Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #1
Tdesrosiers

Black tank flush

Hello,
We are new to having the holding tank flush option. Is it necessary to use a separate hose or do people just use their drinking water hose? Might be a dumb question, but thought I’d ask. I see no way that anything could work it’s way up from the tank and into the hose, but you never know. Thank you!
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There is an anti siphon valve in the rinser plumbing so in theory you could use the same hose. I don’t and I don’t know anybody that does. Just makes sense to use a seperate hose and not take any chances.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think about it, when you're "flushing the black tank" you're also handling the black tank valve, the sewer hose and the fititngs. If you're using your fresh water hose, you'll also be handling that hose. If your hands (gloves recommended) are contaminated, then you'll contaminate the fresh water hose.

Will you get sick from that? Probably not, but is it worth the risk? If you've ever "had the trots from contaminated food or water" you probably NEVER want to repeat that sickness, and that's why most people simply use a different hose (mine is tan) for the black tank flush, cleaning/rinsing the sewer hose and fittings and for washing down the ramp after dumping.

My fresh water hose NEVER comes close to the black tank flush, sewer hose or fittings...

I think most people use two hoses for the same reasons as me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
Canonman

I've always thought it odd that on our Cougar the city water connection and the black tank flush connection were right next to each other. The thought of cross contamination gives me concern so we are as careful as we can be. I have a separate hose for the flush stored away from the fresh water hose. Also use the Clorox wipes prior to attaching to the city water connection. IMHO you can't be TOO Careful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9360.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	27726  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

For the cost of a cheap garden hose ($10?) and the extra couple of minutes to swap it out seems like a small price to pay in my opinion to eliminate any possibility of cross contamination.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Bill-2020

I have a black hose from Lowes or HD, black rubber garden hose, 15 foot I think or maybe it's 25. Anyway, it's black and that's the hose I use for the flush. I did have two of the white hoses... used one for fresh and the other was kept with the other sewer stuff. One day I rolled both up and set them aside separated, they were then put away and I thought I had mistakenly swapped them into the wrong container. I threw both of them out, bought a new fresh water line and a black for for the black tank flush. No more guessing!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Most campgrounds with dumping stations have two water connections, one for potable (drinking water) and the other non-potable. I don’t know the source of non-potable so my drinking water hose does not get connected. I have a separate orange hose that is flush-only. A separate hose is worth the health of my family if there is even a remote risk of dysentery or giardia or cholera.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Northofu1

I use an orange hose for black tank flush and white for drinking water. I also use a Y at the post when staying somewhere for a week or more.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #9
LHaven

I use one of those accordion hoses for black tank flush, occasionally for wash&wax duty, and pretty much nothing else. Those are the only two RVing operations I've ever been able to imagine this kind of hose working for. For a hose I really don't use that often, it's really light and takes up next to no room whatsoever. Mine fits in a small (5 lb.) pool-chemical bucket. I treat it as 100% non-potable.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
Steve's 70-5

Is the Y you use rated for drinking water or is it one you find in a garden shop

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank