Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Getn off

AC help needed asap!

Hey guys.
I have a 2018 Sprinter Limited that I keep plugged in (30a) at home in FL. I keep the AC on auto set to 80 just to keep dehumidified really. Last week we had a power interruption for about 10 mins then came back on. Didnt think anything of it until I went into the RV about 5 days later and noticed ac not cooling at all! Fan was blowing. Turned it off and let cool. Turned back on and only fan comes on. I figured a bad run capacitor. I did notice a bit of oil(?) at the base of the condenser. I replaced the capacitor to no avail. Tested with vom and appears to work, as old did. When I turn the AC on, the fan runs and the compressor gets super hot- cant touch it. Cant honestly tell if it is running... I feel vibration, but could just be from the fan next to it.
I pulled the cover completely off and checked the control box. Unplugged and reset it. Tapped the relays. All seems ok, no burned areas or funky smells. Had wife turn on again and I hear a relay when it is turned on, but again no compressor.
My gut says the compressor went tango uniform. Seem legit? Should I replace the board at $60, or just bite the bullet and drop $700 (shipped) for a whole new coleman mach 15?
Nothing obvious in the board, and the compressor does have some “leakage.”
Second question... does the new coleman mach 15 come with a new control box assy?
Need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for the help.
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20F8C2CE-D6C9-4B88-A5FF-D5DE88087D74.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	26631  
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
travelin texans

Can't answer the AC question, but have one to ask.
Do you have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable, connected to your shore power. If not you should to help protect from this type of issue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #3
bobbecky

We lost an A/C while within our first year, and it also blew out the Freon system. No idea why this happened, but Dometic honored their two year warranty and paid to replace it. If you are within the warranty period of two years, you might get it replaced free, otherwise, you are probably on your own and will need to get it replaced. I wouldn’t spend another penny on the unit if you found compressor oil.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:35 AM   #4
Getn off

Yea, have a good surge protector, not sure why it still failed. Of course, I am just guessing i
That is what did it because of the timing.
That is my thought with the fluid at the base. Hate to waste any more money.
It is a coleman, 1.5 years old. Do I need to contact Coleman, or Camping World where I bought the rv?
Troy
Old 04-19-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Getn off

Also, I never filled out a registration card. Does that void the warranty? I have been searching, and find both answers.
Anyone with past experience that didn't send in the card?
Troy
Old 04-19-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
ChuckS

Your post indicates you replaced RUN cap... if it doesn’t have a start capacitor then most likely the compressor is locked up..

But verify first that your unit doesn’t have a start cap... if it does have then replace that cap

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
Getn off

From what I understand, there are 2 possibilities, one with a start relay and one with a computer thingy! I have no start relay. I assume the computer box is the other option. In this box, there are 2 small relays, and 1 larger one that looks like the compressor relay. I can hear it click, so assume it is working.
Do u happen to have a pic of a start cap? Cant find any info online for this. Was hoping that was it honestly.
The fluid at the base scares me.
I am going to call a coleman tech tomorrow and ask about warr work. If not, I will just drop $700 bones on a whole new unit. A bit disappointed with 1.5 years life span.
I am used to airplanes and boats, so I am not expecting the moon with RVing, but jeez... this is kinda ridiculous! Too many big ticket items during the first year (luckily).
Still wouldnt trade it for hotels! Enjoy the relaxing times still way more than the headaches!!!
Troy
Old 04-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Camping World "usually" documents the warranty on components as a part of the "sales/finance" function during the buying process. That said, they may have missed/skipped your paperwork for any number of reasons, all of which would sound "reasonable to them" but probably not to the buyer...

CW has the "paper trail" to prove to Coleman when the trailer was first put in service, which is when the warranty began. There "should be no issue" with the warranty. That said, CW or another Coleman authorized repair service would be the first logical step in a warranty replacement.

There is a document that needs to be completed before Coleman will process the replacement. Dometic has that document online, I don't think Coleman does. It requires the starting/running amps, compressor temperature (I think) and a couple of other measurements to be reported as well as the physical condition and reason for failure of the unit.

If you're near your dealer, call them about the replacement, if you're near another CW facility, they "usually, in normal times" work together to take care of customers. That said, if you're nowhere close to a CW, you might check the Coleman website for a listing of "authorized repair facilities" near you. Contact one of them for advice.

Bottom line, if there is a mechanical failure that occurred during the 2 year warranty time frame AND it isn't directly attributed to an excluded condition (in the warranty) then at 15 months of ownership, you should be covered. Your initial bill of sale for the trailer is (should be) enough to prove when the warranty started. Coleman is not "overly difficult" to work with, but if their CS department is "COVID Closed" then it may not be as fast as you'd like.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
Getn off

Really appreciate the help John, and others!
This group is great.
Troy
Old 04-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
Getn off

Update.
Been looking for a Coleman/Airxcel service people around me. 1 is 6 miles but wont return call. Called 3 others that are out of biz. Talked to 2 others that say they wont travel to me...25 miles.
Called Coleman and asked them for advise. He told me they usually prefer to work with a service guy vs retail, but may make an exception since I cant get anyone to come over. He wanted a pic of the moisture to confirm a leak, and talk to his mgr. he will get back to me soon.
Hopes are higher than they were yesterday anyway!
Troy
Old 04-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
skids

If I am not mistaken, I had a Jayco with a Coleman Mach and I think it had a combined start/run capacitor.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming you bought the trailer 1.5 years ago new. If so, you should have the purchase papers which should work as proof of purchase of a new unit. I think Coleman has a 2 year warranty and I would contact them. Leaking oil is a situation you should not let go. If you do as soon as that 2 years is up you can bet the AC will go belly up and you will be on the hook for sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #13
Getn off

Yea, bought it Sept ‘18 new. I did talk to Coleman and waiting to hear back. It sounds like they should cover it.
Troy
Old 04-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

If you have surge protector and not an EMS I suggest getting the EMS. They protect a lot more than a straight surge protector. One of the benefits is a time delay (typ 2 min) that can prevent issues with "high head pressure".. When the compressor stops the refrigerant stops flowing and the pressure increases on both the suction and the output lines. If the compressor tries to immediately start again the compressor can "lock up" causing mechanical damage or the windings to burn up from over amperage caused by the excessive load.

An EMS will also protect the rv from over or under voltage (which causes a high amperage draw).
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #15
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you have surge protector and not an EMS I suggest getting the EMS. They protect a lot more than a straight surge protector. One of the benefits is a time delay (typ 2 min) that can prevent issues with "high head pressure".. When the compressor stops the refrigerant stops flowing and the pressure increases on both the suction and the output lines. If the compressor tries to immediately start again the compressor can "lock up" causing mechanical damage or the windings to burn up from over amperage caused by the excessive load.

An EMS will also protect the rv from over or under voltage (which causes a high amperage draw).
Yep, do have an EMS. I am just guessing that power interruption is the cause. Timing is too perfect.
Troy
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #16
AJFoyt

A/C Fails

Have 2017 Raptor and lost back toy hauler A/C was freezing up middle of 2018. Never filled out warranty card. Local repair center had me send pics of the unit and a warranty card from 1 of my 3 units. They came and looked. Colman Mach unit all covered. They brought over a lift and had it changed in 30 minutes and back working. I noticed Keystone had not sealed the cavity in between the roof and ceiling so it was pulling in very hot roof air to cool. Sealed this with Aluminum tape. The changeout is very easy to do IF you have a lift. 2 person job. Colman was pretty responsive and it took about a week. Past history with these units (Platnium 4 horse gooseneck 14 ft short wall 2007 was that the units usually last ~10 years. Good luck!
AJFoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #17
Getn off

Thanks AJ. I am still waiting to hear back. The rep did call me back and said he is still waiting for approval, but did agree the pics look like a bad compressor.
Not sure if he will have better luck with a service tech, or just ship it to me and let me do it.
Troy
Old 04-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Hey guys.
I have a 2018 Sprinter Limited that I keep plugged in (30a) at home in FL. I keep the AC on auto set to 80 just to keep dehumidified really. Last week we had a power interruption for about 10 mins then came back on. Didnt think anything of it until I went into the RV about 5 days later and noticed ac not cooling at all! Fan was blowing. Turned it off and let cool. Turned back on and only fan comes on. I figured a bad run capacitor. I did notice a bit of oil(?) at the base of the condenser. I replaced the capacitor to no avail. Tested with vom and appears to work, as old did. When I turn the AC on, the fan runs and the compressor gets super hot- cant touch it. Cant honestly tell if it is running... I feel vibration, but could just be from the fan next to it.
I pulled the cover completely off and checked the control box. Unplugged and reset it. Tapped the relays. All seems ok, no burned areas or funky smells. Had wife turn on again and I hear a relay when it is turned on, but again no compressor.
My gut says the compressor went tango uniform. Seem legit? Should I replace the board at $60, or just bite the bullet and drop $700 (shipped) for a whole new coleman mach 15?
Nothing obvious in the board, and the compressor does have some “leakage.”
Second question... does the new coleman mach 15 come with a new control box assy?
Need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for the help.
Troy
Having a proper EMS like Progressive helps protect against this kind of problem. It even has delayed start so any compressor in the rig doesn't recycle too fast duriga quick off and on. I have the Progressive but will replace it with a Power Watch Dog from Hughes so I get all the information on my phone.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Yea, have a good surge protector, not sure why it still failed. Of course, I am just guessing i
That is what did it because of the timing.
That is my thought with the fluid at the base. Hate to waste any more money.
It is a coleman, 1.5 years old. Do I need to contact Coleman, or Camping World where I bought the rv?
Troy
You need more than a surge protector, get a full EMS
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
Getn off

Yes, I do have a Progressive EMS.