Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm thinking not "stuck" using weight info from 15 years ago. Those numbers are still relevant in many, many (probably most) trucks. GM just started "massaging" those numbers in the last year or so on their trucks and unless a poster actually shows his truck numbers the only ones to go by are historicals. So no, not stuck in the past, just using realistic numbers based on history when someone doesn't give specifics.
I am with RollaMo, if it is a Ford or GM after 2020 it likely has the higher GVWR. There might be local laws that don’t allow a 350/3500 badged truck in the driveway. This is a loophole in those rules.
As far as I am aware Ram is the only 2500 that doesn’t exceed the 10,000# GVWR.
Another point to ponder in 2013 the Ram 3500 DRW went from 12,300# GVWR to 14,000# GVWR. At the same time the 3500 SRW went from 11,500 GVWR to 12,300# GVWR, go figure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am with RollaMo, if it is a Ford or GM after 2020 it likely has the higher GVWR. There might be local laws that don’t allow a 350/3500 badged truck in the driveway. This is a loophole in those rules.
As far as I am aware Ram is the only 2500 that doesn’t exceed the 10,000# GVWR.
Another point to ponder in 2013 the Ram 3500 DRW went from 12,300# GVWR to 14,000# GVWR. At the same time the 3500 SRW went from 11,500 GVWR to 12,300# GVWR, go figure.

If one is going to try to "assume" payloads 1) the safest thing to do is assume the lower payload and 2) base that on historicals without valid documentation of the truck. Yes, some of the newer trucks are pushing the envelope in various ways but unless the poster says what that payload is, again based on historicals, the only safe way to even suggest weights is using the older numbers. Right, wrong, indifferent? Asking the question does not immediately make the person questioning in the wrong...it has to be sorted out by the one with the truck. JMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:56 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

I commented about the difference in payload and tongue weight at 150 lbs which indicates they are assuming a 150 lb person. Seldom see a 150 lb driver these days. Reading more into it and attempting to start an argument isn't productive. Out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:58 AM   #24
RollaMo

Quote:
GM just started "massaging" those numbers in the last year or so on their trucks and unless a poster actually shows his truck numbers the only ones to go by are historicals. So no, not stuck in the past, just using realistic numbers based on history when someone doesn't give specifics.
But in this case the OP did list the actual truck numbers.

Quote:
If one is going to try to "assume" payloads 1) the safest thing to do is assume the lower payload and 2) base that on historicals without valid documentation of the truck. Yes, some of the newer trucks are pushing the envelope in various ways but unless the poster says what that payload is, again based on historicals, the only safe way to even suggest weights is using the older numbers. Right, wrong, indifferent? Asking the question does not immediately make the person questioning in the wrong...it has to be sorted out by the one with the truck. JMO.
In the very first post the exact truck and trailer combo is listed.
In post #5 he put up a picture of the sticker right from his trucks door.

I don’t see where anyone was “assuming” anything?
Old 06-15-2023, 05:04 AM   #25
notanlines

Can we just say that Rolla is right? These things are important to some members and then we can get back to the OP and his new toy. He has a new TV, a new fifth-wheel, the pin weight falls into the envelope so away we go.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Can we just say that Rolla is right? These things are important to some members and then we can get back to the OP and his new toy. He has a new TV, a new fifth-wheel, the pin weight falls into the envelope so away we go.
X2!
Enough said
Old 06-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #27
dutchmensport

Traveler2023, you should have picked up the new camper by now. How did it go? Share your excitement, we want to hear!
Old 06-15-2023, 09:37 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
But in this case the OP did list the actual truck numbers.

In the very first post the exact truck and trailer combo is listed.
In post #5 he put up a picture of the sticker right from his trucks door.

I don’t see where anyone was “assuming” anything?

Yes, this has been discussed enough and I hope the OP has gotten the trailer. I will point out that the post referenced as being "in the past" referred exactly to the numbers on that placard and were accurate. Look at the max tongue weight for 5th wheel on the placard, look at the max payload on the placard and subtract = 150lbs. +/-. Now read post #6. No assumption there that I see.

OP sorry for the misdirection in the conversation. Have you picked up that trailer and do you already have the 2024 Silverado? Are they here already?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #29
DAMILLER_SR

Pdi

I'm sure that this has been mentioned somewhere in here, but I don't have time to read every post. So I'm going to say it to make sure that it's clear, everything that's wrong with your trailer before you buy it is their problem, after you write the check and hand it over, those things become your problem, even if they're covered under warranty nobody wants to pay tens of thousands of dollars for their arbita sit in the repair shop. Do an extremely thorough pre-delivery inspection, there are plenty of lists all over the internet on what you should be checking. The first thing I would do is essentially Boondock in the dealerships parking lot trying everything out. Jm2c
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:28 AM   #30
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:26 AM   #31
Travelers2023

Perfect first camping trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Traveler2023, you should have picked up the new camper by now. How did it go? Share your excitement, we want to hear!
We picked up the RV last Wednesday and everything went great. Got it to the campground and set it up, I love the auto leveling. Truthfully other than one glitch with the awning, which I fixed easily everything went perfect. We absolutely love the Cougar 316RLS so far.

Towing was easy, except for what seemed like 100 red lights in a 15 mile stretch, my truck squatted less than an inch, but I’m still having air bags installed Friday. Today we go home and it’s a 100 mile trip, plus I’ll stop and have everything weighed. I’ll let you know how we do.
Travelers2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:52 AM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers2023 View Post
We picked up the RV last Wednesday and everything went great. Got it to the campground and set it up, I love the auto leveling. Truthfully other than one glitch with the awning, which I fixed easily everything went perfect. We absolutely love the Cougar 316RLS so far.

Towing was easy, except for what seemed like 100 red lights in a 15 mile stretch, my truck squatted less than an inch, but I’m still having air bags installed Friday. Today we go home and it’s a 100 mile trip, plus I’ll stop and have everything weighed. I’ll let you know how we do.
Good to hear on the trip, but with only 1” of squat why install air bags?
If you feel a bit too much bounce at bridge transitions put some Bilstein shocks.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #33
Travelers2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Good to hear on the trip, but with only 1” of squat why install air bags?
If you feel a bit too much bounce at bridge transitions put some Bilstein shocks.
Just tweaking my set up a bit, my B&W hitch needs to be set up higher. I’ve already ordered the air bags so I would rather be safe and go ahead and put them on.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #34
Travelers2023

Thank you

I just want to tell all of you thanks for your advice and ideas. We’ve owned a pull behind travel trailer for 12 years and I know all the ends and outs of it. Even though we’ve been researching everything about fifth wheels for months it’s was and is a challenge right now. All of your knowledge made the process so much easier. Thank you, again!

Went through the transition about 3 1/2 years ago. Never wanted a 5th wheel and figured I'd never own one and ??? here we are.

Get the hitch/trailer setup ironed out, suspension on the truck as you're working on then get used to the backing as it's different than a bumper pull. After that it's clear sailing with the exception of more room and easier towing. Have fun.

Tags
fifth wheel