Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #1
SJBrooks

A/C problem

I've been a long-time reader, but VERY infrequent poster, on this forum. This is because my 2012 model 302 camper has been very reliable until this w/e.

Every two weeks, I crank up the generator and run the two a/c units. I did so again this w/e when the outside temp was 103 and inside my shop/camper storage building it was 98. The camper inside temp was 90. After running for approx 10 mins, no issues were noted. Upon shutdown, I heard a hissing from the rear unit. After taking off the plastic cover, I found "air" escaping from a very small nipple/bump on the line that runs from the condenser to the accumulator/receiver dryer. The front unit has this same very small bump/nipple on the same line.

I'm a strong mechanic, but admittedly not a solid a/c guy. I'd very greatly appreciate anybody telling me what has caused this issue and any suggestions for repair. Thanks in advance for the help!

Steve
Old 07-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like the factory fill portal failed. it could have failed for a number of reasons, a stuck valve, exceedingly high head pressure from a blocked capillary tube, etc. The RV air conditioners are considered non repairable. Replacement is the norm as it's cheaper to replace the unit than it is to spend the labor to diagnose, tear apart, and repair them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
jsb5717

I'm not an AC expert either, but it sounds to me like the AC just lost it's coolant. If that's the case there is no reasonable repair. I suppose it's possible to seal that leak and cut into the line to insert the connecter to recharge the AC. But, typically, the AC's on our RV's are disposable. Once they lose their juice, you replace them.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
SJBrooks

To be clear about the event: the bump/nipple on the mentioned line is not a normal Schrader valve-type nor any other kind of fill port. It really is just a VERY small bump/protrusion on the line, just big enough to snag your fingernail on. It is colored the same as the line and seems made of the same material (copper).

Anybody else have any further thoughts on a potential fix?

Steve
Old 07-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
Bustinbeards

If your system discharged the Freon you are looking at replacing the whole unit on the roof.