Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I guess everyone has their rights... But make no mistake your generator is creating noise pollution and your neighbors are not sitting in their RV thinking that guy has one of those quiet generators and is nice enough to only keep it on for a few hours...
Actually, that’s exactly what I think when I’m camped near someone with a generator.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I guess everyone has their rights... But make no mistake your generator is creating noise pollution and your neighbors are not sitting in their RV thinking that guy has one of those quiet generators and is nice enough to only keep it on for a few hours...
Not just the noise. The stink the generators put off can be just as offensive.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #23
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
GHen, I think it all boils down to common sense and being considerate of others. I've been in campgrounds where the idiot with the diesel pusher cranks the engine at 5 a.m. and let's it idle until he departs at 6. You can't fix stupid, it's everywhere.
I'm sure that some will be offended just because they can see my rig - even within a half mile - just spoiling their view. I think Marshall has it exactly right in his post.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 AM   #24
notanlines

Let me drive one more nail in this coffin...it's just like poking a stick through the fence at a barking dog..in our happy hour group in Florida we have a couple that whine continuously about our RV park permanent resident who starts his motorcycle at 4:30 every morning to go to work. (Yes, his only means of transportation) Ironically, this is the same couple with THREE dogs barking sometimes non-stop in their RV. Lucky for DW and I they are in the first row and we're in the back row so we seldom hear them. You can't fix stupid!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #25
Hblick48

I don't want to date myself, but I think the younger generations who were raised with the "you are special" attitude only consider themselves. Don't have the ability to understand how their actions effect others.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #26
rodgebone

Thanks everyone for the input and advice - very much appreciated.

Bought the used twin Hondas mentioned (EU2000i and companion) both in pristine condition: 18 months old with less than 20 hours on the companion and less than 5 on the other - they might as well be brand new. their combined power is overkill for my needs aside from A/C but in the PNW its really not a factor. i'm happy to wear some heat here and there - its not Arizona afterall. Still, $350 more for a 2nd unit was money well spent to have a reserve/backup and I like redundancy.

I've decided the best way to go is to simply get out there and learn the curve along the way knowing my current overall setup will only give 7-9 days at a shot for one or two people. It was wrong to assume anyone could tell me exactly whats required for my individual needs - no one can tell you that. there will be miscalculations here and there but it's okay because that's how you truly learn, not from well intended conjecture and estimates.

Having a lot of redundancy means I can afford to experiment. despite supply failures over the months in all categories (bad sail switch in the furnace, bad bypass valve in the water pump and a blown thermal breaker on the water heater) there were always 2-3+ backups: twin 30 LPs, electric space heater, Buddy Heater, dual supply water heater and fridge, 60 gallon fresh tank (plus portables), 30 gallon black tank & 2-30 gallon grey tanks. worst case there is always extra layers of clothing/blankets and cooking on a campfire and water from nature. if i have to move once a week to dump and refill thats just fine. the LP should last much longer - last time i filled my tanks (actually just one tank) was 3 months ago during mid winter which is why i like the space heater - it paid for itself in two weeks & I rarely ran my LP furnace over the course of winter even with temps in the low 20s. maybe the LP cost versus the space heater is par overall but the hassle was much less than refilling every month. it will be a different story boondocking im sure.

after reading all the responses and advice here are my responses to my own questions...
Q1 - appears not to be an issue whatsoever.
Q2 - I said "I know i need an inverter". think I was wrong here as long as the generator(s) are running and not overloaded running too much at once...im thinking just run one gen for a few hours in the am to recharge the 6Vs AND/OR when the tv is on or the laptop/phone needs recharging. forget the air conditioner, microwave, coffee pot (i will miss you Keurig) and potentially my girlfriend's hair dryer - she doesnt live here but i just want to be kind when she tags along & if it makes her happy, im happy. and I wanna keep it that way
Am I right that a RUNNING 2000-3600 watt gen(s) plugged directly into my RV shoreline will still power my TV via the onboard converter without an extension cord from the gen or an inverter? thats the part i dont get. I'm guessing i would only need an inverter if ONLY running off my onboard 6Vs and NO external supply.
Q3 - its gonna take a learning curve to know the schedule for my needs. but i think a portable dump tank is unnessary for now and it looks like extra weight/space and a messy experience just for an extra 6-7 days of boondocking. my main concern was preserving a thorough black tank flush while boondocking but i dont see this happening except at a dump station. worst that can happen is i hafta leave a site a bit earlier than expected. its not the end of the world.

June 1 im done with this quarantine. I'm taking off to boondock in Oregon, Washington, California and Idaho for 5 months so will quickly find the answers I seek.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #27
Logan X

To answer your question about watching TV while running the generator. When your shore power cord is plugged into the generator, everything will work in your trailer just like if you were plugged into shore power. You do not need to run an extension cord from the generator to your TV. One of those Honda’s will power everything but the air conditioner. Both in parallel will power the AC. That (the 2 Honda’s) was an excellent purchase in my opinion.

There is no need to say goodbye to your Keurig. The generator will power that no problem. When you are plugged into the generator, all of the outlets will work.

You are correct when you say you only need an inverter to power 110v items using your batteries with no external power supply.

I think you are in the right track, you will figure out what you need and what works for you when you get more experience.

Happy camping on June 1st!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #28
Canonman

You got it Rodge! Enjoy your camping experiences. Don't sweat the small stuff. Above all stay safe and keep us posted.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #29
rodgebone

thanks guys! nice to know i got all the t's crossed and i's dotted. my Keurig and my girlfriend also thank you
Old 04-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #30
flrtrader

Most will not agree I'm sure, But if you buy a Honda, Yamaha or the like you are paying double so you can brag about having one. There are many other lesser name ones at half (Or Less) the price. But I also agree with the poster above mine as Solar is the only way to go if you don't want dirty looks when you walk outside. A generator should be used for emergency use or charging onboard batteries with solar. I have a Predator 3500 that is so close to a honda of the same size as far as noise and it does EVERYTHING I could want at 1/3 the cost. Put soft starts in your AC and even run both. on it.
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #31
kaydo36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
Generator(s) look like the simpler solution as opposed to an expensive solar setup in a region that is not always so sun friendly.
I hate to be the guy who answers a question you didn't ask, but if you want to start primarily boondocking, solar is the way to go.

I'm also a full-timer and always boondock in public lands. My solar system ran me about $3k, which includes 570W of panels, a 2000W Inverter/Charger, a 60A MPPT controller, and two 200Ah AGM batteries.

If you're the guy running a genny boondocking, you're the guy nobody wants there. You're loud and offensive to those trying to enjoy nature, not feel like they're parked behind a truck stop with idling semis.

When I started this life, a generator was on my shopping list for those 'just in case' scenarios and in case I needed to run my AC. I never made it around to purchasing one and I'm glad I didn't because I've never needed it. I barely monitor my battery levels anymore because they're always juiced up. I run my fridge, water heater and furnace with propane. Rarely use a microwave but not shy about it if needed. I've camped in freezing temps without issue. I've camped in triple digit heat, and although I'd kick on the AC if it were an option, I can manage a few days hanging outside in the shade when the trailer turns into a hotbox around late afternoon until the sun goes down. More often though, if a heat wave is coming, I simply go somewhere else. That's the joy of full-timing.

Go solar, bud. If you have neighbors, they'll appreciate your self-sufficiency. And you can listen to crickets and lapping water at night instead of the motorcycle you gassed up outside.
kaydo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
Logan X

Are all of you solar guys buying those HD solar powered trucks? And why are all of you camping so close to other people?
Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #33
LewisB

As Mike appropriately points out, there is apparently a vast array of definitions of "boon docking". For me, "boon docking" means I don't have any neighbors to get mad at me. If I have neighbors so close that they can "smell" or "hear" my generator, then I'm just camping, even if it is in an unimproved camping area. That doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean you have to agree.

What's important is that we all agree that each of us should be considerate to each other, have reasonable expectations for each other's behavior, and help each other out when we can. Others have just as much right to be in a location as we do. If you are dragging a big trailer around and expecting to camp in a pristine area of nature where you will not be disturbed by the presence of another camper, you're likely going to be disappointed.

Don't let it ruin your camping experience!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
I've learned a lot in 8 months of full timing but I'm still relatively new and want to do more boondocking to save on park rent and enjoy a more beautiful camping/living experience at BLMs or parks w/o hookups around the Pacific Northwest. My goal is to stay a week+ at a shot before resupplying and dumping before moving on.

Was going to buy a new Yamaha 2200 gen but now have an opportunity to buy a pair of near new (under 20 hours) Honda EU2000i generators ($1400 for the pair with cables/covers). Generator(s) look like the simpler solution as opposed to an expensive solar setup in a region that is not always so sun friendly. 650watt of solar panels pales against a more rigorous 3600 watt gen setup but which requires more attention daily. Its probably overkill having that much power as I'm not so concerned with running the A/C (although beneficial for a few weeks in summer). nor am i concerned about the microwave or coffee maker. But I do run a 1300watt electric space heater to save on propane and it would be nice to extend my lp supply while boondocking. Other than that i just want to run my TV and 120V outlets to charge my laptop and phone. And of course, charge my onboard 6V Trojans. The math suggests two generators will pay for themselves on BLM/dispersed in just 2 months vs rent in full hookup parks.

Q1: I'm assuming by using the shoreline connected to the generators that my twin 6V batteries will automatically charge the same as when connected to park supplied shore power via my 50amp cord and onboard converter. Also Im wondering if using 50-30amp pucks and dogbones will overheat with extended generator use on a daily basis. Resistance is though adaptors is a worry and I dont want anything melting down.

Q2: I know I need an inverter (500-1000watt best guess) tagged onto my onboard converter (6AWG to the batteries) to power up the TV/laptop/phone charger/space heater. I've noticed some people just use a small 300-500watt inverter for TVs and laptop chargers. maybe a big 1000W inverter is overkill?

Q3: I'm also wondering about buying a portable dump tank as I usually dump a 30 gal black tank every 6 days plus another 30 gal of grey at the same interval. Obviously while boondocking I will conserve better on supply and waste - I've been very liberal thus far but RV parks spoil a person. More trips to dump stations with a portable tank or dumping between locations is okay but im concerned about flushing my black tank while boondocking with limited water supply. I like to do a very thorough flush everytime I dump and that will NOT be possible boondocking. guess it will have to be done at extended sessions at dump stations if no one else is in line behind me.

I'm sure this has been asked many times on here and I've researched it extensively. But I want some feedback for my particular criteria versus a generic answer.

thanks in advance
You don't need an inverter, the generators are supplying you an almost 30amp service.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Are all of you solar guys buying those HD solar powered trucks? And why are all of you camping so close to other people?
When we were boaters we would anchor out at some of the islands and gunkholes. I would drop anchor hundreds of feet away from anyone. Invariably, some idiot would come anchor so close that I could only believe that I found bury treasure beneath the boat. That's when I would crank up the generator, turn on the air conditioning and crank up the stereo to "split eardrum" level. They usually took the hint and would leave. Maybe there's some folks like me that don't want to go "roughing it" in a 1/2 acre city park.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #36
Logan X

For the renewable energy, pure, unadulterated, boondocking experience...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64B92903-033E-41A1-BC85-8B27D7E63A21.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	27031  
Old 04-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #37
rodgebone

As far as brand choice of generator, I absolutely demand trouble free redundancy & that means the highest quality I could find which overwhelmingly is Honda or Yamaha as the well-proven solutions. I looked at many brands; at one point was going to get a new Predator. But as a full timer just moving back to the states after 17 years abroad in Australia and starting life over at 56 I absolutely insist on the most reliable, trouble free solutions available and as someone who doesn't need to work atm I had the extra luxury of time to research, research and do more research...As a mechanic, that came down to reputation (for me); I'm the kind of guy who, if i can afford it, always buys the best to limit trouble down the road and trouble is the LAST thing I personally need right now. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Predator or Champion and there are others I'm sure that are just as good Honda or Yam for much cheaper. To each his own - everyone has different circumstances, budget and requirements and mine is certainly unique (no better, but definitely not mainstream). In the end, I got lucky for what I felt was the most reliable unit out there; but what really sold me was the price: $1400 for two Hondas that are virtually brand new. The couple that sold them to me paid $2150 new 18 months ago & they have nary a scratch. So I basically got the quality and reputation for close to the same price as the cheaper priced units. And with that comes peace for my mind. But again, I would never fault anyone for going a different route.

As far as generators vs solar: for me it was simplicity. I didn't want the complex installation that comes with solar although I'm sure for many it's pretty straightforward. I also don't want to be climbing on the roof to keep the panels clean. Or the extra weight in my trailer which is probably over it's rated GVWR at this point <gulp>. But I have an extra calculated reserve for weight in my TV and that is where my gens will sit on the road or while in use. Otherwise they can sit inside the trailer while parked (for out of sight security). The other factor was price and power. I researched solar extensively and felt the gens were the cheaper, simpler solution. The power is similar and on-demand wherever I travel which is mostly in the cloudy, rainy PNW. I realize solar will produce even in cloudy weather but other factors simply outweighed that fact. Plus the price (for me) was less than half the price. Nothing wrong with solar, and again, everyone has different requirements, budget and circumstance. this was just the most plausible solution for my overall scenario but I understand my requirements don't fit everyone else's needs. As far as noise, I only plan to run one unit most of the time - I can only see the second unit getting used when the AC is running which I rarely use anyway. Or for redundancy if the first unit carcs it. So generally a few hours in the late morning to recharge or to power my TV and recharge my phone and laptop whichsee limited run time anyways...TVs are great & I love mine, but when dry camping in the past I didn't really watch much TV as I had a campfire and a beautiful view - my parents always said to me as a kid the campfire WAS our tv and that still rings true today. I also considered the noise factor and have no desire to be "that guy" but was VERY surprised at how quiet the Hondas were while running. The seller and I started both units at the same time, stood directly next to them and could still have a very liveable conversation without any strain. One unit well placed and run on a limited basis should not be a problem. And I prefer to camp away from others anyways (especially strangers) so I seriously doubt I will be annoying anyone. But again, I do understand the point being made and that was also a factor in my buying decision. At the very worst, if someone complained to me about running my generator I would be happy to simply turn it off. And if was an absolute requirement for the moment needed I'm sure most people would be reasonable to know I have no desire to run it for lengthy periods. I wouldn't want the extra noise either so I can sympathize with someone seeking the quiet of boondocking. But I don't see it being a major problem. I'm reasonable and I believe most people are reasonable with the proper approach. But again, I do see the point being made as far as noise goes.

Now, having said all this I will allow the fact that at some point down the road I may change my thinking. Life is full of changes and it pays to be flexible and open minded. But for now this is what I will start with & will just see how it goes. Circumstances constantly change and I'm very aware of that. But this is my starting point based on my personal experience for my own needs in the past. Some people I'm sure are going to view my response here to flrtrader & kaydo36 above as defensive (and btw guys, i can appreciate your viewpoints); it's fine, I take no offense - don't feel bad for being the guy who answered the question I didn't ask...afterall, its all pure information which is why I'm here in the first place. I'm simply offering my line of thinking in return for what I think suits me because at the end of the day the only person I need to justify it to is me and me alone. This thinking has served me well over the years in an industry where pay is based on QC and where customer satisfaction means everything. And as suchI make it rule to listen to others, take onboard their advice, opinions & conjecture and then come to my own conclusion (which in this case was decided well before I made my original post and my purchase). Point is, I feel it best to listen first to all sides and then act. I think society needs more of this in such divisive times. It's too bad our leaders and policy makers can't do the same - we would all be much better off if that was the case. Cheers
Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #38
notanlines

Kaydo,I have to ask: Where are you boondocking in Baltimore? Maybe out by Sparrows Point steel mill? Couple of spots out by Dundalk maybe?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #39
kaydo36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
No. I built and installed mine piece by piece.

And I try not to camp within sight of anyone else but sometimes folks post up close by. I assume they’re afraid to be alone at night.
kaydo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #40
Logan X

My point about the solar powered truck was you are probably driving a loud truck? Maybe a diesel? Don’t you think someone could be offended by the noise and smell your truck makes? Or is your truck electric and charged by solar...would you stop driving your truck if someone told you they were offended by it?

To all those who claim that solar is the only acceptable way to camp and using a generator is not acceptable-

Im really trying to keep my responses good natured, but I don’t appreciate being told how you think I should camp and somehow you know who is welcome at a campsite and who isn’t. Or you think it is ok to give other campers dirty looks if they camp differently than you.

I think it is widely accepted and practiced that RVers use generators. There are other camping options if you don’t want to “spoil your enjoyment of nature”.

Tags
boondocking, generator