Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaster View Post
I tow a 27’ Cougar 27RESWE which weighs 6400# empty. With 60 gallons of water, just under 7000# with a 5.7L v-8, air bags, equalizer hitch, trailer brakes, S&B intake and 46 gallon fuel tank. Truck performs very well while towing between 60-70mph. I only get 8mpg when windy and 9mpg or better when not. Not diesel power, but adequate IMO. Toyota Tundra reliability plays heavily into my equation, as well as high cost of diesel TV. BIL pulls 32’ Reflection with a Ford 350 and only gets 2 mpg better traveling same route. There is no substitution for diesel and 1 ton rig, but Tundra is adequate for my purposes. I personally would never tow a TT weighing more than 7000# with the Tundra.
Sorry! Your numbers don't compute..
You say 6400# empty + the dealer added battery & propane equals 100#+, 100#+ hitch added, 500#+ of water added & 300#+ of fuel added to whatever you've loaded inside or in storage compartments of the RV equals over the 7000# you wouldn't tow with a Tundra.
Doesn't matter to me, but when I do the math the water alone put you over 7k by at least 200#.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote