Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
wegone

Question about hosting.....

My wife has this, er..... great idea about possibly hosting a campground in the future.

Was wondering if anybody here has done it and might share their experience?

I know the state campgrounds have lots of opportunities, and we have seen private ones too.

It's not a money making job, all volunteer, you just get free hook-up, etc....

Anybody can share their thoughts too
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
roadglide

I have thought becoming a camp host it’s not so much about the time involved . I really don’t want to be committed to a park for 3 months . I think Oregon state park right on the pacific would be interesting until there was a mighty storm and I have to drag up. I would look into COE parks where the fishing and motorcycle riding was prime .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I’ve thought about it as well, but don’t really want the commitment to be at one park. Also not sure I want to be committed to being available certain hours (want to be able to go enjoy the area a bit) or cleaning the bathrooms daily. Interested to hear what others with experience actually say about it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
dutchmensport

In Indiana and North Carolina, you have to fill out a state form and then the state form is submitted to each state park you are interested in hosting. There is NOT a central repository for all the state parks to draw from. You send the paper work to each one you volunteer for. You name goes on a list. They call your references, some do background checks (Indiana does), and with the Covid "thing", some states require negative Covid test results or fully immunized vaccines (North Carolina).

I have a host position in North Carolina I was approved for, for the month of August this year (2022), so looking forward to it (provided I can pay for the fuel to get there now, from Indiana).

I've talked to a lot of hosts and a lot of state park managers. The managers are the final approval person, so some state park managers kind of have their favorites the use multiple times, and over multiple years. So, breaking-in is difficult. I'm from Indiana and haven't been able to get a position yet. North Carolina was needed help real bad earlier this year, scheduling for the remainder of the year. I think that's how I got in on this one.

As far as the actual "work" required from the host, each position at each campground is different what is required. At State Parks, the host does not clean bathrooms as usually a volunteer DNR person does that. They also have volunteers for mowing grass, helping around the park grounds, and a bunch of other positions. Again, each one is determined and filled by the campground manager.

In North Carolina, my responsibilities will be to sell fire wood, post reservation stickers at the campsites, clean up fire pits and make sure fires are out when folks leave, pick up trash around the campsites when people leave, and report any riff-raff going on. I no way is there any requirement to confront disputes, arguments, or fights. Those type of things get reported to the office and the DNR will come out and handle it. In other words, the host is a friend to everyone and there to pass on information and answer questions about the park and surrounding area (for example, where are the grocery stores and propane fill ups).

The one I'm doing in August is my first gig. They wanted me for all of July and August, but I had too many other commitments going on in July, so just doing August only. I'm hoping it goes well, and they'll want me back next year.

What you need to do is get a list of where you would like to host, then get on their web site and find out who the contact is, fill out the application, and send it to them. See what happens. Good luck!

Edit: I've not looked into private campground positions very much. The few I checked into had too many responsibility requirements and most of them were a paid position, in addition to the no-cost campsite. It was more work involved than I wanted to do. KOA makes you pay to get on their list (no thanks).
Old 06-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I have thought becoming a camp host it’s not so much about the time involved . I really don’t want to be committed to a park for 3 months . I think Oregon state park right on the pacific would be interesting until there was a mighty storm and I have to drag up. I would look into COE parks where the fishing and motorcycle riding was prime .
Don’t have to commit for three months. In Oregon as little as one month, all kinds and sizes of state parks, small day use parks, large (500+ sites) parks like Ft. Stevens.
Most storms with real high winds happen in winter, even at that not many need to leave. We once moved about 50 yards to higher ground in a costal park where we were about 50’ from the beach. There was a series of King Tides and we thought the site might flood. It was no issue, water never entered the site.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:43 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
My wife has this, er..... great idea about possibly hosting a campground in the future.

Was wondering if anybody here has done it and might share their experience?

I know the state campgrounds have lots of opportunities, and we have seen private ones too.

It's not a money making job, all volunteer, you just get free hook-up, etc....

Anybody can share their thoughts too
Will you live in a great location to find opportunities at hosting! Both Washington and Oregon have great hosting programs and many great parks to host at.
Check both states parks WEB sites and look for volunteers tab.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Eddie, depending on "you", and how you're turned it might be fun as heck or a real pain in the tail.

I've talked to folks that managed COE, state, national forest and private parks. Some love it and some wouldn't go back for a 2nd shot. I think a lot probably depends on where you go, your duties and how the place fits with what you like. We thought we might want to do that at one time but never did. Beyond free parking space and utilities I never asked about compensation. Some folks didn't have to deal with reservations, cleaning bath houses or deal with unruly tenants, others did. Just check them out and see what fits you and your family.

As far as where you are and having to bug out in the event of bad weather...it can happen. Especially in hurricane country. A tornado you never have much warning and usually none. A hurricane gives you warning and you can pull out. Doesn't happen too often but do know a friend that manages a park that had to a few years ago so just be prepared for something like that but I wouldn't put it the top of my list for considerations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #8
wegone

Thanks for all of your replies, appreciated!

My wife and I are people persons and love chit chat.
We love the environment and appreciate the opportunity it brings to others to experience the "great outdoors" and all it has to offer through its beauty and lessons... so pre-INTERNET and social media disillusion

I think it could possibly work in the future when we sell our present home, it's too big and too much for me to really handle the older I get.

If I wasn't tied to it, I'd have so much more freedom, and money is not an issue, its paid off, and has almost multiplied 6x since we bought it 2 decades ago on Whidbey Island, crazy.

We still have income streams above our needs, we are blessed as such, so it really would allow us to be of "service" to others, which brings us self-satisfaction and just a good feeling to life itself....

Leaving for Yellowstone in AM, gotta finish up the loose ends, and OH, take out a loan on my house to pay for gas

Be well all, happy camping!
Old 06-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Just don’t become one of “those” guys. I recently delivered an RV to a campground for a guy. The host came out and was telling me how to back it in. The site angled to one side, he wanted me to back in from the side away from the angle, so greater than a 90degree cut to back it in. It also put a tree on the side of the truck opposite of the campsite and a car port blind side to me. I didn’t listen to him and went from the direction I felt comfortable, backed it in perfectly on first attempt. I think I upset him, because then it all really started. I stopped the trailer where he wanted it and unhooked. Then he comes and tells me he wants it moved forward about 3 ‘. After that, he decides he doesn’t want it as close to the power stub as I was and I had to shift it over another foot. When I was finally ready to leave, I started towards the entrance which was about 30 yards in front of me. He comes running over telling me that’s a one way road. Keep in mind this is an RV park with at most 5 campers in it and 40 empty spaces. I didn’t argue with him, I turned around and went all the way around the empty circle to come to the exit which was out the same entrance. The area where the entrance and exit roads merged was literally about 25’ in front of where I was initially. As I drove away, I was thinking to myself, I wonder why there are so many empty spaces in such a nice RV park……..

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 06-10-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Just don’t become one of “those” guys. I recently delivered an RV to a campground for a guy. The host came out and was telling me how to back it in. The site angled to one side, he wanted me to back in from the side away from the angle, so greater than a 90degree cut to back it in. It also put a tree on the side of the truck opposite of the campsite and a car port blind side to me. I didn’t listen to him and went from the direction I felt comfortable, backed it in perfectly on first attempt. I think I upset him, because then it all really started. I stopped the trailer where he wanted it and unhooked. Then he comes and tells me he wants it moved forward about 3 ‘. After that, he decides he doesn’t want it as close to the power stub as I was and I had to shift it over another foot. When I was finally ready to leave, I started towards the entrance which was about 30 yards in front of me. He comes running over telling me that’s a one way road. Keep in mind this is an RV park with at most 5 campers in it and 40 empty spaces. I didn’t argue with him, I turned around and went all the way around the empty circle to come to the exit which was out the same entrance. The area where the entrance and exit roads merged was literally about 25’ in front of where I was initially. As I drove away, I was thinking to myself, I wonder why there are so many empty spaces in such a nice RV park……..
Gee Brent.....did you use the proper pronoun?

Not my nature, and I would venture to say most folks who choose such a position in life, its not their either....

Maybe you just found the one bad apple in that bushel?

I get a lot of helpers too when backing into some camp spots....

I just try and let them feel important, useful, and not sway my game plan that I already staked out to getting her parked.

I got the pedal and the wheel, its my truck and my trailer, I have control of my life....

OK, not counting my wife's dictates, I do anyways

Next time try something like this: "I found I wasn't getting enough brand in my diet....ever since I make certain I do now, life is easier."

Leave them scratching their heads

Edit: See you retired after 25 years of service Brent....thank you Sir!
Old 06-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Just don’t become one of “those” guys. I recently delivered an RV to a campground for a guy. The host came out and was telling me how to back it in. ....

Sorry, I read this and I just have to comment. For my hosting position I'm doing in August in North Carolina, I did not say where that will be. OK, I'll spill the beans: Pilot Mountain State Park.

What's so unusual about this campground? Well, there is only one RV, full hook-up, site in the campground. And that is the campground host site.

All the other sites in the campground are for tent campers! No electricity and only a couple running water spigots in the campground. A modern shower/bath house/restroom facility and every site is clearly marked with raised platforms where the tents are to be placed. If anyone has a small camper, like a tear drop, a Scamp, or a Casita, you'll fit the space with no problem. Anything bigger, and it will never fit.

It should prove to be an interesting experience! It's been a long-long time since we tent camped. I might have forgotten how! But if asked, I'll sure help anyone as best as i can if they need help.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
bsmith0404

I’m sure I used a couple proper pronouns and probably invented a few new ones. I try not to say to much when I’m moving a trailer for someone else, I don’t want what I do or say to be held against them.

I’ve had a lot of experiences with camp hosts trying to back me me in. On another occasion I was moving a travel trailer for someone and the camp host had me back and forth 3 times saying turn your wheel right, now left, go ahead and come back more this way or that way. Finally, I just got out and asked him, where do you want the trailer. After he explained it, I pulled forward, and backed it in perfectly in one shot. He said, “wow, that was easy. I should have just let you do it from the start.”

When I’m hooked up to my own RV, I just tell them to let me know if there’s anything they’re concerned about at the site, other than that, I’ll take care of the backing and put it where I want it.

Yes, 25 years in the Air Force, your welcome and thank you.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sorry, I read this and I just have to comment. For my hosting position I'm doing in August in North Carolina, I did not say where that will be. OK, I'll spill the beans: Pilot Mountain State Park.

What's so unusual about this campground? Well, there is only one RV, full hook-up, site in the campground. And that is the campground host site.

All the other sites in the campground are for tent campers! No electricity and only a couple running water spigots in the campground. A modern shower/bath house/restroom facility and every site is clearly marked with raised platforms where the tents are to be placed. If anyone has a small camper, like a tear drop, a Scamp, or a Casita, you'll fit the space with no problem. Anything bigger, and it will never fit.

It should prove to be an interesting experience! It's been a long-long time since we tent camped. I might have forgotten how! But if asked, I'll sure help anyone as best as i can if they need help.

Knew a fella that hosted at a place like that in a NF campground on the way to our mountain home. Had known him since I was a teen. He did it for many years and loved it. The campground there was like you describe (no raised tent platforms) and he said it went really smooth with the exception of some holiday weekends when a larger group might come in, get drunk and get loud. There all he had to do was call the sheriff's office but he said that was less than a handfull of times in many years (maybe 10?) of hosting from May until late Oct. Sounds like fun actually. They had a large propane tank for the host and actually brought in firewood and stacked about a cord at a time for him. Even had a 2nd site plumbed for a "helper" and the last few years they would let 2 come in and work the campground.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:03 AM   #14
JJnLilly

We Volunteered

For twelve years after retirement we volunteered in state parks in both Florida and Texas. Great experiences and thoroughly enjoyed our time. Our main thing was in the maintenance area where we did a lot of painting and trail work. In exchange for 20-30 hours a week we got a free site. Many in Florida did not have sewer but we managed.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote