Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
gregrc75

Longer door window?

Hi,
I have searched this forum and elsewhere on the internet and I cannot find anyone who has replaced their door window with a longer one. My two labs like to lay by the door and I wanted to replace the normal sized window with one that extends closer to the bottom of the door, similar to the Open Range RV's. The dogs are not permitted on the furniture so that leaves them with no place to look out when they are inside. I have already replaced my door window with the Edwin RV window replacement but was thinking of making the opening larger and installing one of these. (see photo attached).
Does anyone have any advice, input, or experience?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	28831   Click image for larger version

Name:	nf20.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	28832  

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

My only thought would be that it would weaken the door. Trailer doors aren't much to begin with and a window of that size without proper bracing might be an issue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You might consider a lexan screen overlay for your screen door.... That would provide a "full view" with the main door open and the screen acting like a "full view storm door". It wouldn't help when you're away and the trailer is locked, but it would provide them with a "room with a view" when you're at the trailer.

I would be hesitant to cut much of the main entry door away. There's almost no "substance" to hold it together as it is, cutting away a major portion of the aluminum skin/fiberglass overlay, may not leave you with enough structure to hold together through the first "slam to close it"...

Have you contacted the manufacturer with specifics on your door to ask their opinion of modifying what you current have??? They may (or may not) recommend cutting a hole that large in specific brand/style/size doors... I'm sure that they would have much more "experience" in failures/successes with their product than most anyone else....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might consider a lexan screen overlay for your screen door.... That would provide a "full view" with the main door open and the screen acting like a "full view storm door". It wouldn't help when you're away and the trailer is locked, but it would provide them with a "room with a view" when you're at the trailer.

I would be hesitant to cut much of the main entry door away. There's almost no "substance" to hold it together as it is, cutting away a major portion of the aluminum skin/fiberglass overlay, may not leave you with enough structure to hold together through the first "slam to close it"...

Have you contacted the manufacturer with specifics on your door to ask their opinion of modifying what you current have??? They may (or may not) recommend cutting a hole that large in specific brand/style/size doors... I'm sure that they would have much more "experience" in failures/successes with their product than most anyone else....
I have actually done the mod with the lexan. It works great and I actually use it all summer - I can keep the A/C on and the main door open.
But like you said, this is for when it is colder weather or other times we cant leave the main door open.

I have not contacted the manufacturer, but, that s a good idea. I was afraid the door might be flimsy but I have seen the Open Range doors - perhaps they added structure in the door.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 07-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post

I was afraid the door might be flimsy but I have seen the Open Range doors - perhaps they added structure in the door.
There are a number of RV door manufacturers. Some are much MUCH more robustly constructed with welded aluminum frames and reinforced structure, some are much MUCH lighter in weight and in strength, some are much MUCH more durable and some are "pieces of lightweight styrofoam with a cheap fiberglass skin over a "bent into position light aluminum frame"....

What's on your trailer??? I don't know, but I'll guarantee you that it's the "least expensive, competitive product that Keystone could contract in the quantities they projected to use during that fiscal year... In other words, the "cheapest they could find"....

I'd suggest getting the manufacturer/model number off of the door data plate and asking the window manufacturer about that door and their window.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

My last truck camper door had a normal window and another the same size in the lower half. My lab lied on floor also and looked out through the clear glass. Current TLR he enjoys the view only with door open and a clear panel over bottom half of screen door.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
gregrc75

Thank you all for your replies. I did email the manufacturer but have not heard back yet. I discovered it’s a Challenger Door 950. It looks like the Open Range with the larger windows are the 975.
I will wait a bit longer to hear back.
I also thought of placing a second window down low and leave some of the door intact in between but I thought a larger single window would look better.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
KRumm

Rather than one long window just add a second standard size window that is low to floor...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRRNQNP...v_ov_lig_dp_it
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Rather than one long window just add a second standard size window that is low to floor...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRRNQNP...v_ov_lig_dp_it
That was my original thought before the long window. I might rethink doing this instead.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 08-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I would suggest if you do add a second window to leave a sizeable space in between to ensure enough door remains where the door handle is. If you "piggyback" the windows and have no "meat" across the door where the latch is I can imagine a major issue if anyone would give the door a good pull when it's locked or if they don't completely unlatch it. To say nothing of someone slamming the door shut or leaning on it with any weight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote