Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2023, 09:35 AM   #61
DocWMB

Larger UConnect screen with Bed and backup cameras and consider the cameras on the side mirrors as well. Puck system for mounting the fifth wheel hitch works well. Adaptive Cruise Control (although I don't use it for towing.) I also agree that the 3500 makes sense.
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:48 AM   #62
RobertS

Yep add a 3500.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #63
Whitty

Anti-sway bar

3500 because you will probably over load the trailer or up grade in the future. I currently drive a 3500 but last truck was a 2500. The two things that I will add to my future trucks and 5th wheel trailers. Anti-sway bar for the rear end on the truck and an air bag pin box on the trailer. Both are game changers in handling the extreme side of towing, which you will encounter.
Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #64
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Has anyone been keeping up with a list of 'must-haves' for Gretchen? Near as I can tell she is up to, at the very least, a 3500 dually just to haul these options and $108,000.

Gretchen, at least you have some things to ponder. But it was fun spending your money for you!
I think that is a very conservative estimate. The list just keeps growing!! What I want is someone to build me the truck with everything listed here and just give it to me. Now there's spending someone elses money!!! LOL Just let me know, when ya get er done, I'll tell ya where to have it delivered!!! MMMMM yes, my dream truck!!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #65
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
not speaking for sourdough but for me i can park my dually anywhere i want to..i can drive,maneuver and get down any street almost anywhere BUT i don’t like parking next to other vehicles or parallel parking with my fenders right up against traffic…
i’m a very good driver but alot of car drivers are not good at keeping it between the lines….why do you think they have foldable mirrors?

if you travel in the Northeast in little seaside towns or down in the Keys your often relegated to tight parking spaces..yeah i can fit..but the person that ordered the extra desert at the restaurant will be squeezing their behind along my fender to get to their suv…and god forbid if little kids are involved…Wife got a brand new Challenger RT in 2009…she parks up close with the rest of the pack…kid flung opened their door and hit my wifes door…Pain to try and get fixed and will never be right

That’s why i park away from everyone

( why do people insist on parking right next to a truck or car with 20 spaces all around???) frustrating
I drove a UPS truck for 34 years. I've had to drive up and down narrow driveways, narrow dirt roads, narrow lanes on multi-lane roads, parked in small shopping centers, small beach towns where the houses were a little smaller than my truck (so it seemed). There isn't a place on this planet that I haven't been able to park in yet. Even towing the trailer, I've been in some predicaments but never had a problem getting out of it, (like the time I pulled in to a guys backyard thinking it was the campground, the guy was used to it since I wasn't the first to do it). My Ram is the crew cab short bed and I can park that sucker anywhere, though I always choose to be as far away from anybody as much as possible, especially in my Church parking lot.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:38 PM   #66
Techmark

I agree with two of the previous replies. I have a 2020 2500 Bighorn (Gas), but I wished I had at least driven the 3500. It probably wouldn’t have been that much more expensive. I have a 24RDS and it tows fine with payload to spare, but the 3500 may have allowed me to upgrade the trailer in the future.

The onboard TPMS would be a good addition also. And the rear drop down bumper step. Or at least get an aftermarket step.
Techmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:13 PM   #67
Halcyon

Add-on’s to Ram for high altitude, snowy weather

If you plan to do a lot of high altitude, steep grades, get the 3500, as others have said, but get the diesel. A gasser at 10,000 feet just runs out of breath and eats fuel. The diesel exhaust brake is an amazing help going down the “Ike challenge” pass (AKA Eisenhower tunnels). Also, if you drive in deep snow, you will not want duallys. They ride on top of the snow and just spin.
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #68
Ramtop

A couple of lottery tickets to pay for the truck everyone is building for you!!
Old 02-12-2023, 03:22 PM   #69
wayne30152

Maybe another tank in the back. I have a 45 gal. that I bought from Northern Tools. Really cuts down on gas stations and we all know it’s not fun getting in and out
wayne30152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:23 PM   #70
OkCamper

What bed does your Dodge have?
OkCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:16 PM   #71
MrWizard1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Hello, I am in the process of buying a new RAM 2500 Big Horn truck. The dealer has to order it, so wanted to ask if there are any features that people have found helpful when pulling a 5th wheel or features they wish they had? I am including the 5th wheel prep, my 5th wheel is the Cougar 25RES. Thanks in advance for your insight.

We have a 2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually and the most useful thing that came on our Laramie edition was the auto leveling system from the factory. If you are ordering the truck anyway order it with the fifth wheel/gooseneck mounting system in the bed and I am not sure if you have to add the auto leveling as a separate option or if it comes with the trailer tow package. That auto leveling is the best, as you hitch up and the weight goes onto the fifth wheel the rear of the truck will momentarily go down and if you are outside of the truck when you lower the weight onto the hitch all you will hear is click, click, click and the truck will automatically raise back up to its normal ride height.
MrWizard1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM   #72
wiredgeorge

The OP hasn't been on the site since last September. Suggestions are probably not getting through.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote