Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 06:13 AM   #1
Rocketsled

Factor of Safety: Receiver

The 3/4 ton truck had a 2700lb hitch installed to pull the Toy Hauler. (Installed by the RV dealership) Using a Better Weigh doodad, I never saw more than 1750 on the tongue for the trailer loaded the way we run, 1450 when the trailer's fully empty...I've never seen anything close to 2000 lbs.

The 1 ton we picked up this weekend has a 2000lb Class 5 hitch.

Naturally, it's all modern and swoopy and the old receiver can't be transferred to the new truck.

Also reading between the lines, there's a hitch in Etrailer for a Sierra that didn't come with a hitch...I suspect because the hitch supports the bumper, the aftermarket hitch doesn't appear to have the bolt holes needed to support the bumper. I assume there'd be a bracket that our truck doesn't have....because the bumper bolts to the receiver.

Factory receiver is attached for clarity.

I guess the question is: 250 lbs of safety net GREATLY simplifies things, but I'm not opposed to buying more safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4271.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	40470  
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I don’t believe the bumper supports are actually part of the hitch. I think they just share the same bolts for the brackets. You can always send etrailer an email asking them, they usually respond within a day. However, I don’t think you need anything heavier than what is in the truck.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
Rocketsled

That was my gut instinct. The 1750 weight was with a trail bike, kayaks, food, 4 peoples gear and 100 gallons of water. If/when we take the big bike, I’ll have empty tanks and fewer people and less stuff. I really don’t see the tongue weight getting any heavier (oh, and I dropped two 6v batteries off the nose for LiFEPO4)
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote