Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2024, 03:35 PM   #1
Jeff56

Question batteries keep draining

Hi I have Courage fifth wheel 27SGS 2021. I had to replace both batteries last year and I use the camper the first week of Dec. 2023. Went to check on it today and both batteries and drained again... I always switch the power off to the trailer each use ... Any ideas? What is going on ????
Jeff56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
MrWizard1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Hi I have Courage fifth wheel 27SGS 2021. I had to replace both batteries last year and I use the camper the first week of Dec. 2023. Went to check on it today and both batteries and drained again... I always switch the power off to the trailer each use ... Any ideas? What is going on ????
We just picked up our 2021 Cougar Half-Ton 29MBS on the 14th and the one thing I noticed right away was that even with the main power disconnect turned off there was still power to the auto leveling system, so that means that system is direct wired to the batteries and perhaps you either have that system turned on and not noticing it or there is a dead short in that system.
MrWizard1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:57 PM   #3
Jeff56

I will definitely check it out tomorrow.. Thanks
Old 02-24-2024, 04:01 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

There are parasitic loads that are wired to bypass the disconnect. The ONLY way to eliminate that phantom draw is to completely disconnect the wires from the batteries themselves.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:05 PM   #5
RJS3791RD

Good evening. In my experience. Unless I either have a solar or an electric battery tender, the only sure way to keep the batteries from draining is to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery. There are several system, including carbon monoxide detectors that are “hard wired” and are not disconnected through the battery switch.
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

As others have noted the batteries are being used for various functions ALL the time no matter if the disconnect is on or off. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery if you are going to just leave it idle or put a battery tender on it. I leave mine plugged in year round and just check battery water levels.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:02 PM   #7
Jeff56

do you think a "top post knife blade master switch will solve the problem?
Old 02-24-2024, 05:16 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Probably but introduces another point of failure so keep an eye on that switch. I usually have my camper hooked up to shore power. Sis & BIL used my parking spot and I pulled the trailer into the cul-de-sac into the grass. Went in several days later and the gas detector was chirping and the battery dead. The gas detector and various other small draws killed my battery. I then pulled an extension cord down the hill and hooked up a battery charger/tender and the battery came back up and all was fine.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:20 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
I prefer the rotary style attached between the ground terminal and ground.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:31 AM   #10
JABURKHOLDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
Good evening. In my experience. Unless I either have a solar or an electric battery tender, the only sure way to keep the batteries from draining is to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery.
There is a spark potential on the positive side. Always disconnect the negative side first.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:58 AM   #11
Mikelff

Quote:
Short answer is yes. That is what I have done and no battery drain. I also keep a battery tender connected to maintain the charge. Problem solved.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:04 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
There is a spark potential on the positive side. Always disconnect the negative side first.
Please cite your source on this “statement”.

The spark is caused by the potential difference at the connection and no matter the order, the voltage potential is the same, hence why the chance of a spark occurring is still the same regardless of which terminal is disconnected (or connected) first.

Try as you might, you cannot defy the laws of physics.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:18 AM   #13
JABURKHOLDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Please cite your source on this “statement”.

The spark is caused by the potential difference at the connection and no matter the order, the voltage potential is the same, hence why the chance of a spark occurring is still the same regardless of which terminal is disconnected (or connected) first.

Try as you might, you cannot defy the laws of physics.
20 + years as an electronics technician plus Department of Labor certified Journyman as Electronics Mechanic

As a side note, while wrenching on the positive post, accidentally touch some metal with the wrench. Instant weld. Do the same thing on the negative post and you get nothing.
Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. In the unlikely event the Chief is mistaken, immediately refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:39 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

I appreciate you sharing your resumé, but the undeniable fact remains that the spark is caused by the potential difference at the connection and no matter the order, the voltage potential is the same, hence why the chance of a spark occurring is still the same regardless of which terminal is disconnected (or connected) first.

Where we do agree is that touching a wrench from the positive terminal to a ground will create an arc/spark/weld. However, it will not do that if there is no ground connected, such as when the negative terminal is disconnected first. So to that point, you are absolutely correct (but begs the question, does any of that change if the shore power cord is connected)?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 02-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #15
Bill-2020

I swear I’ve had/seen sparks from reconnecting the negative side of a battery. Half of me wants to walk to the trailer and try it.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:43 PM   #16
LHaven

Either side will possibly spark when disconnected.

I prefer disconnecting the negative first mainly because the positive is prone to having multiple cables on it (coach, tongue jack, whatever gizmos the owner added), whereas the negative typically has only one, so there's only one potential spark incident instead of several.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:53 PM   #17
GlasNav

Does any of this correlate to a deckhand that worked for my brother, his nick name was "Sparky"?

My best attempt at a Monty Python esque response!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:29 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Disconnect positive or negative - makes no difference. If there is a load, which there always is with the parasitic devices on an RV, it matters not which cable is connected/reconnected. The load; switch turned on, hard wired device etc. is always sitting there ready to complete the circuit. You can disconnect the positive side then reconnect....it will spark because the load circuit is there and was completed. Do the same thing with the negative cable and the same thing happens - the load/completion of the circuit causes the spark and happens no matter which end you try to connect.

Sort of like having a 30A load on a switch that is "on". Disconnect the leads then reconnect one then the other....doesn't matter which side you connect last the load is sitting there waiting for something to complete the circuit....and it can/will spark, or for a different example; take a light switch, disconnect one side or the other and turn the switch on, wet your fingers then touch the disconnected wire and the terminal on the switch with your fingers - a buzz. Doesn't matter which side you try it's the same as the spark on the battery.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:20 AM   #19
Stircrazy

Quote:
there are several parasitic loads, the co2 detector, the brains for the unit and such. best thing is to plug it in or put a solar system on it to maintain it.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain