Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #21
penra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
DRV. Chris
Never owned one.
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #22
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by penra View Post
Never owned one.
I have two close friends with them and they are fighting with problems all the time, just like so many others with brands from across the board. Both of these friends have been to Mor-Ryde to have a suspension put under the rig that it should have had OEM. One has a bedroom slide that he current can not get open. It has the Schwintek system. Both have had issue with J panel at the rear cap. On and On just like most RVs. Chris
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #23
pdaniel

Quote:
Looking at 5ers with the criteria of:
  • Space for two people and occasional guests
  • Kitchen counter and storage space
  • Well insulated and dual pane windows
  • Dual AC and 35k furnace
  • Prefer to not exceed 35 feet length
  • Fifth wheel

Montana, what is the difference between High country and not?
Also looking at KZ Durango Gold and 2500.
thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions!
At the risk of being banished we opted for a non-keystone product for winter snowbirding. It is an extended stay 5th wheel, 35 feet with the amenities you desire. We looked at the Montana line and opted for the competition.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #24
goducks

Quote:
I have two close friends with them and they are fighting with problems all the time, just like so many others with brands from across the board. Both of these friends have been to Mor-Ryde to have a suspension put under the rig that it should have had OEM. One has a bedroom slide that he current can not get open. It has the Schwintek system. Both have had issue with J panel at the rear cap. On and On just like most RVs. Chris
Are theirs pre Thor? Heard that pre Thor are the better choice.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
mikz86ta

Stay clear of KZ. They are junk.
Also, if you are looking at something by Primetime Mfg (Spartan Toyhauler, Crusader 5th, etc) they are junk too. We had two couples with Crusaders by us. Both had slide-out rot from poor watershed due to ignorant build engineering. Neither could get them to do anything about it. One couple got a Vilano by VanLeigh. It's beautiful and a FT Living quality unit. Made by the same people who own Tiffin. Their customer service and build quality is spot on.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #26
sweetlou

Have you looked @the Keystone Alpine?
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #27
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Are theirs pre Thor? Heard that pre Thor are the better choice.
Yes. Chris
Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).
We went to the Grand Design Solitude 310GK. We don't have dual pane windows but lived in it part of the winter with no issues.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #29
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Penra, maybe we could better serve your needs if you could tell us your budget constraints and your tow vehicle. You must have some idea of what your maximum price might be for an RV.
It is very common for owners of lesser quality items to talk down a more expensive product. Try to put those comments in perspective and listen to opinions more open minded. All the brands previously mentioned can possibly serve you well, it will depend on the condition of the used RV, does it contain the amenities you require, and do you have a TV with enough 'kick-butt' to handle the load.
Of all the recommendations above (yes, I read them all) the main point you might want to keep in mind is to avoid a ten year old unit as stated by TT. It is simply not a good idea.
Capabilities and restraints of the two vehicle are very important. We had enough TV before we went shopping and bought what the truck could handle and still leave some margin. Many do it backwards or believe their TV can handle the extended stay 5th wheels only to regret later that decision.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #30
geo

I WILL try to make this short. (All previous camping experience deleted.) We started planning for retirement full-timing around 2005. In 2010, we ordered and purchased a Keystone Alpine. (A lot deleted) Just look at the sticky on the Modifications Section to see what all I did trying to make that Alpine cold and hot weather compatible. In late 2012, we traded in the Alpine and ordered a 38' DRV Elite Suites (well pre-Thor). We took delivery of the DRV in February 2013, sold the house in May 2013, and started full-timing. Note: The Keystone warranty specifically states the warranty is void if RV is used for full-timing. My wife had retired in 2012, I retired at the end of 2014. We took to the road January 2015. We still snow ski, so we visit Pagosa Springs, CO every January-March. Coldest temp so far: -17F BTW, the hottest temp so far: 113F in Denton, TX. That was in the DRV which did quite well. The big problem was the hung-wall construction. I was going around the outside twice a year tightening screws and replacing smaller screws that had bored out the aluminum with larger screws. In late 2017, we made the best decision of our full-timing life.

We bit the financial bullet and ordered a New Horizons Majestic, 39'. JRTJH knows this and has seen a YouTube of our unit. We are very pleased with our full-time home. New Horizons utilizes a lamination system instead of hung-wall.

Admittedly, this is a Keystone Forum, so I should not be droning on about a non-Keystone unit. But as others have said previously, almost all travel trailers, fifth wheel, and Class A/B/C are not specifically built for full-timing. Everyone has different financial thresholds, so one needs to find their best RV for the best price.

I will say, I do know what happened to our Alpine! After all my modifications, it was sold to a mud logger who worked in far northwestern Oklahoma. He was tired of being cold in his RV at the wellsite. He felt he "found a bird's nest on the ground" in our used Alpine! It served him well . . . too well. He claimed the bed, but he had the toolpusher, company man, drillers, and a few roughnecks who spread sleeping bags all about the floor of the Alpine. Why? Because his Alpine was warmer than the mobile homes at the wellsite!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #31
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your experience, as a newbie it can be overwhelming to consider the options.
I bought an Outback 328RL and my major disappointment is lack of insulation (hot and cold) and space is so tight in the bathroom and bedroom. Otherwise it is a beautiful TT. Aside from my lack of experience (running out of propane and thinking the thermostat was bad ) no problems.
We have two leased lots in Washington and many people here have Park Models. I don't like them and would rather invest $70-80k on a rig that is movable but still comfortable in the early spring and fall (we plan to go south in Winter).
I don't have a tow vehicle yet. I was hoping to get a 3/4 ton HD (diesel) but am fine with a 1 ton SRW. Having only the TV in the south means driving it everywhere and I hate the idea of driving a DRW around town. From what I can glean on this forum (good info) it looks like I want to be under 14,000 on trailer weight.
I am considering getting a big 5er that can be parked year round and smaller 5er that we can take south (Cougar 315RLS is my number one at this time).
As to price range, $50-70k for the big one would be great. I think I can trade the Outback back to the dealer as it's only two months old.
thanks again!
To cover all the main points here and original post look at the Montana 3761 FL. Most likely need to order for dual pane windows though. A little longer than you request but you will not find more storage in any 5er, especially outside compartments. We are in ours almost 9 months a year from mid 90s to high 20s. Making all numbers with a 2016 F350 srw 6.7.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #32
penra

Seriously you haul that big thang with a SRW? Everyone on this forum is in love with Dually so you are an outlier.
I'm liking Montana a lot, going to look Saturday at Montana and Cougar. I'm very happy with Keystone mostly. And I love the dealer I found, very solid company with experience and good people. I don't have $150,000 for a high end 5er and really would prefer to spend my money traveling (and buying the right truck!).
Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #33
boagey

I just purchased a 2019 Alpine 3400, not full timers, gone for months at a time. We like having the wide body (105”), and all the options. check it out.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #34
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
To cover all the main points here and original post look at the Montana 3761 FL. Most likely need to order for dual pane windows though. A little longer than you request but you will not find more storage in any 5er, especially outside compartments. We are in ours almost 9 months a year from mid 90s to high 20s. Making all numbers with a 2016 F350 srw 6.7.
You have to be close to your RGAWR?
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #35
CaptnJohn

Quote:
You have to be close to your RGAWR?

Actually there is so much storage behind the axels there is nothing in the front compartment except the batteries and a container for sewer stuff. The pass through has nothing but a tv for outside viewing. The bedroom is in the back with a ton of storage plus the separate washer and dryer. The large bath is in the tail. The only thing that would effect pw is the amount of fw as that tank is forward. I travel with 1/3 tank to add a little pw. Whoever designed all the massive storage may have had pw and rating in mind.
Also, other than the hitch and bed cover no weight is added to the bed. We use a propane fire pit so no wood is needed. I can see where a full bed load and filling front storage could creep up quickly on payload.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:06 AM   #36
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by boagey View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Alpine 3400, not full timers, gone for months at a time. We like having the wide body (105”), and all the options. check it out.
What is this "wide body" thing you are referring to....105". 102" is the max allowed on a road without having a wide load permit as I understand it
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #37
notanlines

The wide body on the Alpine is actually 100”. There are no 105”.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #38
rbrdriver

We are full-timing in a 2019 Alpine 3700FL and so far it's been good. Of course you need a dually to safely haul this beast around...…..
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #39
travelin texans

[QUOTE=geo;34350
We bit the financial bullet and ordered a New Horizons Majestic, 39'. JRTJH knows this and has seen a YouTube of our unit. We are very pleased with our full-time home. New Horizons utilizes a lamination system instead of hung-wall.
Ron[/QUOTE]

Just curious!
Still towing the New Horizons with the F450?
Even the DRV was close to max tow weight & max pin weight for the F450 & suspect the NH is heavier.
So are you upgrading to a MDT?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #40
penra

Just bought the Montana 3120RL! Delivery early July, we are trading our Outback 328RL and yes it hurt financially but the dealer was overly fair since the Outback is barely two months old. I am very happy with the Montana and think it will serve us well for a while.
Can't wait to get moved in!