Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
LadyFaire

Need a new stabilizer jack

Took my Summerland to get new tires and left it overnight, since it is a 2 hour drive each way. Went back today to pick it up, and it was all ready - 5 new tires, mounted and balanced! YAY! They hooked me up and I hit the road. Got the camper home and in the driveway, and started setting it up. The right front stabilizer jack buckled as soon as strain was placed on it. I imagine the youngster at the garage used the jacks to change the tires! What I would like to know is what size/weight jacks I should get. I assume I should change both front jacks, instead of just the one. My camper has a GVWR of ~7800 pounds.

Suggestions??

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

First: call the tire place and figure out what happened. Second: check everything VERY carefully since they are stabilizing jacks at most and the trailer frame isn’t designed or built for having them used for leveling. You could have a bent frame, popped panels, pulled screws, broken joints, gaps in sealants, etc. Third: whatever jacks you buy, get them in a pair at a minimum, but since the factory ones are cheap quality I would get 4 upgraded ones. Good luck with everything!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Measure the jacks length when retracted. And then if you have to buy them, not the tires shop, get the heaviest rated ones you can get. They come in pairs so your going to be buying at least two. I would probably replace all 4.

If the tire shop did use them, I hope they step up and admit it.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
LadyFaire

Thanks, folks! You've confirmed my original 'guesstimate' and the tire shop WILL be hearing from me in the morning. Along the lines of "would you care to explain exactly how my stabilizing jack got mangled????"

Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #5
LadyFaire

One more question, please? The load rating on a stabilizer jack. Is that EACH or for the pair? I see jacks that say 5,000 or 6,500 or 10,000 pounds and don't know. The description doesn't SAY, so apparently they expect the buyer to know. Personally, I'd rather have overkill than borderline or 'sufficient'.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

While I'd agree that "anything is possible", I wouldn't suspect that the tire shop used the stabilizer jacks to "lift the trailer high enough to change the tires"... Typically, the 24" jacks at each end of the frame rails are not tall enough, strong enough or capable of lifting the trailer high enough to even get the tires to clear the ground.

So, I'd suspect that the tire shop used floor jacks under each axle spring pack to lift the tires off the ground, then changed out the tires and reinstalled them on the trailer, moved to the other side and did the same thing there...

As to how the stabilizers got damaged ??? It's entirely possible that they moved the trailer to a place where the stabilizers got bent by a concrete curb, they could have "run into a wheel laying on the ground" or any other types of damage. I'm not suggesting that the tire shop didn't damage the stabilizers, rather I'm saying that I don't know of any "crank up scissors stabilizers" that are strong enough to lift the trailer tires off the ground and even if they were capable of doing that, it's much more time consuming and difficult for the tire shop to even try that process... Two floor jacks and 4 pumps on each, the tires are 2" off the ground.

I don't think there's any possibility that they "bent the stabilizers trying to lift the trailer to change tires".....

As an alternative, it's entirely possible that the OP may have bent the stabilizers towing the trailer to the tire shop or even bent them on a "rise in the approach to the storage area or tire shop" on the way there or back home.... I'd do some more "route searching" and "trip recall" before raising too much hell with the tire shop... They may be completely innocent in this situation.... Then again, maybe not.... Don't jump to any conclusions....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
LadyFaire

I honestly don't know HOW the jack was damaged. I only know it wasn't when I took the camper to them, and I've been excessively careful when pulling the trailer anywhere, since I'm still getting used to it.

The tire shop (spoke with them this AM) says they used floor jacks as you suggested. I don't know. I'm just going to replace all 4 jacks and get the biggest, strongest ones I can afford. It certainly was sickening when the entire camper SLID to the right when the jack collapsed. And yes, it is on level ground/pavement.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If the jack "slid to the right" as the trailer collapsed (returned to normal height) you may have had the jacks too high ????

Typically, stabilizer jacks aren't capable of supporting very much trailer weight. What that means is that the trailer should be level side to side and front to back, then the stabilizer jacks are lowered until they contact the ground. Then, just "tightened until firm" (not cranked up to level another inch).

If the jack collapsed (bent) then you may have had them too tight. If the jack collapsed (the pin broke) then it's likely the same "too tight" problem, but you may be able to replace the pin with an appropriately sized bolt and keep the jack in service. I wouldn't try to repair a "bent" jack, but a "failed bolt" is easily repaired...

I guess it's, "How did the jack collapse" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
LadyFaire

Was just getting it set up. Basically, putting the jack down securely so that it offered support. Was leveling up just a bit (1/4 bubble). At that point, I had the rear jacks down, the left front jack down and was setting the right front. I don't know what you mean by too high, as I had only put 2 cranks on the jack. Not trying to lift the camper at all. Maybe I need to put foot pads under the jacks, but since it is on blacktop, I didn't think that was necessary. I thought there was supposed to be enough 'weight' on the jacks so that the camper didn't bobble about when you went inside.

I think I am trying to say one thing, and it isn't coming out right.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I think you are pursuing the proper course by just buying the stabilizers. There are too many ??? about how that stabilizer got bent but I would bet just about anything it wasn't bent by the tire shop using them to change tires.

I'm wondering why you're using the stabilizers to set the bubble for level? You should level the trailer then just run the stabilizers down enough to "stabilize" it. That won't eliminate the bouncing - they make a plethora of products to help with that but I've not encountered anything that will make it feel like a concrete slab.

When you say it collapsed and "slid" tells me there is something wrong with how they are being deployed. If the trailer is level and the stabilizers have just been run down enough to "stabilize" it is barely perceptible when one gets a little loose and has to be tightened. To "slide" and collapse sounds like they are being used improperly and overloaded. Will they support the full weight of the trailer? Absolutely not. They will fold and crinkle and make a pretty, mangled mess - don't ask me how I know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
LadyFaire

How do you 'level' a camper WITHOUT the jacks? I thought that was part of their function.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Use blocks (wood/plastic) for side to side then front jack for front/back. Once leveled deploy the stabilizers until they are "firmly" on the ground (again using some sort of blocks under them if they will sink or the height is too great).

Stabilizers are not leveling jacks; as in Ground Control 3.0, Level Up etc. which are meant to actually level the trailer AND act as stabilizers.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
ADQ K9

I damaged two of my stabilizer jacks by not chocking my wheels properly and the trailer rolled on me.
The replacements I bought from a local RV shop are rated at 2500# each for an 8800# GVW trailer. A set of 2 was close to $200 if I remember correctly. This is what the factory ones were rated at. The quality of the replacements is much better than the stock with sleeves around bolts connecting the jack to the mount. My mounts were tack welded to to the frame as well as being screwed. so I had to grind them off to mount the new ones in the original holes. and re-tack welded them with the help of a friend with a welder.
On the subject of leveling, I use Lynx Leveler blocks when parking and leveling from side to side putting the tire choks opposite of the levelers. I then disconnect and use the tongue jack to level fore and aft. It is after this that I deploy my stabilizer jacks
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

When you are setting up follow this procedure.
1. After parking get out and check side to side for level.
2. If it's not level, place plastic blocks or lumber in front or behind trailer tires and drive up on them. Adjust with more or less until level (or as close as you can get.
3. Chock trailer tires.
4. Use trailer tongue jack to make removing sway bars easier and unhitch truck BUT leave the safety chains on until you know trailer doesn't roll.
5. Remove safety chains, break away cable and trailer electric plug from truck.
6. Pull truck forward enough to clear trailer tongue from hitch ball.
7. Use trailer tongue jack to adjust front to back height until level.
8. Deploy stabilizers until SNUG. If you see the trailer start to rise then STOP.
9. Connect electric, water, sewer, cable etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

OP if the leveling part sounds a little hit and miss, guesstimation etc., that's because it is as you try to guess how many blocks you need to get x amount of bubble to move. Over time you will get a feel for it. Another thing you may want to look into are Andersen Levelers and a little unit called LevelMate Pro. Don't work for them or have any interest in them, I just bought them both and used them for a couple of long trips before I got rid of my bumper pull. Both were EXCELLENT choices that simplified setup and made it a breeze. No more bubbles, blocks etc. We really liked them. The Andersens are progressive levelers so you don't need to guess "how many", just keep pulling up the block until it shows level. The levelers can be used with bubbles too.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #16
mwemaxxowner

I use Camco leveling chocks, which are the same thing as the Anderson levelers, and a Woblr, which is the same thing as the level mate pro.

I have no trouble leveling the camper up with a level and blocks, but I LOVE doing it this new way! It's extremely quick. Sometimes the wife is frazzled and the kid is tired when we arrive at our destination. Any time I can save so we can get to relaxing is a blessing!
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #17
ozark traveler

FWIW, there seems to be some confusion about terms. Stabilizers are NOT JACKS. Follow flybouy's instructions. As far as I can tell you have only 1 jack and it is on the tongue and is for hitching and unhitching. After all else is finished when setting up camp lower stabilizers just enough to hold unit steady when walking around inside your coach.

Camping is a happy, joyful, learning event

John
Old 05-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #18
LadyFaire

I'm learning all SORTS of things. The previous campers I had didn't have ANY sort of stabilizers - far too long ago and they were too small. I appreciate the help, folks. I definitely NEED it.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #19
Steve d

I cant find any "tongue jack" on my fifth wheel.
Steve d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #20
LadyFaire

Youngest son bought me 4 new stabilizers. Purchased 10,000 pound ones, as he figured better too much than the opposite. Taking the camper to my mechanic next week to have the old ones removed and the new ones installed. Will be nice to not have THAT as a worry.

I appreciate the help, suggestions and advice from the more 'seasoned' members. Thank you so much!