C8-2B3D-4ECA-9EB0-C8AF5A9336D1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	40819  
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure on that faucet but there should be a packing nut that you can tighten after you remove the handles.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
bobbecky

Most newer faucets use O-rings in the cartridges that can be replaced easily. I would remove the handles, see if the cartridge can be removed and take it to a Lowes or Home Depot or other store with replacement parts. That would fix the issue, but if parts are not available, replacing the faucet is a next option. You might even be able to disassemble the cartridge to just replace the O-rings.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You could remove it and try to tighten them up from the back. I had the same problem on my last trailer. They weren't "floppy" loose but still would move when bumped. It had the neo angled shower and after studying on it a bit I decided the placement in the shower compared to the shape of the shower pretty much assured it was going to get bumped. I replaced with a single lever shower faucet and although a seemingly small change it reduced the number of unintentional "bumps" a lot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Most OEM shower faucets are either Phoenix "junk" or Valterra "junk" plastic faucets with non-replaceable valve stems. When they fail, replace the entire faucet, not the valve stems. As an example, Delta valve stems are around $10 each, the entire replacement Valterra shower faucet is $16.95 on Amazon....

In the photo, there are two screws visible on the mounting plate. There are also 2 more on the bottom of that mounting plate. Pull the 4 screws, pry the sealant loose and pull the mount away from the shower wall. It will come out "just barely enough to access the plastic cone connectors on the faucet. Loosen the connectors, the mounting plate and faucet will then be free.

Replace the faucet with "your choice of standard 4" shower diverter faucets" (make sure you have the correct adapters or use another RV style faucet with the same connectors for the plumbing) clean up the old sealant, reattach the hot/cold water lines, apply a new bead of sealant and reinstall the 4 screws....

Why attach the water lines before putting the new bead of sealant on the shower wall ????? Sealant is difficult to get out of the hair on your forearm from connecting the water lines.... If you've got "fat arms like me" then you're guaranteed to smear the sealant trying to attach the water lines.... BTDT way too many times.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quick Faucet Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I have a pretty common valve in my shower (image). The valve handles are so free wheeling that it's impossible to keep a constant temperature in the shower. You brush them, the hose brushes them, they'll happily spin one way or the other and burn or freeze you.

What's a good way to add some friction to these faucet handles? I was considering putting a compression spring in back of them, but it seems to be a meat-axe approach that would almost certainly cause further problems.
Dang if I wouldn't just lay a wet washrag across the back half of both of the valves to act as a brake. Quick, simple and FREE!
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Dang if I wouldn't just lay a wet washrag across the back half of both of the valves to act as a brake. Quick, simple and FREE!
This is especially funny, because in fact there is a wet wash rag there almost all the time, and it makes no difference whatsoever.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Faucet needs replacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This is especially funny, because in fact there is a wet wash rag there almost all the time, and it makes no difference whatsoever.
That is funny. Might be time to do the replacement that others mentioned. Good luck with it.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #9
LHaven

I finally got a round tuit today, and made the trip to Ace. As far as innovative parts go, and a staff that knows what to recommend and where they keep it, our Ace is hard to stump.

Got a thinnish bronze thrust washer with a large hole, a smaller copper one, and a couple wide, weakish springs. Had to drill out the copper one just a scosh. Ended up using one spring, cut in half, when the assembly bottomed out with the valve still not closed. (Don't do this test with the shower head pointed out the open shower door, like I did!)

DW is very happy with the resulting friction. And I think the copper parts give the shower stall a bit of steampunk class!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	41315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	41316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	57