Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
ArmyMutt

Need to upgrade the gas strut under bed

I replaced the king bed in my travel trailer with an 85lb mattress. The gas strut under the bed is a Master Lift ML34-80. The lid slams shut on me everytime I open it. With little kids in here, it's a danger. I'm thinking a 100lb strut will do the trick, but wanted to make sure before I buy it. The bed only has a single strut. Should I go to 110lb? I don't know how much the original mattress weighed, but it wasn't much.
ArmyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

IMO with a mattress that weighs that much (yes, OE are junk) you should install a 2nd strut on the other side. Eventually the stress of the strut pushing that much weight up from one side with a flimsy plywood panel is going to either pull the strut out or break something else. Observe how the existing side is braced and repeat on the other side. I buy struts from these guys;

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Gas-Struts-s/56.htm

You could get the length and strength from your existing one but if you double them then you would want the lighten the poundage on each one. You do not say what size your bed is but ours is a res queen that's about 15" high and weighs....a lot. I've changed out the struts twice getting to where I like the way it operates. It's not here but I believe they are both 100lb. struts. I like it to "lift" and hold (particularly DW), be a little hard to push down but stay down when it is closed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
ArmyMutt

I thought about adding another to the other side. The current setup has a piece of scrap that is about 3/4 the width of a 2x4 running the full length of the lid. Maybe adding a second 80lb one to that side? The bed is a king - 70x80. I want it to hold as well. Right now, I'm applying maybe 10-20lb of force to keep it up.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

With it being a king I would absolutely put another brace on the other side. That's just too big (wide) IMO to repeatedly stress and it not fail - it will. I have what I call 2x3 bracing on mine as well. IIRC one strip runs across the width of the plywood platform and one comes up each bottom side and the struts mount to both of them. If you leave only one strut when it lets go that platform will crash down....not good for you, DW or the kids.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

You don't have a signature or give any information on the age of your trailer. No way of knowing if it's previously owned (original strut?) or if it could have been replaced by a previous owner. I would absolutly add a second strut. I'd lean towards matching the strut that's there if you can determine its age and condition.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #6
ArmyMutt

It's a 2022 Sunset Trail. I'm the first owner- bought it in March. The shock is a Master Lift. Not sure why they would only use 1.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You don't have to worry about the brand just the length and weight. I will say that trying to get mine exactly like I wanted I now have 4 spare shocks laying around. First set was just a bit too light and the bed would creep about 3-4" down and stop. Didn't like that so went up 2 lb. ratings then it was too stout and almost had to have both of us yanking on it to get it to come down. The 3rd attempt was "juuuust right" as Goldilocks would say.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:03 AM   #8
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
I replaced the king bed in my travel trailer with an 85lb mattress. The gas strut under the bed is a Master Lift ML34-80. The lid slams shut on me everytime I open it. With little kids in here, it's a danger. I'm thinking a 100lb strut will do the trick, but wanted to make sure before I buy it. The bed only has a single strut. Should I go to 110lb? I don't know how much the original mattress weighed, but it wasn't much.
We have a heavy hybrid queen foam mattress plus metal springs. It's heavy. I used the below from Amazon and can raise or lower ours with one hand. So can my 9 yar old son. Works beautifully. As suggested, we have one srut on each side. If you look on Amazon at the reviews for this product, my review is the second one (Jason Weldon). Good luck.

Hatchlift Products RV Bedlift Kit - Small – Compartments 24” – 30” https://a.co/d/16L8yWW
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, gas, upgrade