Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #21
mikz86ta

Have you followed the wires from the Furrion plug to the battery/disturbution block/etc. and are certain Keystone actually connected the wires? Or even connected them polarity correct?

They don't always check before leaving factory accessories like that.
They don't always leave the factory with a battery from what I hear. Dealer PDI does some of that stuff.
And they don't always have their best genius hooking up stuff.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
meaz93*

I did discover that the wire/inline fuse from the Furrion Solar Outlet on my 2018 Keystone Outback had not been connected to the positive side of the battery.....it was pushed down in some wires coming off the frame by the battery box? Overlooked by either the Factory or Dealership....who knows.
In my case the Zamp Adapter Plug was faulty.
Got it replaced and all is good.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200414-092347_Facebook.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	26962
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I did discover that the wire/inline fuse from the Furrion Solar Outlet on my 2018 Keystone Outback had not been connected to the positive side of the battery.....it was pushed down in some wires coming off the frame by the battery box? Overlooked by either the Factory or Dealership....who knows.
In my case the Zamp Adapter Plug was faulty.
Got it replaced and all is good.Attachment 26962
I would suspect that it's a "wise and prudent" move by the factory and the dealership NOT to connect any wires to the battery that "serve no current (no pun intended) purpose and are not "connected to a live circuit"...

If, the "factory installed solar system" is "inactive until the trailer owner buys additional equipment to connect to the system" then connecting those wires to the battery would make "a disconnected plug with no function" a live part of a circuit that isn't used....

That's sort of like Ford or GM adding an extra wire to the positive terminal on your truck battery and putting electrical tape on the other end so nothing shorts out...

If the wiring isn't being used, it shouldn't be connected and carrying live power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 AM   #24
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would suspect that it's a "wise and prudent" move by the factory and the dealership NOT to connect any wires to the battery that "serve no current (no pun intended) purpose and are not "connected to a live circuit"...
Good point. BUT, either or both.....the dealer during PDI and demo, should be aware of this as a normal practice. Thus letting the new owner know that the wire is there and not connected & the reason why. The manufacturer should place a placard on a string in the RV near the control panel that states this fact and what you need to do make the circuit active. Car manufacturers place these on leather seats letting you know the quality of the leather you have, or a airbag notice hanging from the glovebox. And RV manufacturers already place stickers, clings and placards all over bragging about their features. So why not assist on something useful? Lol
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Good point. BUT, either or both.....the dealer during PDI and demo, should be aware of this as a normal practice. Thus letting the new owner know that the wire is there and not connected & the reason why. The manufacturer should place a placard on a string in the RV near the control panel that states this fact and what you need to do make the circuit active. Car manufacturers place these on leather seats letting you know the quality of the leather you have, or a airbag notice hanging from the glovebox. And RV manufacturers already place stickers, clings and placards all over bragging about their features. So why not assist on something useful? Lol
You do have a valid point. Maybe you should contact Keystone and suggest that they develop those decals and include the "teaching points" on the PDI recommendations....

Keep in mind that so far, most PDI orientations done by dealerships typically fail to provide the location of the dump valves, the water pump and the black tank anti-siphon valve... So, information overload and time allotted may have more to do with what's skipped than how important an owner may find any particular feature.

If Keystone and the dealerships "covered everything" it's likely we'd never have a "one day PDI/orientation" again.....

Honestly, for most people, decals and tags 'remain invisible"... I can't begin to count the number of owners who post, "Do I need a battery installed to operate my slides?" There's a 3"x3" RED decal located directly beside the slide switch that says, "WARNING, do not operate slides without a fully charged battery connected to the trailer wiring system".... Hmmmmm another "tag hanging in the way" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

How many people have read the tags/stickers on their pillows, mattresses, clothing, hair dryers, toasters, clothing irons, cell phone chargers, can opener, ........
Ya, thought so.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How many people have read the tags/stickers on their pillows, mattresses, clothing, hair dryers, toasters, clothing irons, cell phone chargers, can opener, ........
Ya, thought so.
The very FIRST thing I do when I uncoil a new extension cord is "vocally cuss the Guvment and manufacturer" as I cut off every damn one of those 15 metalized plastic tape tags that prevent my from using my "new extension cord" …

As for reading those tags??? Do they have words on them or "just the Approved by UL" label ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The very FIRST thing I do when I uncoil a new extension cord is "vocally cuss the Guvment and manufacturer" as I cut off every damn one of those 15 metalized plastic tape tags that prevent my from using my "new extension cord" …

As for reading those tags??? Do they have words on them or "just the Approved by UL" label ???
How would I know!?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar