Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

E-Bikes

Thought I would throw this out for some input.

We winter every year in a place that has miles and miles of beautiful paved paths going all over for walkers and bicyclists. This trip while we were there and on the return saw more and more folks with electric bicycles. DW has wanted to ride those paths but I'm not a big fan of getting on a bicycle and riding 20 miles then have to get back with my knees - they quit when they want to and that's the end of that. Then I saw these things.

Does anyone have any of these? I'm looking at 2 of them. Seems there are 3 classes and I'm looking at a class 3. Not really sure about them but the advertise 30-50 miles and in the test reviews they seemed to average about that. Just don't want to spend 1800 per bike and put them in the barn with the other, brand new, bicycles.

Also, if you have them how do you transport them? Looks like the weight is about 62-63lbs per bike. I was thinking out of the 2" receiver on the back of the trailer but that would have to be reinforced and I would then be forced to install a rear camera because I'm not putting that much stuff back there without being able to see it.....I've seen what happens to quite a few folks when they "can't see what's back there".

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. DW wants to ride those trails in the greatest way and I seem to be the roadblock so looking at possibilities.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
linux3

I ride a Hybrid bike and am looking at E-bikes too.
Way, way too many choices and options so I would also be interested in real world reviews.

Friends have Trek Verve+ bikes and I've test rode them. They are around 51 lbs each however the really heavy part is the battery so removing it makes putting the bikes on a rack much easier.

I've also tried an EcoTec Sportcool that was around $750.00 but it has a limited range and very cheap components.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
UKLimey

We have 2 Pedego Comfort Cruisers which we carry on a Thule rack in the factory installed hitch, The hitch is rated for 300 lbs so we are well under the weight limit.

Plus Thule rack has a threaded hitch pin which, when tightened and locked, eliminates bounce from play in the receiver.

We have traveled over a thousand miles with this setup and love it.

Pedego aren't cheap but for us they were worth it.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

We winter every year in a place that has miles and miles of beautiful paved paths going all over for walkers and bicyclists. This trip while we were there and on the return saw more and more folks with electric bicycles. DW has wanted to ride those paths but I'm not a big fan of getting on a bicycle and riding 20 miles then have to get back with my knees - they quit when they want to and that's the end of that. Then I saw these things.

Does anyone have any of these? I'm looking at 2 of them. Seems there are 3 classes and I'm looking at a class 3. Not really sure about them but the advertise 30-50 miles and in the test reviews they seemed to average about that. Just don't want to spend 1800 per bike and put them in the barn with the other, brand new, bicycles.

Also, if you have them how do you transport them? Looks like the weight is about 62-63lbs per bike. I was thinking out of the 2" receiver on the back of the trailer but that would have to be reinforced and I would then be forced to install a rear camera because I'm not putting that much stuff back there without being able to see it.....I've seen what happens to quite a few folks when they "can't see what's back there".

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. DW wants to ride those trails in the greatest way and I seem to be the roadblock so looking at possibilities.
This is what I’m eventually going with.. reasonable price on ebike and good reviews on YouTube.. you have to get a bike rack rated for ebikes because they are heavier AND you have to get a bike rack approved for back of fifth wheel.. the lectric ebike does fold up so may fit in basement storage ,back of pickup or in vestibule of fifth wheel if you didn’t want to get a hitch rack.
I already bent the arms of one rv approved swagman two arm hitch rack with cruiser bikes...the you tube channel “changing lanes” rv has a review and they fold up and put on back seat floor of f350... most all of the fifth wheel hitch racks that are any good are back ordered for months
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7664BA15-D77C-4D8F-8E08-EC81C081AE61.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	32926   Click image for larger version

Name:	5FC0DAF6-8394-4C01-8375-E196C587ABEE.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	32927  
Old 04-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
notanlines

I’m sure it will come as no surprise that you are going to get what you pay for. $750 isnt going to get you very far down the bike trail and back.
https://manofmany.com/rides/cycling/best-electric-bikes
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLimey View Post
We have 2 Pedego Comfort Cruisers which we carry on a Thule rack in the factory installed hitch, The hitch is rated for 300 lbs so we are well under the weight limit.

Plus Thule rack has a threaded hitch pin which, when tightened and locked, eliminates bounce from play in the receiver.

We have traveled over a thousand miles with this setup and love it.

Pedego aren't cheap but for us they were worth it.
Thule doesn’t make a hitch rated for fifth wheels t least that’s what I thought
Old 04-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I’m sure it will come as no surprise that you are going to get what you pay for. $750 isnt going to get you very far down the bike trail and back.
https://manofmany.com/rides/cycling/best-electric-bikes
https://www.wired.com/review/lectric-xp-bike/
I agree with you about getting what you pay for. My thoughts are it’s really cheap to try out and see if it’s what I would like ... at this price point you could advertise them on this site and move them really quick if your unhappy with them.. I can use these in my boat as well. They advertise 45 mile range but this article said more like 20+.. any more then that and I’m driving anyway. Can’t see jumping right in to a $3000 bike out of the gate..
But everyone’s needs are different..also don’t want to have to worry about a ebike costing thousands getting stolen..
( thought you were responding to my post)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #8
UKLimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Thule doesn’t make a hitch rated for fifth wheels t least that’s what I thought
It used to. My hitch is about 12 years old and is the old steel model. Solid as a rock and could carry a great deal more than it does.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
akmk81

Quote:

I have a Lectric foldable bike I bought to take camping. I have an arthritic hip and it's nice to be able to ride but not have to pedal that much. I can fold it up and put it in a tote and then either put it in the back of the truck or the camper if it's raining. Also $899.00 no tax (for IN) and free shipping...I got it 10 days after ordering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_132757.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	32929  

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
notanlines

Jasin, you were posting while I was writing I guess. No harm no foul, but I can tell you our 17” folding bikes would be terribly uncomfortable after about 4 miles. They are really only good for around the park.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jasin, you were posting while I was writing I guess. No harm no foul, but I can tell you our 17” folding bikes would be terribly uncomfortable after about 4 miles. They are really only good for around the park.
I may just stick with my cruiser bikes for a while.. have a pretty nice Electra. And the wife has a nice Felt cruiser .. we get around pretty good on them.. geared right so they are really comfortable to ride. And your probably right about the smaller folding bikes.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #12
bobbecky

We just visited friends this weekend who came down to Yuma to visit and get some dental work done. They brought their fairly new eBikes with them and discovered one of them has a bad battery, must be a bad cell, so they only have one working cycle. I think he said the battery, which must be still under warranty, costs around $500, if I remember correctly. Have a battery failure and you better be able to pedal unless you have AAA for a tow.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I had looked at several different kinds and thought I wanted a folding bike but as Jim mentioned I don't think it will work for trying to ride 20-40 miles.

Had a couple stop by a month or 2 ago to stay for a couple of days. We visited and they told us they drive around the country, stop, get on their bikes and ride 50 miles then go to the next spot. They were excited about all the very nice bike lanes/roads that are built there and took off about 9 am. Early afternoon they were back and pretty elated. Said the paths (paved) were beautiful, clean and easy (and they are pretty). And these folks weren't on E bikes, just some really nice riding bikes.

Here is a link to the bikes I am considering. Couldn't decide between the Limited or the Prodigy but after talking about it more decided we might want the 700 series because it has fenders. Tests/reviews on the Limited and 700 seemed pretty good.

https://ride1up.com/?avad=269857_f210172b5
Old 04-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
I had looked at several different kinds and thought I wanted a folding bike but as Jim mentioned I don't think it will work for trying to ride 20-40 miles.

Had a couple stop by a month or 2 ago to stay for a couple of days. We visited and they told us they drive around the country, stop, get on their bikes and ride 50 miles then go to the next spot. They were excited about all the very nice bike lanes/roads that are built there and took off about 9 am. Early afternoon they were back and pretty elated. Said the paths (paved) were beautiful, clean and easy (and they are pretty). And these folks weren't on E bikes, just some really nice riding bikes.

Here is a link to the bikes I am considering. Couldn't decide between the Limited or the Prodigy but after talking about it more decided we might want the 700 series because it has fenders. Tests/reviews on the Limited and 700 seemed pretty good.

https://ride1up.com/?avad=269857_f210172b5
They look nice.. I would make sure the seat and handlebar position are comfortable for long range riding.. I’ve always had mountain bikes but this cruiser I got a few years ago feels like I’m driving a lazy boy recliner down the street.. ergonomically very comfortable..

prices aren’t bad at all... damn... wish I didn’t look at those cause now it’s got me thinking
Old 04-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
They look nice.. I would make sure the seat and handlebar position are comfortable for long range riding.. I’ve always had mountain bikes but this cruiser I got a few years ago feels like I’m driving a lazy boy recliner down the street.. ergonomically very comfortable.. prices aren’t bad at all... damn... wish I didn’t look at those cause now it’s got me thinking

We do not want flat mountain bike handles; something like a cruiser or at least sitting upright. Watched several videos of the various Ride1Up model tests and looked like the 700 appeared to keep you in a normal sitting position. We've had the mountain/sport bikes and those days are long gone.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
linux3

Some pretty good advice on what to buy but I most liked the calculations for range.

2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #17
mikec557

Quote:

We winter every year in a place that has miles and miles of beautiful paved paths going all over for walkers and bicyclists...
I don't know if this would fit your needs but let me throw this out there.

We full timed for a little under 2yrs. We brought our ordinary pedal (REI) bikes with us and traveled around the country. One thing I didn't count on is that they rusted in places. Mostly just unsightly surface rust. But I didn't like that.

But more importantly, we rented electric bikes while at Bear Lake in Garden City UT. They were a ton of fun. That convinced us we want electric bikes. But I'm hesitant to buy and bring them out on the road. We're in Arizona and leaving for the (hot) summer. This year we're going to just rent electric bikes wherever it looks like fun to ride. Don't know how much money that will add up to, but I guess time will tell.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I don't know if this would fit your needs but let me throw this out there.

We full timed for a little under 2yrs. We brought our ordinary pedal (REI) bikes with us and traveled around the country. One thing I didn't count on is that they rusted in places. Mostly just unsightly surface rust. But I didn't like that.

But more importantly, we rented electric bikes while at Bear Lake in Garden City UT. They were a ton of fun. That convinced us we want electric bikes. But I'm hesitant to buy and bring them out on the road. We're in Arizona and leaving for the (hot) summer. This year we're going to just rent electric bikes wherever it looks like fun to ride. Don't know how much money that will add up to, but I guess time will tell.

The idea of renting is definitely appealing but we like to stay sort in sort of "out of the way" places and there are no e-bike rentals there - just watch and talk to the folks if we can.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Some pretty good advice on what to buy but I most liked the calculations for range.

If you watch there other video ..”theft in the campground” ..she had her $4000 ebike stolen in broad daylight while it was locked to her fifth wheel ..there isnt many high dollar things you take camping but generators and expensive bikes are probably top of list...when I was in Delaware at a restaurant I was locking my bike up to a rack and a lady’s ebike alarm went off... she came running out thinking I was stealing it lol .. I showed her how I was just locking my bike up to the shared rack.. I would feel more comfortable if I had a toy hauler to store them
Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #20
Fishsizzle

We have thought about them as well. One thing that has held us back a bit is on national forest grounds, well I guess it can be anywhere, is when they post no motorized vehicles, it includes e-bikes. I thought combustion motors, but was informed all motors. So we have held off and still pedal around. I thought it would be fun to get around an entire lake or ride up to a next resort, but alas no.

I have a Trek MT bike, and it’s nice. They make a good product.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike