Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
DebGot

2024 cougar 23 mLe

We are considering purchasing the Cougar 23 mLe We would be downsizing from a jayco 317 RLOK which will be a huge change No bed slide out smaller outdoor kitchen Etc but we are looking to go to a smaller more manageable unit and feel this ticks the boxes. We are debating between the booth dinette and the table. Our salesman seems to be pushing the table as it allows a more open space by the door for entering and exiting but I’m thinking that the extra storage under the benches might come in handy since I’m used to a lot more space. I have not actually seen a unit with the booth just pictures. Any thoughts from current owners and any pros and cons to this unit would be appreciated
DebGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:17 AM   #2
cougar23

We have the 23MLE also. The storage under the seats is a big plus in my opinion. This storage frees up storage room in the pass thru. My wife does not care for the griddle in the outdoor kitchen so we carry a small portable grill which we connect to camper propane line. We use the outside fridge for extra drinks. We have owned 3 camping trailers and 2 motorhomes, we like the 23MLE the best.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
DebGot

Thanks for the great info we also carry a portable griddle so would remove the Included one And probabky make a drawer for cooking utensils I like that the fridge will run off the inverter that’s a plus Not crazy about the short queen bed but we aren’t tall people I really think I may go with the booth I like the shoe storage inside the door Always tripping g over shoes Definately less closet space than we are used to but my husband really likes the fact it’s 8 feet shorter and at least a foot lower than our current fifth wheel
And you don’t find the doorway right going in and out ?
Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM   #4
LadyCPA

My 2 cents worth... Are you used to booth seating? Hubby and I are not comfortable in most booths, whether in an RV or a restaurant. We found a floor plan where the bench seat with storage is against the wall, and we have room for 2 chairs around the table. And then we went to multiple stores to find kitchen chairs that we liked. Storage is great, but we have to be comfy sitting at our table, since a dining table was a must have for many functions.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:07 AM   #5
DebGot

I like your thinking our dealership currently has a model in with table and chairs which is what we have had in out last couple of units It does make the space seem more open than with the bench
Old 03-03-2024, 05:19 PM   #6
ChrisA

We've had our 23MLE since November. The storage is definitely nice along with a spot for the shoes underneath. The dinette is not as wide or as our last camper but works. I did however replace the bottom cushion with high-density foam which is much firmer. I found that I would sink to the plywood base at times (200# here). I'm also considering firming up the table. The mechanism that's underneath to raise and lower it (to make it into a bed) is a little wobbly. Still we like it over a table and chairs.
ChrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
RacerX

Unfortunately….or fortunately have experience with both. Ordered our Cougar with the booth it came with the free standing dinette and chairs. Keystone sent parts out and I retrofitted back to booth. But I did add a skoatch more room width and depth when I put the benches in. (More hip/shoulder and belly room….). So we had time to try both in real world camping.

We wanted storage, extra bed position if needed and did not like having to tie down the chairs for each move.

We are pleased with our choice to go back to bench despite the extra work to get there.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:30 PM   #8
DebGot

Just found out that the table can actully pivot So it can be turned and will fit against the wall I haven’t been to check it out yet but was thinking we would turn it and purchase a bench then would face out the window when sitting at it
Old 03-06-2024, 07:53 AM   #9
DebGot

23MLE vs26 mle

We are still looking and debating. We like the 23 mle. Except after coming from 3 rigs with bed slide outs the bedroom just seems so tight. I would consider putting a double bed into it just to have space. We are currently waiting on our dealership to bring in a 26 mle with the bed slide. Any input on owners of that unit
Old 03-07-2024, 08:19 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Part time in a 23MLE with bench dinette - I wish we had the table and chairs. Only need two chairs for DW and I. Yes, storage under one, the other is the shoe hut, all open under it on the back side so really you only have storage under the rearward bench. And there are two wood supports across the bench so only smaller items will fit between the supports. YMMV
Old 03-08-2024, 06:04 AM   #11
DebGot

I did not know that about the lack of storage in the benches I really think now that we know the table turns if we go with the 23 we will turn the table znd buy a bench My biggest issue though is with the size of the bedroom
Old 03-08-2024, 07:10 AM   #12
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
We are considering purchasing the Cougar 23 mLe We would be downsizing from a jayco 317 RLOK which will be a huge change No bed slide out smaller outdoor kitchen Etc but we are looking to go to a smaller more manageable unit and feel this ticks the boxes. We are debating between the booth dinette and the table. Our salesman seems to be pushing the table as it allows a more open space by the door for entering and exiting but I’m thinking that the extra storage under the benches might come in handy since I’m used to a lot more space. I have not actually seen a unit with the booth just pictures. Any thoughts from current owners and any pros and cons to this unit would be appreciated
DebGot, this is my 2 cents as well.... I have the both on my unit 24RDS, and i wish it would have been the free standing table and chairs. Reason why is, I would pull the chairs out and replace them with those soft cushion ottoman like units that have the flip up lid with storage in them. They are way more comfy than the booth and chairs. like these https://www.amazon.com/HomePop-Uphol.../dp/B071Z26TV6

2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:38 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
Just found out that the table can actully pivot So it can be turned and will fit against the wall I haven’t been to check it out yet but was thinking we would turn it and purchase a bench then would face out the window when sitting at it
Don't count on that in future trailers because someone has that in a "past trailer"... Keystone changes furniture styles like most people change underwear. As the production run enters any day, if there's a supply chain issue, in this case with the table, the line supervisor will send someone next door to the Outback line or the Bullet line and borrow enough tables to get through the day. So, producing, as an example, 20 units per day, on that specific day, there may have been 8 units with the "intended table" and 12 units with Bullet tables.

So, the "general availability with a table that rotates" may be true, during the model year run, there may well be days when no tables that rotate were available and substitutes were installed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:20 AM   #14
DebGot

Cougar 26mle

Anyone have experience or input wth this model? It’s new so not many out there. Waiting on our dealer to get one in.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:05 AM   #15
T-Time

Hello DebGot, we have a Jayco too, and we are seriously considering the 23MLE. We have looked at two now. Last year, a 2023 model at a RV show, and a 2024 version this past weekend. Both had the same floor plan and options. DW and I really like it, there are a few minor misses, but nothing I cannot make work.

I would go with the dinette booth. I find dinning room chairs terribly uncomfortable, with the booth, you can sit a few different ways on it. It can also be a back up bed if someone (kid/grandkid comes along). As for the booth, there is a LOT of support members under the bench, personally I would modify it, so it would be easier to get stuff in and out of the rear booth. The forward both, I would also modify to add a shelf above the shoe section, for more manageable storage, that would only be accessible from above.

As for the bedroom, 99.9% of the time, I'm sleeping, so I am fine without having a ton of room around the bed. I will be assigned the side next to the wardrobe, I fully expect I would just put my knee on the end of the bed, and "crawl/fall" in. I doubt I would walk along side.

Looks like the cabinets frames are made of MDF, I found a few upper cabinets that exposed end cuts without the finish tape on it.

Looks like they eliminated a 120v and 12v outlet from above the kitchen table, there was one under each side of the TV cabinet on the 2023 model. 2024 only had it on the rear booth side. I would make a lot of power changes to this whole cabinet.

Front pass through cargo hold, bonus, they changed out the carpet to a rubber mat, including added a plastic loading zone area next to the cargo door with a screw cap for cables, etc on the camp side.

The unit we looked at this weekend had just arrived, it had Goodyear tires on it, and the i-command system. Personally they could get rid of i-command and go back to only switches. On delivery this 2024 model to the dealership it had a tire blowout on the camp side. The lower trim was completely destroyed the length of the trailer from nose to bumper. I closely looked at the wheel well, it had zero signs of any damage (big bonus). The dealership was waiting on parts, so we got to see it in its less desirable state.

Be aware it is a two headed sewer monster. There is sewer connection in the rear for the kitchen and another midship, for the bathroom.

The low point FW tank drain, is way inboard, and looks to be difficult to reach, if you have any mobility issues it would only be worse. This would need to be modified and it would not be hard.

2024 model we looked at has ABS brakes, I could not find any advertisement stating it was a feature. I think that could be a big bonus.

Both years we looked at had the theater seating, I like that. I liked the 2024 seating setup better. It had a fold down center armrest, and the usb charge ports and controls were in a better location.

We are going to look at another SOB 5ver this weekend that is similar in size, but I suspect the DW and I will order this unit this fall.

Good Luck

Considering a Cougar 22MLE & 27SGS
T-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:45 AM   #16
NH_Bulldog

Just a quick observation; if the lower trim was damaged from the nose to the rear and the dealer claimed a tire blow-out but there is no damage to the under board in the wheel area, that tells me that someone side-swiped the unit, or the delivery folks pulled too tight of a corner and raked the side of the trailer against an immoveable object, ripping/deflating the tire in the process. That is one unit that I would steer well clear of considering the likelihood of hidden structural damage and misaligned axles and running gear.

A lot of issues may not become evident until after it has been used for a few months, at which point the dealer has plausible deniability to say it was fine when it left the lot, must have been something you did to it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #17
T-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Just a quick observation; if the lower trim was damaged from the nose to the rear and the dealer claimed a tire blow-out but there is no damage to the under board in the wheel area, that tells me that someone side-swiped the unit, or the delivery folks pulled too tight of a corner and raked the side of the trailer against an immoveable object, ripping/deflating the tire in the process. That is one unit that I would steer well clear of considering the likelihood of hidden structural damage and misaligned axles and running gear.

A lot of issues may not become evident until after it has been used for a few months, at which point the dealer has plausible deniability to say it was fine when it left the lot, must have been something you did to it.
Sad part the dealer said it is a sold unit, just not fully paid for yet, hence why they let us tour the unit.

It did not look as it was sideswiped or was scraped. It was weird how all the lower trim molding was off, including a short piece between the front cargo hold and the propane tank. The trim and fender was in the pass through, so I looked at it all. No reason for it to be gone for a simple blowout. I really looked like someone just yanked it off. I looked at the spare tire, and it still had its OEM sticker on the tread. But maybe the dealer swapped the tire from the spare to the aluminum rim????????

Considering a Cougar 22MLE & 27SGS
T-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:52 PM   #18
NH_Bulldog

The tires should be 4 Goodyear Endurance on aluminum wheels and the spare should be a Trailer King on a steel wheel so it should be easy to tell
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:01 PM   #19
cougar23

"Two headed sewer monster"
I like the fact that my 23MLE has 2 grey tanks. I fitted the kitchen tank with a garden hose cap and just run a dedicated garden hose to the sewer inlet. I leave the tank valve open. As for the "shoe storage area" it is just the wife and I so use a short plastic tub about 24 in. square for odds & ends storage under here. I also keep a plastic tool box here with room between for our shoes. I like the idea of a shelf and will add one.
For the rear bench storage I keep a 50 Amp cord, dog bone adapters, folding ironing board, clothes iron, small air compressor [120 psi max.] and camper manuals. The cross bracing does not interfer with these items.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar