Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
mneill

Water Pressure Regulator

I have seen some old posts concerning the use of water pressure regulators. In fact on my first trip I ran into a local who gave me as a "house warming gift" a pressure regulator. So I hooked it up, went in to the faucets and shower and all I was getting was a trickle. Same has been true on my past 4 trips to campgrounds. The regulator is rated 40-50 #'s, which is what previous posts have suggested. I have wound up disconnecting the reg on each trip. Any ideas on why it is affecting my pressure in that way or will it depend on each site I visit?
2010 Sprinter 318 FLS
mneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Ron

regulator

Hello Mneill: what i do is carry a pressure gague with me and at every campsite we stay in of course the water pressure is going to vary. Any site over 60 psi then i use my regulator. Even with high water pressure and the use of the regulator it will restrict the flow to the trailer quite abit. If you look inside the end of the regulator there is not much of a hole for the water to pass through and also internal parts of the regulator also slows the volume down. You still get the pressure that the regulator will put out but not alot of volume. If you don't seem to have a problem without the regulator then this is probably the answer, hopes this helps. Happy Campin............Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Bob Landry

My first regulator was a Camco, purchased in WalMart's RV section. After a few uses it totally shut off water to the trailer. I have since sprung for a Watts regulator(not cheap, but good). I adjusted it for 50# and it gets connected to the spigot via a splitter that has a utility hose attached for geneal washing and black tank flush. No problems with it so far, and, BTW, it doesn't have to be adjusted every time you hook up. Also, I don't notice a reduction in water flow with the watts. It's a qualiy piece of gear.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
mneill

Regulator

Bob and Ron, Hey thanks for the feedback on my regulator questions. The regulator I got as a "house warming" is used and also a Camco so sure sounds familiar. The use of the pressure guage is a super idea, never thought of it. Again thanks for the feedback and helping my camping experiences more enjoyable.
Happy Camping
Mark
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
chuck&gail

Have personally stayed at two different campgrounds over the years where it was simple to tell, in the morning, who didn't have a pressure regulator installed. They were the ones screaming, because water was coming out of their RV walls, and running out the doors. In BOTH cases water pressure was fine most always, but sometimes peaked after midnight. Note checking pressure on arrival would NOT have helped.

Also campgrounds were NOT liable for any damage, per previous court cases, per owners. One place even warned everyone upion arrival.

Your choice, I NEVER connect my TT to city water without a regulator. You have been warned.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I use the Camco too but just ordered the Watts 263A with an attached guage from rvwaterfilterstore.com. I agree on the risk of not going with a regulator or using a pressure gauge. What if you test when the sprinklers are running or two washers are running? Pressure might be below 50 at that time but increase later. I was just at a campground that had low pressure until they discovered a rupture in a line (I reported a "spring" that didn't seem normal). They fixed and the pressure went waaaaay up. Any campers that didn't have their regulator installed would have gotten a big surprise!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
mneill

Pressure Regulator

Advice well recieved. Thanks for the feedback and links.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
hankaye

mneill, Howdy;

Occured to me that maybe you were 'gifted' with a bad regulator cuz he had replaced his and couldn't stand the thought of throwing the old one away.

just sayin' .......

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
KanTC

When we went from tent camping to our first travel trailer, a long-time RV'er & elder friend offered some good advice. He said, "Always use a water pressure regulator", and "Never leave your RV with the city water supply valve open/on".

Over the years, we've heard (& read) stories of those who've left the water on and come back to an RV filled with water due to a water line break, etc. Granted, on occasion, we do forget (& leave it on) but typically turn off the spigot if we're leaving the campsite. Yes, it's a bit of an inconvenience, but... not nearly as much as a flooded trailer would be.

Nothing written in stone, just another tidbit to pass along.

And, as a side note -- we always carry 2 regulators -- if traveling, and over-nighting along the way, a 2nd (inexpensive) regulator will come in very handy should you leave/loose the 1st one. Yeah... we did that!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
albertr

Water Pressure Regulator

How can I tell if my water pressure regulator is working properly? Just got back from a trip and had three different leaks-not on the compression fittings but on the 1/2 donut rubber ones with the black nuts & ribs for tightening. Can those gaskets be bought seperately? Thanks for your help...Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote