Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2023, 07:55 AM   #41
Essvar

Things I wish I had.... As others have already said, skip the 2500 if you are ordering new.

Other Stuff: (Above Standard Laramie Package)

Rear Cargo Camera
Auto Leveling Rear Suspension
12" Screen
50 Gallon Tank
Anti-Slip Rear Diff
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:59 AM   #42
dutchmensport

I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was in town. I took the dually to the lumber yard so I could haul some 8 foot long boards in the bed without having them hang out the back, like my short bed truck does. When I came out of the store I glanced at my truck and realized there is ONE more thing you can add to that new truck, regardless if it's a 2500, 250, 3500, 350, dually, or single .... get mud flaps installed on the wheel wells if yours does not come with them. This is another item you'll never regret having, regardless of what make, model, brand, or size towing truck you have. .... mud flaps in the wheel-wells, all 4 (or 6) tires.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

OK... if you have to give lists, cow catcher on the front to give you half a chance of surviving a deer attack and fuzzy dice on the mirror to add to the coolness factor. I actually have added those two items as well as rails to help an old person to get in the cab (me) but I think those have been mentioned.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK... if you have to give lists, cow catcher on the front to give you half a chance of surviving a deer attack and fuzzy dice on the mirror to add to the coolness factor. I actually have added those two items as well as rails to help an old person to get in the cab (me) but I think those have been mentioned.
Love the Fuzzy Dice!
You can’t mention running boards too often. DW made me installing a set on our 2001 Ram 4x4 2500 as a condition of buying it.
The 2016 had them when we bought it.
I had a brain cramp the other day and tried to step directly into the cab floor, I know why we have running boards.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:53 AM   #45
notanlines

I also recommend the factory installed mud flaps. After some sorry dog stole my Rock Tamers (Who steals Rock Tamers right off the truck?) I had to have an after-market company install a permanent set right before our trip two years ago. I'm still fuming over the cost!
By the way, I thought fuzzy dice came standard in trucks these days......included with the expanded end tip exhaust pipe.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #46
travelin texans

Unless something has changed since I left, in Texas it was mandatory to have mud flaps on the rear of any vehicle with dual rear wheels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Unless something has changed since I left, in Texas it was mandatory to have mud flaps on the rear of any vehicle with dual rear wheels.
Correct. I was in the MVFD and took quite a few fire trucks with ripped off mud flaps and they failed safety inspection. These trucks were dual rear wheel. We had to take the trucks to the repair place the FD used and they charged a pretty penny to install a new mud flap (or flaps).
Old 02-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #48
Gretchen

Hello,
I want to thank you all for your options on the truck that I am looking to order. I have experience with tent camping and pulling a pop up tent trailer and driving a 27 foot Coachman RV, but the 5th wheel will be a new experience that I am looking forward to. As you all have experience with the 5th wheel set up I truly value your insight, of course I will add my lens to your suggestions regarding what is important to me both now and in the future. You have given me great things to consider.
A couple more questions..
1. What does OP stand for in this forum, I am sure when you tell me, I’ll say of course, but right now I can’t think of what it means.
2. For those of you who said you wanted a back window what opens, what are the scenarios where that comes in handy?
3. What about the truck bed cover, what are you using?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:53 PM   #49
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Hello,
I want to thank you all for your options on the truck that I am looking to order. I have experience with tent camping and pulling a pop up tent trailer and driving a 27 foot Coachman RV, but the 5th wheel will be a new experience that I am looking forward to. As you all have experience with the 5th wheel set up I truly value your insight, of course I will add my lens to your suggestions regarding what is important to me both now and in the future. You have given me great things to consider.
1. What does OP stand for in this forum, I am sure when you tell me, I’ll say of course, but right now I can’t think of what it means.
2. For those of you who said you wanted a back window what opens, what are the scenarios where that comes in handy?
1. OP stands for original poster (thread starter). 2. I have no idea why someone would want a back window. I don't really think I would want one. 3. "bed cover"? Are you talking about a coating? Most folks think bed mats are a bad idea in a non-coated truck bed. Moisture gets beneath and rust happens. Most folks with a new truck would want Rhino lining coating or similar. The selling dealer can probably set you up with a coating but you may be better off finding a Rhino lining dealer as the price may be less.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #50
Badbart56

(1) OP is original poster.

(2) Beats me! I don't have one either!

(3) I have a Pace Edwards Electric Bedlocker on mine. It covers the hitch and keeps everything in my bed secure.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #51
jasin1

Quote:
Hello,
the sliding back window is nice if you drive with windows down…it keeps the wind from making a helicopter sound and changes the flow of the air, it blows in thru the back window and helps equalize the air pressure in the cab..less turbulence
Old 02-07-2023, 04:14 PM   #52
rhagfo

We have the opening back window, don't use often, as in the PNW it rains a lot.

Bed cover, we have a simple vinyl roll-up cover that doesn't block rear view when stored. Yes, it can be cut, but keeps prying eyes out of the bed.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:53 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hello,

The OP question has been answered. The sliding back window is an acquired usage thing I guess. I've had them and not had them. The last 3 trucks (and others before) had them and I've never used it other than to speak to my wife while hitching unhitching. When young and liking wind in my hair I would open it with my windows for more circulation but I drove pickups for 64 years and most didn't have it....and didn't miss it. You may have a special purpose where it would be handy but only you would know that.

Truck bed cover - If talking bed liners get the coating from the manufacturer. Bed covers come in lots of types. I use a 4 section BakFlip cover that's a solid cover that supports 400lbs. on top IIRC. There are roll ups, electric roll ups, vinyl, floppy ones, solid ones, lockable ones, flimsy ones....you need to look into them and see what fits your needs. I chose mine because it's solid, hard to break into vs many of the others and lasts - it's on the 3rd (4th?) truck since I bought it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:29 AM   #54
GlasNav

I fully agree with those encouraging you to consider the 3500 from the beginning. It becomes costly when you purchase such a piece of equipment that fits the present need only to realize that when you decide to upgrade, the truck needs to be upgraded as well!
We had the first version of the F350 7.3 DI with waste gate turbo in the 1990s was powerful, stable and wish we still had it. The only issue was the toll charges in the Northeast, some toll booths charged for an additional axle with the dually when towing.
I believe the feature is standard on the larger RAMs, but make sure that it is equipped with the air lift system. The air bags level the suspension when you're loaded / towing, this keeps the vehicle level, provides increased overall control, and doesn't have your headlight searching for owls in the trees or blinding oncoming traffic. Good luck with your selection process!
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #55
travelin texans

I've had trucks with & without opening back windows, I would not pay extra for that option, but wouldn't turn down the truck if it had all the other options I wanted due to that back window.
If I were to buy another truck there would be 2 things that it would have,
#1 the Amp power steps, when you open the door it activates the step, close the door they fold back up. I know folks that live in snowy areas have problems with them freezing up, but I don't ever plan to be in those areas in the winter.
#2 the RollnLock bed cover. My son has this on his truck, unlock it & a slight push & it's completely opened or partially, pull the strap & it's closed. Supposedly able to stand in the middle of it without damage. You do lose about 8" of the top bed rail in the front for it to roll into.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #56
Oilfan97

Do you plan to do any boondocking? If so, you might consider an upgraded (or even dual) alternator. I've heard a few people say that they wished that they had this for camping.
Oilfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 AM   #57
notanlines

Has anyone been keeping up with a list of 'must-haves' for Gretchen? Near as I can tell she is up to, at the very least, a 3500 dually just to haul these options and $108,000.

Gretchen, at least you have some things to ponder. But it was fun spending your money for you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:44 AM   #58
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Has anyone been keeping up with a list of 'must-haves' for Gretchen? Near as I can tell she is up to, at the very least, a 3500 dually just to haul these options and $108,000.

Gretchen, at least you have some things to ponder. But it was fun spending your money for you!
LOL, yes we can do a great job of spending other members money!

I went out to the Ram truck site and as close as I could rebuilt our 2016 Ram Laramie DRW. Well the MSRP on ours was $69,005, the 2023 I built came to $89,870 and I didn't add the sunroof that we have a $1,000 option!
Old 02-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #59
Rocketsled

Quote:
Ah 2 votes for the 3500..I will test drive
Three. I suspect the reason 2500 trucks exist is to sell two trucks.

Went from a 2500 that was pulling a bumper pull at max payload to a 3500 dually that has 2000 lbs above any beyond pulling the trailer. Night and DAY improvement.

(2021 GMC 3500HD purchased in 2022 with 20,000 miles on the clock: $82k)
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #60
homer544

2500 gas

I have a 2019 gas ram 2500 and the same trailer. I wanted a diesel, wife said gas, she was right. 3077 lbs payload, $10 k cheaper, 10.5 mpg at 62 mph. Never getting a bigger trailer, in our 70's, just us and two little 4 footed kids. Truck goes a little slower up hills, but I'm not in a hurry. We start from Reno, so every trip starts uphill. Basically everything is less expensive than a diesel, fuel, maintenance, etc. We're on fixed income so costs are a big factor. If your situation is like ours, then this is the perfect truck, it's a Laramie with all the bells and whistles. Hope this helps
homer544 is offline   Reply With Quote