Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
rwaustin

Full time resident.

How many people live in their trailer full time as their full-time home. And then how do you deal with pet's. Cats that is.
Any suggestions or stories would be helpful.
rwaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
rhagfo

Not sure of your question, our dog is a house dog and a Beagle, if we go out it either goes with us, or stays at home. She can easily go six hours without issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
notanlines

"how do you deal with pet's?" First, welcome to the forum. Pets are always one of our favorite subjects. Pets usually rank right behind tires, weights, generators and then pets. Your question is a little vague. Things weren't any different in our RV than at home other than he didn't have a dog-door and half an acre to run. He was just happy to be with us. How much space can a cat need? A litter box, a bed, and you buy him a mouse/toy now and then, We see dozens of RV'ers with cats, and a few walk them on leashes. None let them out at night. NOT a good habit.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Huntme

my trailer was my dog house,my last dog lived in it for 8 years,till she died,she was loved,happy,and content,she was a husky,Australian Shepard mix.

she was 50 pounds of fur,and love,and a cheese eater allso.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:11 AM   #5
Roscommon48

What are you asking??????
there are a lot of people living in their trailer.

As for your 'cat' what are you asking? The cat lives in your trailer just like a house. As for vet issues you have to deal with different vets if you are traveling throughout the country.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #6
SummitPond

We have a Maine Coon mix. About 15 pounds. Gives meaning to the term "fat cat". She doesn't like to travel, but she tolerates it. Litter box is in the shower, and when we want to take a shower it is easily moved temporarily. We keep covers on the couch and dinette seats, and block her from the "bedroom" area (we don't want the litter that is caught in her paws in the bed). She has her toys, occasionally chases her tail all over, but she's getting on in years (~14 years) so she's not nearly as active as she used to be. In a normal season we'd be on the road already, taking about a month to get from point A to point B, and then maybe half that time getting from point B back to point A, so we're definitely not full timers, but as far as the cat is concerned we must be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083 2019-10-26 Fermi in trailer.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	27126  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
travelin texans

We've watched pet owners, dogs & cats, park close by & begin the hour+ chore of putting up temporary fencing or long clear flexible tubing with either holes cut into their RVs (no way would I do this) or they put them into to have them outdoors for an overnight stop. Saw a fellow had built a screened box that he hung onto a open window for the cat to sit in outside. All depends on what you want to do for your pet.
As mentioned though pets in your RV are no different than having them in your house, with a couple exceptions, at a RV park they must always be on a leash if outdoors, NEVER left outdoors unattended & YOU must pick up after them even if not on your site, basically follow ALL park pet regulations.
Saw a couple different RV park reviews that they gave the park poor reviews because "they didn't offer FREE dog poop bags", if you have a pet bring your own.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems pretty straight forward to me me.

Step 1 - read cg rules concerning pets

Step 2 - follow the rules from step 1.

Did I omit anything?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
dutchmensport

We still live in our stick-n-brick house, but we have always been able to park our campers at home, and we have always used them 24x7x365, as much as possible. We have had pets over the years, everything imaginable from pet chickens to fish, and yes, they all went camping with us.

Our cat absolutely loves our camper. Actually, our cat loves ME. Wherever I am, that is where he wants to be. Because we spend so much time in the camper (driveway camp at home), the camper is as much "home" to him as our house is. Actually, he will sit on the trailer step wanting in, if we are all outside. He'd rather go tot he camper than the house.

We have a litter box in the camper all the time. And the cat knows the difference when we are parked at home or when we are parked at a strange (to him) location, other than home. It took some conditioning, but he learned to be fearful of stepping outside the trailer when we are not home. And he knows the difference. So, we never have to worry about him attempting to bolt out the door when we are camping away from home.

Food, water, and lots of loving, and the cat is happy. We also currently have dogs. One died just about a month ago, so we are down to just one. But even the dogs know when bed time rolls around and if we are in the house, they (dogs and cat) all start making commotions to go out to the camper.

This did not just happen over-night. It has taken years for such conditioning and repetitive actions with them. When we do hit the road, all the critters know they are somewhere different, but the familiarity of the inside of the camper is their safe haven, their home, so they have no desire to escape or run away.

I think, in order for this to work, and work well with your pets, is to have a 100% bond with them in the first place. Doing so, and they will want to be wherever you are.