Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
JimJan

Heading home

Well we stayed in place in Florida through, almost, the 30 day stay in place order.
Heading home got 1 hour and a blow out. Put on the spare, called ahead and got a new one installed. 2 hours later a second delamination. So put the spare back on.
Called ahead for campgrounds and tires. Turns out South Carolina requires 14 day stays, no overnights. Drove real slow to Charolette NC without a spare to an open campground. Ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance to be installed tomorrow.
Our Westlake tires are 3 years old and a lot of tread. I have sensors on all wheels. Got no warning, just a bang from the first with shredded steel mesh. The second was a slight pull back where the tire tread pealed off. Still has good pressure, no rubber. Both on the rear axle.
Never thought going home would be so difficult.
Going to be a lot of sheet metal and black under laminate to replace. Yuck.
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:07 AM   #2
notanlines

Jim, you've been a member here a long time. You knew the pitfalls with your Westlakes. But I am glad you came on here to 'testify' as to the usefulness of your TPMS. Generally they are only useful to tell you that 'Hey, Driver: You've got a flat! Pull over!" Not always, but little more than that. Yes, I use one, but rely on it very little.
Now that I've gotten the we told you so's out of the way I'll say we're glad you made it home. Just in time to maybe make a race in Charlotte in a couple weeks or so.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:46 AM   #3
Roscommon48

welcome to rving. This seems to happen a lot, that god for insurance if body damage.

when replacing tires I always suggest that people upgrading their tire rating to help protect from blowouts.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
JimJan

Yes, I know, just needed one last trip home!
Tires 3 years installed but were made on 25th week of 2016, almost 4 years old and of course with new looking tread.
Know where I can get some lower sheet panels?
10 more hours to get home, looks like another camping night somewhere north by the time the tires are installed.
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote