Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
linux3

If we have to boondock

We don't boondock. We don't stay at Walmart or anything like that. We like staying in CG's with full service.
BUT:
We plan to head west and who knows what will be open and stay open.
Heat, hot water and cooking is via propane but what about lights and TV?
Any suggestions as to a SMALL generator we should buy and take with?
This is a just in case so I don't want to over do.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Rob,

We have not boondocked in many years as we just had so many other "things" that took up time. We have now sold all houses and other time occupiers so that we just have the main home and the RV. I have researched into this quite a bit because we're in the same boat. I have no intentions of going "boondocking" as a way of camping but I very well find myself in a spot for a night or two where I don't have full hookups.

Obviously there are all kinds of gen sets, some better, some worse. Some way expensive and some not so much. I wanted something along the lines of what you are looking for as far as power without breaking the bank. I have pretty much decided on the Champion brand. The way I camp I don't need to spend the money for a Honda and Champions seem to have a good reputation. I haven't decided between the 2500W inverter generator or the 3100W. I'll probably go with the 2500 simply due to the weight. If memory is working I believe the 2500 is around 40 lbs. and the 3100 is over 80. That's a no go with 2 destroyed shoulders and 2 snapped bicep tendons; picking that up into the bed of the truck won't happen. Just something to think about.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Rob how many nights do you anticipate boondocking in a row? What capacity/age battery?
If your lights are LED and you use a small inverter for the TV for say 2 hours then you should be good for a night or two. Then driving for several hours should recharge the battery. If you run the furnace then it's a game changer.
At first blush a small generator will suffice for your stated needs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A Champion 2000 watt suitcase generator will provide a "sustained 1600 watts of power. That's enough to charge the batteries, run the refrigerator (it automatically changes to electricity as soon as you plug in, unless you remember to switch it to LPG only). You can add the TV/DVD player to that generator without any worries. If your DW is a "hair dryer after a shower" type, then you can turn off all the other stuff and she can dry her hair, or you can perk a pot of coffee in the morning or even pop a bag of microwave popcorn with the generator running.

like Danny suggested, for limited "once in a blue moon" use, you really don't need to invest in a Honda/Yamaha generator. You can buy 3 Champion suitcase generators for the price of 1 of the "expensive brands"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
LewisB

Danny addressed weight - an important factor. Also consider:
> Capacity: is this to just freshen the batteries or run a TV? Go small.
> Sound: generally, small inverter type generators can be very quiet, contractor open frame types can be very noisy. I would think quiet would be important.
> Run time: Do you want it to run all night? The run time based on fuel capacity might be important.
> Security: since you are not in a CG, how will you secure the unit. Last thing you want is to chase a thief across the Walmart parking lot while in your PJ's
> Connectivity: Where will you set it up? In the back of your truck? With a small generator, you can probably use a light weight household extension cord connected to your shore power cord? Or will you have to drag out your 30A or 50A cord to connect?

So weight, capacity, sound, run time, security, connectivity - all really important. Note that I didn't even list "cost" - that should be near the bottom of your list. You will hate every minute you have to use your "lowest cost" purchase if it does not meet your minimum basic needs.

Once you have defined your basic needs and addressed all of the above, you will be well on your way to making the right choice for YOU!
Hope this helps!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We don't boondock. We don't stay at Walmart or anything like that. We like staying in CG's with full service.
BUT:
We plan to head west and who knows what will be open and stay open.
Heat, hot water and cooking is via propane but what about lights and TV?
Any suggestions as to a SMALL generator we should buy and take with?
This is a just in case so I don't want to over do.
I'm thinking something around 1000w would give you enough power to charge your batteries and run the TV with a small 300 watt inverter. We use a 200w solar system and get along just fine. No A/C though. For that you'd need a 3000w unit. 3X the cost and 3X the weight
Furnace and lights will discharge your batteries as will running an inverter to watch TV. Remember if you're dry camping you may not be in range to find a signal so stock up on DVDs I believe you'd only need to run the generator for a couple of hours to recharge your batteries say during the morning while you have your breakfast.Here's a $200 option that might be worth looking at.
"Sportsman 1000 Watt Inverter Generator" A small investment for those "just in case" situations.
Above assumes you have two good batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1447.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	27299  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
skids

I have the Westinghouse i2500 inverter. I paid 499.00 at Home Depot last year. Pretty quiet @“52 dB”. It will run the AC at 8800 ft elevation but not at 10000 feet. Around 50 lbs weight.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
ADQ K9

I have 2 Yamaha 2K inverter gens, if I need A/C I run them parallel. They weigh less than 50# each most of the time I am only running one, but the second is for back up, or if I need a gen somewhere else for a job I can still run the trailer. The Yamahas were a little less expensive than the Hondas I went with one of these two for parts and service avallibility.
A security cable from the trailer through the handle of the gen keeps honest people honest.
Two 6 Volt GC batteries wired in series will give you more time between charges and should be able to recharge while traveling depending on how much you travel during the day and how much you depleted them the night before.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
travelin texans

From conversations with the snowbirds all heading to their home states in every direction have not heard of any that weren't able to find a park or campground with at least water/electric, so far most are unmanned with payments over the phone & none of their amenities open, but overnight is available.
Not sure I'd spend $500-1000 on a "what if" generator unless you have use for it after this trip. If absolutely necessary you could stay in Walmart, Cracker Barrel or Home Depot lot hooked to your locked truck idling which would cost you a couple gallons of fuel, but you'd have water, lights, heat if necessary, no TV or microwave, so you'd have to spend the evening reading, I could think of worse ways to spend an evening & not spend the $$$.
Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny's comments are "spot on" with regard to a "one time, this time" trip. If you don't expect to ever need the equipment after this trip, it's probably not a 'wise investment of funds" on the other hand, if you're going to be doing this every year, two or three times a year, then it may be something to consider.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:17 AM   #11
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm thinking something around 1000w would give you enough power to charge your batteries and run the TV with a small 300 watt inverter.
Remember if you're dry camping you may not be in range to find a signal so stock up on DVDs I believe you'd only need to run the generator for a couple of hours to recharge your batteries say during the morning while you have your breakfast.Here's a $200 option that might be worth looking at.
"Sportsman 1000 Watt Inverter Generator" A small investment for those "just in case" situations.
Above assumes you have two good batteries.
This sounds like a plan. Light weight and inexpensive.
As for TV (not tow vehicle but viewing) I have a bunch of stuff on my laptop and bring a Chromecast.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
skids

Here in Colorado, especially federal campgrounds, you will usually not find electrical and rarely water or sewer hookups. We camp to camp rather than drag our hotel around. We typically go for 3 nights so you maybe see the need for a small generator. We have to be conservative with power usage at night because there are "quiet time" rules. This is probably not "boondocking" as most would think of it.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
Canonman

Dry camping or Boon-docking, it's kind of the same thing. Only difference I've found is one has a picnic table and a fire ring. We do both and leave the RV Parks to those who prefer that style of camping. Life situations often dictate camping styles. We consider ourselves very fortunate!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cape Kiwanda Sunset-3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	27345  
Old 05-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
travelin texans

We fulltimed glamping (glamorous camping) for 10+ years with FHUs, boondocking was more along the lines staying in a cabin with no modern conveniences & the privy out back.
DW said if we're going full-time we weren't boondocking anymore, it's now our home..
3 minimum requirements; water, electricity & sewer cause "we're not using the bathhouses anymore", which was fine by me.
Met lots of great folks at parks across the country that we wouldn't have met boondocking in the middle of nowhere, several we still keep in touch with.
It was a great adventure! So much so we bought & settled back down in a 55+ RV resort.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
NH_Bulldog

Skids, I have been thinking about a small Honda-like generator for charging in certain situations but having one that can also run the AC unit for our dogs would be a huge plus. I know I can run the AC off a 20a household outlet as long as everything else is running off gas or 12v, so this intrigues me. Did you add a soft-start or does your generator just work?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #16
Canonman

Not sure about skids, but we have a 3000 watt inverter genset that will run our 13,500 btu Coleman A/C. Nothing else can be on during start up. We last used it two seasons ago during the Reno Air Races. Dry camping close by the airfield, it got pretty warm during the afternoon. Obviously no daytime noise restrictions. Ran the A/C several hours in the afternoon until sunset.
We had a great time, met lots of good folks and were comfortable while being close to all the action.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7792.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	27347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7940-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	27348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7960.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	27349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7914.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	27350  
Old 05-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #17
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Skids, I have been thinking about a small Honda-like generator for charging in certain situations but having one that can also run the AC unit for our dogs would be a huge plus. I know I can run the AC off a 20a household outlet as long as everything else is running off gas or 12v, so this intrigues me. Did you add a soft-start or does your generator just work?
First I had a 2015 Jayco 195RB with a Coleman Mach 13500 btu. My Westinhhouse iGen2500 would run the air conditioner with the AC stock. We live at 8800 ft elevation. It would not run it at 10000 ft elev. The Soft Start did run it at higher elevations.

Now we have a 2019 Keystone Bullet RKS. The AC would not start well without the softstart at the house (8800 ft el.). I installed the soft start and here are the specs:

Dometic Brisk II roof-mounted air conditioner 13500BTU Model No. B57915711j0 25.63 x 13.87 x 29.62 inches wide
Power Consumption: 1670Watts (max conditions?)
Cooling Capacity 3953 W
9/18/19 Installed EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter after resetting and relearning. Shows 1.49 KW on iGen 2500. Runs at 8800 ft el. 65F eco mode.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #18
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Not sure about skids, but we have a 3000 watt inverter genset that will run our 13,500 btu Coleman A/C. Nothing else can be on during start up. We last used it two seasons ago during the Reno Air Races. Dry camping close by the airfield, it got pretty warm during the afternoon. Obviously no daytime noise restrictions. Ran the A/C several hours in the afternoon until sunset.
We had a great time, met lots of good folks and were comfortable while being close to all the action.
Something to consider is that the warmer it gets outside, the harder the compressor works (as I understand it). Also, the motor of the generator loses its punch the higher it is in elevation. The trade off with generators is that weight between something like a 2500 watt and 3500 watt generator. Lots of possibilities with "piggy backing" with lower Watt gens etc, but costs get pretty crazy and you tote that much more weight around.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #19
NH_Bulldog

Thanks for the info. I have the exact same model AC. It looks like the soft start is the way to go.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
tundrwd

If you are a Costco member (or maybe a Sams Club member) - check stores. I ALWAYS wander around, you just never know what you'll find.

A bit over a year ago, wandered around a Costco in Kansas City (we live a couple hours away), and went by the generator section. They had a Champion 3100 generator for... $399.95. Having a smart phone is a wonderful thing, that specific model apparently is only at Costcos, but a price from a couple months ago showed the price to be over $800. They had 3, I bought one, when I went through the checkout the lady said it was on clearance. They could tell by the price.

I was stupid - I should have bought all 3...
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote