Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
DominickP53

Is a second A/C unit needed in the bedroom in our 29RLI

We recently purchased a 29RLI 1/2 Cougar FW.
The bedroom is located at the nose of RV and separated from the kitchen/entertainment area.
The A/C main vent is located in the kitchen/entertainment area.
Will the A/C deliver cooling to the bedroom thru ceiling vents?
Will the bedroom be comfy enough on those hot days with one A/C unit?
And my big question; Do we need a second A/C unit for the Bedroom.
My biggest concern is the bedroom is not very large and I'm imagining it blowing directly on us making it too cold in the bedroom. And also hugely concerned it will be VERY LOUD!. I'm a lite sleeper.
What do you think? Should I let the salesman know that he is not going to sell us a second A/C unit for the bedroom.
Thank you.
2020 F350 6.7 diesel SRW
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
notanlines

Dom, it will be HOT in your bedroom on a HOT day in PA. Yes, non-ducted AC units are loud, wives trying to sleep in a HOT room are LOUD. Understand?
I'm afraid this isn't all about you, sorry. Go ahead with the sale and include the 2nd air conditioner. You'll recoup a little in resale and it will probably keep peace in the family.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Cougar XLite fifth wheel is 31' long. There are LOTS of times when we wish we had a second A/C unit, but living in Michigan, we just haven't installed one "yet"... Your trailer is 2' longer than ours with an additional slide so more "places for hot air to leak into the trailer... Also, if you have the 12 volt Norcold compresser refrigerator, that heat will be discharged into the main cabin as well.... So, with the extra cubic feet of interior space and the additional "heat load" from that space, I'd suspect you'll wish for a second A/C far more than we do.....

Oh, and hopefully you didn't take the salesman's pitch about "half ton towable" too literally.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Dom unless you are only going to camp in the winter you need to add the 2nd A/C. Assuming this is a 2022 model it comes with ducted A/Cs front and rear; the optional unit for the bedroom is the Coleman Mach Q-series ultra quiet model. That means that the bedroom unit will be loud anyway but should be liveable IMO. I'm a very light sleeper as well but our bedroom unit (Dometic) doesn't bother me unless it kicks on and off so I keep the fan either on hi or lo.

The roof ducting nowadays is much better than it used to be. I replaced selected vents with the type that I can close off. The bedroom in ours came with 4 ceiling vents that we just don't need (just need 2) - I want that air in the main living area.

On a sunny day the insulation value of the roof and sides is virtually nil so that heat comes right thru the walls - and it won't matter if that's summer or winter. Bright sun on a day that's 80 will have you running both A/Cs.

Below is a link to the RV being discussed. Do the 3D walkthrough and move the rooms around so you can see floors, ceilings, vents etc. And nope, that's not a "1/2 ton towable" - it's 33' and 11k lbs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
dutchmensport

When you need it, you'll be glad you have it. If you don't have it and you need it, you'll be kicking yourself while sweating bullets. Or, you'll be making a pallet on the living room floor where it's cooler.

Besides, sometimes campgrounds can get VERY noisy. When flipping on the air conditioner in the bed room, it's so loud it drowns out all outside noise. A drone sound will lull me right to sleep. Screaming kids and dogs barking through the walls of the camper will keep me awake all night!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
gearhead

Speaking of sweating bullets....It's like a 9mm: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
wrvond

We just got the single A/C with ours because we never felt the need for a second one in our old TT. It was 99° F here a few days ago and my only concession was closing the rear window shade - we've got a lot of window on the back wall! The single A/C kept it quite comfortable. We do use small fans on the night stands because we really prefer to have moving air around us, plus the fans provide a source of white noise.
I'm not saying I'll never install that second A/C but before I do, I want to be sure I really want it. That's a lot of weight to add to a camper that already carries the lion's share of it's weight forward of the axles (in my case).

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #8
travelin texans

IMHO any rv over 25' needs 2 A/Cs unless camping in the Artic.
Even places in the far northern states it can/does get very uncomfortable in a minimally insulated tin can with temps of 85-90 degrees 85-90% humidity.
As someone else stated, better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it!
Also agree "1/2 ton towable" is a sales gimmick that rv manufacturers should've never called a 5th wheel rv!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #9
bsmith0404

As others have said, yes, get the 2nd AC. It’s a $500 option, at least it was 2 years ago, probably $5k now. Not only will you be glad you have it from time to time, it helps resale value. A 5th wheel has a lot of space with the taller ceiling and the hallway with bathroom really seems to separate the bedroom more so than in a travel trailer. I wouldn’t own anything over 25’ without 2 ACs, but I live in the southwest where 2 ACs would be a good idea on any sweatbox also known as an RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:43 AM   #10
jasin1

nice thing about having two ac units with the racetrack duct ….both units tie into the same duct system…when it’s hot but not sweltering we can run just the bedroom ac with the door mostly closed and we still get some quiet cooling in the main living area while eating dinner and watching tv…when we go to sleep we do the opposite..turn the living ac down low and bedroom ac off…and don’t have the air blasting on us over the bed

we use a small air cleaner in the bedroom that we use at home also…same white noise and same pillows from home

we even have the same brand and model mattress also
Old 05-03-2022, 05:10 AM   #11
DominickP53

Well my wife of 34 years said. I think we ought to get the 2nd unit. So. Consider it done. Thanks out to all you friends for your help. Again.
2020 F350 6.7 diesel SRW
Old 05-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #12
Scttw

We have a unit at both ends of our trailer, and the LR end is also a heat-pump.

at Night we run the bedroom ONLY and during afternoon dinner to help cool our Florida room we switch it over to the LR. We sit 8 at our dinner table. Our trailer door is open from first thing in the AM till bedtime.

But based on the fact we only use the BR at night, I'd say YES, get the 2nd one.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #13
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickP53 View Post
Well my wife of 34 years said. I think we ought to get the 2nd unit. So. Consider it done. Thanks out to all you friends for your help. Again.
See that? Now you can cruise your way right on towards the 40 year mark! (And, now she owes YOU....)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #14
Scttw

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
See that? Now you can cruise your way right on towards the 40 year mark! (And, now she owes YOU....)
And he's only 68% to your milestone
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Having been married to my wonderful wife for 50 years this past Valentines day, I can assure you, the wife doesn't owe me anything. She is my partner and when she says she wants something, there is no decision to be made. I was going to buy some new shocks this week but we decided we would prefer to spend a little discretionary funding on a new floor in the guest bathroom.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #16
DominickP53

It takes a real man to honor and love his wife.
That’s how you get to 50.
I’m sure the, she owes you, was in jest.
But aren’t shocks a mandatory spend item? LOL
Keepin it light bros.
2020 F350 6.7 diesel SRW
Old 05-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Having been married to my wonderful wife for 50 years this past Valentines day, I can assure you, the wife doesn't owe me anything. She is my partner and when she says she wants something, there is no decision to be made. I was going to buy some new shocks this week but we decided we would prefer to spend a little discretionary funding on a new floor in the guest bathroom.
Years ago I did a full remodel on a bathroom. One day the DW came home with a new window curtian for a bathroom that she got for "a great sale" price. I hung the curtian and of course the curtian rod didn't "work well" with it. Then naturally the shoer curtian and liner HAD to match, as well as those rods/hangers. Well naturally the medicin cabinet couldn't POSSIBLY work so out it went.

Why stop there right? After new fixtures for for sink, toilet and tub the flooring and wallboard looked shabby so yup, out it went. Ceiling fan and light and fresh coat of ceiling paint and that darned "bargain" of a window curtian was looking JUST RIGHT.

That was about 35 years ago and this March was our 42 ND marriage anniversary and this November we'll have been together for 47 years so George, I understand.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

About 25 years ago when we moved into our current home which was brand new, the walls were all eggshell color. The missus couldn't take eggshell so I painted every room to her specifications. We bought the house without carpet except for the back bedrooms and I laid oak parquet flooring which had to be glued down... I worked about 3 weeks after I got off work until exhaustion. This year, my wife got sick of oak parquet and we had a guy install several thousand feet of luxury vinyl planks. He is putting that stuff in the guest bath as we speak. I had originally installed ceramic tile in all the wet areas and the guest bath is the last to receive new flooring. There was nothing wrong with any of the tile... just needed updating to the discriminating eye of she who makes inside house decisions. This is an odd time as these things normally occur just prior to one of her kinfolk coming to visit.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Years ago I did a full remodel on a bathroom. One day the DW came home with a new window curtian for a bathroom that she got for "a great sale" price. I hung the curtian and of course the curtian rod didn't "work well" with it. Then naturally the shoer curtian and liner HAD to match, as well as those rods/hangers. Well naturally the medicin cabinet couldn't POSSIBLY work so out it went.

Why stop there right? After new fixtures for for sink, toilet and tub the flooring and wallboard looked shabby so yup, out it went. Ceiling fan and light and fresh coat of ceiling paint and that darned "bargain" of a window curtian was looking JUST RIGHT.

That was about 35 years ago and this March was our 42 ND marriage anniversary and this November we'll have been together for 47 years so George, I understand.

LOL Marshall this post jogged my brain. Like your situation we bought a vacation home and DW started with wanting a new shower curtain and rod. Well as one thing then the other seemed to come up on the radar; needed wallpaper, floor....wouldn't a new sink/vanity be nice....that tub could be modernized etc. I was running myself silly trying to get what she wanted, then I realized....she's telling me something subliminally - "new bathroom"...
Told her I had a better plan - tore it out to the studs and put everything she wanted back in including fixtures, electrical, new plumbing etc. etc. The smile was SO big and she was so happy....I "knew" exactly what she wanted she says. But you know, she helped me every step of the way digging through all that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #20
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickP53 View Post
We recently purchased a 29RLI 1/2 Cougar FW.
The bedroom is located at the nose of RV and separated from the kitchen/entertainment area.
The A/C main vent is located in the kitchen/entertainment area.
Will the A/C deliver cooling to the bedroom thru ceiling vents?
Will the bedroom be comfy enough on those hot days with one A/C unit?
And my big question; Do we need a second A/C unit for the Bedroom.
My biggest concern is the bedroom is not very large and I'm imagining it blowing directly on us making it too cold in the bedroom. And also hugely concerned it will be VERY LOUD!. I'm a lite sleeper.
What do you think? Should I let the salesman know that he is not going to sell us a second A/C unit for the bedroom.
Thank you.
I owned a 2017 30RLI Cougar. One trip to the Nevada desert, Ely, convinced me a second air conditioner was needed. The single AC will not cool the bedroom.
Get the second installed. You won’t regret it.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom