Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Colorado603

Question Turning Radius Truck/Trailer

Hey Everybody! Hope your spring is going well and you're getting ready to head out camping soon!

I'm making a spot for my trailer on my property and have a few questions. I need to clear a path through trees and rocks to make this happen. I'm curious if anybody out there knows what a safe turning radius would be and how wide a path would work. Need to do a 180 degree turn.

I have -
Ram 1500 Crew with 6' bed
Springdale 1750

Any help is much appreciated! Have a great week.
Colorado603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

For my truck and trailer it's about a 3 acre field L.O.L. But seriously the only thing I can recommend is to go to a very large empty parking lot and experiment. You could take a bunch of paper lunch bags with about 1" of sand in them (to keep from blowing away. Start out straight and make your uturn while someone walks beside dropping bags as you go on each side.

After you have made the first run do it again to see if the layout works. If you're blazing a trail thru trees don't forget the rear overhang of the trailer will swing wide.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
skids

Also keep in mind that the spread axle trailers drag tires in tight turns. You dont want to leave stump remnants that will damage your sidewalls.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
LewisB

Are you considering a "circle drive" or are you going to make a 3 point turn? As suggested, laying it out in a parking lot is the best plan.

[off topic]: Does Allenspark still have a volunteer fire department? We stayed at a B&B in Allenspark years ago - about 1971 - because we had just gotten married. When the fire siren went off, people were jumping out of the windows of the Elks Club, loading up in the back of pickups, and heading out to fight a fire! Great fun!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
For my truck and trailer it's about a 3 acre field L.O.L. But seriously the only thing I can recommend is to go to a very large empty parking lot and experiment. You could take a bunch of paper lunch bags with about 1" of sand in them (to keep from blowing away. Start out straight and make your uturn while someone walks beside dropping bags as you go on each side.

After you have made the first run do it again to see if the layout works. If you're blazing a trail thru trees don't forget the rear overhang of the trailer will swing wide.
Then make it bigger, wider so you'll be good when you get the bigger, longer RV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Then make it bigger, wider so you'll be good when you get the bigger, longer RV.
AND, you'll still fit in 3 years when the trees on each side of the drive grow and their branches widen. It's not fun to "trim the trees" every year to protect your TPO roof and FILON sidewalls, even if you don't buy a new, bigger RV in a couple of years.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
AND, you'll still fit in 3 years when the trees on each side of the drive grow and their branches widen. It's not fun to "trim the trees" every year to protect your TPO roof and FILON sidewalls, even if you don't buy a new, bigger RV in a couple of years.....
Was thinking the same thing. I store ours at our daughter's house as the previous owner had a pad for their fiver. I have to back down a very narrow, long driveway with trees on one side. It's a right of way so can't cut trees down but can trim them back from extending over it.

It's a PIA to trim back all the growth from a football field length of driveway several times a year but it's free storage so there's that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote