Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
Queen_n_her_goat

Sway Bar Add

I have a Reese Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch on my 2018 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins. Towing my Cougar Half Ton Camper is no issue. I did run into some serious straight line winds in New Mexico that initiated the pucker factor with some unexpected movement. Question here is if I add a Reese or Curt Hitch Stabilizer will that possibly ease that factor with future wind run ins? Or is it a redundant add with my current hitch?
Queen_n_her_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have any sway control now? If not adding the friction sway control would help. The only real drawback is getting the right amount of friction to reduce sway yet still allow the trailer to follow you in a turn.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If you have the Reese Round Bar hitch I'm thinking of it does not have sway control. That trailer is over 27' long (Cougar 27RES) and weighs 8800lbs. gvw. That big of a trailer can take a 3/4 ton for a ride.

I believe your shank has holes on either side of the ball for a sway control attachment (1 on each side). I've owned them and they don't do much for sway but the do present a lot of problems. Personally I would buy an Equalizer w/4 point sway. At the very least buy those 2 friction plates. Any sway addition will not be redundant as that hitch does not come with any sway control.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:52 AM   #4
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you have the Reese Round Bar hitch I'm thinking of it does not have sway control. That trailer is over 27' long (Cougar 27RES) and weighs 8800lbs. gvw. That big of a trailer can take a 3/4 ton for a ride.

I believe your shank has holes on either side of the ball for a sway control attachment (1 on each side). I've owned them and they don't do much for sway but the do present a lot of problems. Personally I would buy an Equalizer w/4 point sway. At the very least buy those 2 friction plates. Any sway addition will not be redundant as that hitch does not come with any sway control.
Agreed. I had a HF wdh and added2 sway controls. They helped but not much and they were supposed to be removed when backing up (oops). Replaced with E4 a year ago. Well worth the investment. Much better sway control. I would definitely do it again.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_n_her_goat View Post
I have a Reese Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch on my 2018 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins. Towing my Cougar Half Ton Camper is no issue. I did run into some serious straight line winds in New Mexico that initiated the pucker factor with some unexpected movement. Question here is if I add a Reese or Curt Hitch Stabilizer will that possibly ease that factor with future wind run ins? Or is it a redundant add with my current hitch?
Reese has a kit to upgrade your round bar weight distribution hitch to a Dual cam sway control hitch. It's not cheep, but its less than a new hitch, it will perform much better than a friction setup.

https://www.reeseprod.com/product/26...ntrol-dual-cam

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
bsmith0404

I’m still having trouble believing you had winds in New Mexico, this must be a joke. Yes I’m being sarcastic. I’ve lived there 12 years now and this year has been the worst.

As already said, the friction add on sway control is better than nothing, but that’s about all they’re better than. An E4 is a great hitch, I prefer the blue ox sway pro, either one would be a huge improvement.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I’m still having trouble believing you had winds in New Mexico, this must be a joke. Yes I’m being sarcastic. I’ve lived there 12 years now and this year has been the worst.

As already said, the friction add on sway control is better than nothing, but that’s about all they’re better than. An E4 is a great hitch, I prefer the blue ox sway pro, either one would be a huge improvement.

I would never tow my trailer across SE NM or W TX without a top notch wdh/sway control. The little add on "sway controls", which I have used, are little more than nothing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:14 AM   #8
{tpc}

Interestingly enough on my previous trailer I had friction sway bars on both sides and they worked great! But the trailer was also only 5000 lbs loaded so that may also have had something to do with it.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I've used both friction add on and intregal wdh sway control. The friction one was with a pop up and no weight distribution. Then moved on and bought a 21' hybrid and had round bar Reese with same friction bar. I wasn't impressed with the friction bar on a larger trailer. Next trailer was a 29' FR Surveyor and I bought the round bars with straight line sway control. What a difference. Only issue I had was the hitch head holes for the bars egged out in less than 2 years. Reese replaced it NC thru the dealer but after about 2 years the replacement started to do the same thing.

Forward to current trailer and I went with the Reese Straight Line hitches with trunion bars. Works great, of course moving up to a 3/4 ton truck was a must IMO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote